Interest for a new series 2x gt lenght (AMA standard) and true endurance

Started by SV88, October 29, 2013, 05:09:55 AM

SV88

So I'm battling a bit of jet lag just having landed from visiting my dad in Deutchland (no we're British/Canadians & I'm now a Yank - don't ask) but my brain is working, so 2 suggestions:

1.  I really like the GT class so would there be interest in running a race twice the GT length much like the AMA races.  Something of the order of 40 min?  This could be initially one race like the team challenge.

2.  Team challenges are becoming ridiculously short.  As we switch back to full race weekends, how about 3-6 hour races kinda like CMRA runs.  WERA has a pretty successful series shorter than CCS TC and longer the the CMRA BBE.

This is totally self serving because I've never been and probably won't ever be a competitive MW sprint racer.  As I get older, my endurance is getting better so I find myself gravitating to these longer events - I really like the team thing in racing also.
Fastsv650/SVR6/Steve sv23
09R6rdrace,13KTM250xc enduro,03SV1000N, 99-02 sv650 project
ret. CCS MW/FL/SE 88  Moto A SSP 881

Burt Munro

Bigger question is how many people would be willing to pay the corresponding higher race entry fees that would be required. Unfortunately you can't have it both ways.... Longer races means fewer races on the daily schedule and less revenue opportunities to pay the track rental, staffing, ambulance and insurance bills.

I guess the other option would be to go with minimal practice sessions.

Now if you could get more riders out on the track on a consistent basis like it was a number of years ago, it might be doable. But those days are probably gone forever.

Not really a good solution out there unfortunately.
Founding member of the 10,000+ smite club.  Ask me how you can join!

Xian_13

For the record;
This year ASRA had two 3 hour races. The one in New Jersey had the 2nd best attendance this year (Daytona was first).

WERA's series was cut to 4 rounds last year and only ran 5 rounds this year? Attendance really isn't bet or worst the the ASRA rounds.

Longer GT races, for sure...

-X
CCS/ASRA Midwest #140
Secondary Highway & Swift Molly's Motor Circus
facebook.com/SwiftMolly
Michelin • STT

Gino230

I really enjoy the longer races. I liked GTL in Daytona at 25 min because I am not a strong starter, therefore I have a better opportunity to make up positions. Also it pays for a guy like me who trains a little bit, and focuses on machine reliability.

Daytona the TC was tough, it's very hard on equipment, especially the LW bikes. Because they are air cooled at the very least you will need to freshen up the heads. Jeff Puleo and I got second in GTL and Charlie Mavros, Chris Boy, and Seth Starnes got first. We were both on air cooled Ducatis and both motors are coming apart after that race. Exhaust valve guides are shot, among other things.

As far as the Florida events, it's nearly impossible. I think even the GT races are 6 laps. They were at 9 for a while, but now that there's like 21 races in a day it's just impossible. Cutting practice time isn't likely because alot of people coming into the sport need to have the lower stress of practice time available to them.
CCS / ASRA EX # 23
2012 Ducati 848 / 1100 Conversion     2005 Ducati 749RS
2006 CCS Florida Thunderbike Champion (AM)
2008 CCS LW Supersport National Champion (EX) 2nd in 2011 and now  2012....damn you Mavros!

grasslander

Quote from: Gino230 on November 07, 2013, 09:47:11 PM
Daytona the TC was tough, it's very hard on equipment, especially the LW bikes...     ....We were both on air cooled Ducatis and both motors are coming apart after that race. Exhaust valve guides are shot, among other things

Are you saying if the TC at Daytona had been another 30 minutes longer the G-Baby SV650 might have one that round?
CCS #413 CMRA #413
G-Baby Racing Endurance Team
2013 ASRA Team Challenge GTL National Champions
2015 US National Endurance Series LW National Champions

Burt Munro

Quote from: grasslander on November 18, 2013, 06:31:49 PM
Are you saying if the TC at Daytona had been another 30 minutes longer the G-Baby SV650 might have one that round?
Wow! To think that you might have won that round too! :-)
Founding member of the 10,000+ smite club.  Ask me how you can join!