Bridgestone R10 Race DOT's - Tire Pressures/Compound

Started by Sunken, August 15, 2013, 10:56:11 AM

Sunken

I have 3 R10 tires to test and have a few questions for the guys who've used them before.

Front:
Type 3 - Medium

Rear:
Type 3 Medium
Type 2 Hard

What tire pressure have you guys found to work best on these? With warmers (before hitting the track) & pressure when you come in? I've also heard these tires tend to lose some air while out, especially the front. Morning sessions are effected even more. Any truth to this?

Curious what setup (front/rear) you guys prefer, obviously this depends on track, temperature, and a boat load of other things. Also, how do you think the R10's compare to SC's, Racetecs, etc? Any insight is appreciated.

MELK-MAN

i highly suggest you talk with your trackside tire vendor.. they are usually the best source for this info.
2012 FL region & 2014 South East overall champion
Pro Flow Tech Performance Fuel Injector Service
MICHELIN, EBC, Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice

Sunken

Quote from: MELK-MAN on August 17, 2013, 01:06:26 PM
i highly suggest you talk with your trackside tire vendor.. they are usually the best source for this info.

I'd love to, but the org I ride with most often only sells Pirelli's.

burniepd

Front 28-29 cold  most like 32-34 hot

Rear 26 cold bleed out anything over 30 hot. 

type 2 rear tears up fast and most have switched to the type 3 rears.

kvanengen

I've been testing the R-10's the past few weekends and what psi works best. What I have found to work best is roughly 34-ish psi in the front and 26-ish in the rear. That's hot of the track. (Cold F.30 R.22) Truth is there is very little data on these tires. I've been working with my track side vender to get these numbers and I'm still not sold that they're correct. Close enough to get you started though. The rear could use an extra pound or two for longer life. I hope that helps.

Buell487

This last weekend I was running 33 in the front and 27 in the rear hot in the warmers right before heading out.  That setup worked great for me though you may have to tweak slightly for you and your bike.  The biggest thing I've found is that you have to keep the pressure up in the front otherwise the carcass deforms too much and you get a diving feeling through the middle of the corner.
CCS Midwest #111 AM

Sunken

Thanks for the feedback. For peace of mind I'm on a 2012 Triumph Daytona 675R, not sure if any of you guys are on the same bike testing the same tires. Yeah, there's really not much info on these tires, it's off-putting.

The rep I spoke w/recommended 34f/32r - off warmers. That seemed too high as the rear felt like it was sliding quite a bit - Type 3 front | Type 2 rear. I tried dropping the front & rear a lb 33f/31r, that seemed to work a little bit better. I was thinking of trying something like 32-33f/30-28r next day out. Maybe I just don't like how the Type 2 rear feels. It also might not have been warm enough out to warrant that compound - 75, among other things. I was thinking of swapping the rear for the Type 3 next time out. I really don't care about tire longevity, just what offers the most grip.

So the take from this is keeping the front high works for pretty much everyone. That's good, as the front felt pretty planted this past weekend, the rear seemed to be the issue.

kvanengen

Any lower than 32 in the front and you may find mid corner chatter. The side wall is relatively stiff on the R-10's. If you don't have enough pressure the sidewall will snap (Most fitting word I can give you) back and forth creating a very uneasy chattering feeling. That's just what I found though.

Sunken

Quote from: kvanengen on August 20, 2013, 04:35:26 PM
Any lower than 32 in the front and you may find mid corner chatter. The side wall is relatively stiff on the R-10's. If you don't have enough pressure the sidewall will snap (Most fitting word I can give you) back and forth creating a very uneasy chattering feeling. That's just what I found though.

Good to know. I wasn't planning on dropping the front below 32, as I think the main issue is the rear. Any issues with the rear being lower than the "recommendation?" I'm seeing anywhere from 26 - 32 from you guys. I think I'll start with 30 & go down from there, if need be.

kvanengen

Quote from: Sunken on August 20, 2013, 05:02:10 PM

Good to know. I wasn't planning on dropping the front below 32, as I think the main issue is the rear. Any issues with the rear being lower than the "recommendation?" I'm seeing anywhere from 26 - 32 from you guys. I think I'll start with 30 & go down from there, if need be.

That's a good idea to start at 30-ish, Sunken. Bike to bike will of course be different, but I can tell you that the rear also like a bit more psi than others.

Sunken

Quote from: kvanengen on August 22, 2013, 05:31:50 PM
That's a good idea to start at 30-ish, Sunken. Bike to bike will of course be different, but I can tell you that the rear also like a bit more psi than others.

That seems to be the general consensus here - both tires like more air than most others. Definitely more than any of the tires I've used in the past. 

sonicnofadz

Front tire needs high pressure to work properly, otherwise it just deforms and results in sliding/front end tucks.  The new type 4 soft front is a much better tire, slightly stiffer carcass compared to the medium.  Use 32-37 psi hot for the front.  Rear is 28-33 psi hot. Most do not have problems with the rear, (rear gives pretty epic levels of grip, but can be prone to tearing easily).  Most complain about the front tire, especially when comparing it to the UK ntec.