pirelli dot race tire

Started by deniro149, July 18, 2013, 08:02:02 AM

deniro149

Hi everyone.I'm about to try out pirelli supercorsas.
I'm coming off bstones r10s.I'm  curious how supercorsas work.I'm lil confused with their compound temperature ranges since they recommend supersoftsc1 blue on high temps and sc1 greens wich are soft (harder than sc1s) for lower temps.
Can somebody expplain this a lil bit and also give me some tire pressures that work well with these.
Thank you in advance guys :cheers:

supercarl

Let me know how that works out for ya! I'm running the R10's too and have always been curious to how the pirellis perform.
Super Carl Soltisz #620 facebook.com/supercracing
Sponsors: Michelin, Sportbike Tire Service, TSE, Nexx WrecksNRestorations, Vortex, Moto-D, Pop Shadow, Galfer, Spy, Armor Bodies, GoPro, Sidi, AGV Sport, MotoNation, Hindle, Motion Pro, Zero Gravity, Bernat PC, GP Tech, & All Balls Racing

MELK-MAN

i suggest calling your regional trackside vendor
2012 FL region & 2014 South East overall champion
Pro Flow Tech Performance Fuel Injector Service
MICHELIN, EBC, Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice

kvanengen

Yes, calling the trackside vender is a good idea. This is what I've found from years of running them on a LW bike.

Pirelli makes a very solid tire. I ran them for years and recently tried out the R-10 to see what the hype is all about. I would like to address that it's important to note what bike you're riding when asking for feedback. Anyways, I'll pass along some general info. 33psi hot in the front and roughly 26psi hot in the rear. I run the same pressure on both compounds. Those are the numbers Pirelli will tell you. Here's the rub. It really depends on your bike, set-up,track, temps and all of the other variables out there. Those are good safe numbers to use as a starting point.

As for choosing between the SC1 (soft) and SC2 (med) it depends on temp, what life vs. grip you're looking for and how well you're suspension is set up. The SC1 will provide a bit more grip, although, you'll see shorter life. I found the SC1 to work well on 50 degree days to 80 degree days. Anything hotter than 80 degrees I found myself on the SC2. The last rear I throw on was an SC2. I went with the SC2 because I was tuning in a new shock and I've found the SC2 holds up a bit better. Both tires are incredible.

I hope that helps even a little. Give them a shot, I'll bet you'll like them.

Jwhite316

Quote from: kvanengen on July 28, 2013, 10:27:11 PM
Yes, calling the trackside vender is a good idea. This is what I've found from years of running them on a LW bike.

Pirelli makes a very solid tire. I ran them for years and recently tried out the R-10 to see what the hype is all about. I would like to address that it's important to note what bike you're riding when asking for feedback. Anyways, I'll pass along some general info. 33psi hot in the front and roughly 26psi hot in the rear. I run the same pressure on both compounds. Those are the numbers Pirelli will tell you. Here's the rub. It really depends on your bike, set-up,track, temps and all of the other variables out there. Those are good safe numbers to use as a starting point.

As for choosing between the SC1 (soft) and SC2 (med) it depends on temp, what life vs. grip you're looking for and how well you're suspension is set up. The SC1 will provide a bit more grip, although, you'll see shorter life. I found the SC1 to work well on 50 degree days to 80 degree days. Anything hotter than 80 degrees I found myself on the SC2. The last rear I throw on was an SC2. I went with the SC2 because I was tuning in a new shock and I've found the SC2 holds up a bit better. Both tires are incredible.

I hope that helps even a little. Give them a shot, I'll bet you'll like them.

This was my thought exactly....softer tire offers more grip but less life. And softer compound on colder days.  However, I did find the tech data that Deniro is talking about on Pirelli's website...http://www.pirelli.com/tire/us/en/motorcycle/sheet/diablo_supercorsa_sc.html   For the front tire, they reccomend a harder compound for warmer track temps but for the rear they recommend a softer compound for warmer track temps.  I would've thought that they both call for a harder compound as the temp increases...
Well how could there be two number 1's? It'd be number 11 then?

ekraft84

We've used the SC1 (blue) rears for years - everywhere.  Grattan, Mid-Ohio, BeaveRun, Blackhawk, Nelson Ledges, Barber, VIR, etc. in a variety of temps. 

The longevity of the latest V2 SC1 is so good.  We ran the same tires at Grattan for Saturday and Sunday's races (including practice), which we've never done before.  At Mid-Ohio, we ran the same tires in 8 sprint races - which can be difficult as Mid-O can be tricky with tires.

As for fronts, we run the SC2 front, but many run the SC1 front.  It's more a matter of personal preference/feel in my opinion.
Eddie Kraft - #48
Witchkraft Racing
Honda East Racing - Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki, Aprilia

ekraft84

Quote from: deniro149 on July 18, 2013, 08:02:02 AM
Hi everyone.I'm about to try out pirelli supercorsas.
I'm coming off bstones r10s.I'm  curious how supercorsas work.I'm lil confused with their compound temperature ranges since they recommend supersoftsc1 blue on high temps and sc1 greens wich are soft (harder than sc1s) for lower temps.
Can somebody expplain this a lil bit and also give me some tire pressures that work well with these.
Thank you in advance guys :cheers:

Hot pressures are generally 32/26 hot.  If running the SC1 front, you may go up to 34psi hot.

As with all tires, it's important to check the pressures before you go out, as well as right when you come in.  Properly heat soaking the tire/wheel is key, as well as minimizing any pressure jumps or drops that can occur from a really hot, or cold track in the morning.

Hope that helps.  All in all, checking with your local tire vendor as mentioned is the way to go.
Eddie Kraft - #48
Witchkraft Racing

flyboy75

Maybe I have this wrong, but I think they recommend a harder compound in cooler temps to resist tearing. I've also had tire guys recommend a slightly higher pressure in cooler temps to generate more heat in the tire. Maybe someone with more knowledge can elaborate

kvanengen

Wow. For the first time people are generally on the same page.

"32/26" Sure, same difference. Truthfully I run 31/26 which is 2 pounds lighter than our vender recommends. The 33 front numbers is from our local vender.  Different folks, different strokes. This gets back to what's best for you. Either way you have a safe range to work off of.

As for different compounds in different temperatures, get ready for a can of worms. I found true exactly opposite to what they say. Wouldn't be the first time I've done something backwards though. What's weird is that I destroyed a soft R-10 in 8 laps on a hot day. The tire clearly read that heat destroyed it.  I know, different carcass, hardness etc...  I'll have to put more thought into that theory. 

Good thread guys. I'm going to step out of this because I don't generally feel comfortable giving specific advice to someone with zero info. Only general knowledge which I have already done.

Although, this is the internet therefore whatever I post must be true.  :biggrin:

ATCR550

Quote from: ekraft84 on July 29, 2013, 11:33:02 AM
Hot pressures are generally 32/26 hot.  If running the SC1 front, you may go up to 34psi hot.

As with all tires, it's important to check the pressures before you go out, as well as right when you come in.  Properly heat soaking the tire/wheel is key, as well as minimizing any pressure jumps or drops that can occur from a really hot, or cold track in the morning.

Hope that helps.  All in all, checking with your local tire vendor as mentioned is the way to go.

Erik, are your hot temperatures off the warmers or off the track?  I am running the SC1 front now and I plan to start running the SC1 rear after reading your experience.

I currently run front SC1 at 31psi off the warmers.  I'm looking for a little more ease on getting the bike over.  Right now it seems I have to apply pressure to the handle bars to steepen the lean angle.

ekraft84

Quote from: ATCR550 on July 29, 2013, 06:19:54 PM
Erik, are your hot temperatures off the warmers or off the track?  I am running the SC1 front now and I plan to start running the SC1 rear after reading your experience.

I currently run front SC1 at 31psi off the warmers.  I'm looking for a little more ease on getting the bike over.  Right now it seems I have to apply pressure to the handle bars to steepen the lean angle.

Off the track, ideally.  At Mid-O a couple weeks ago for example - the front and rear would come in 1-2 pounds lower than what we set it at, in the earlier morning sessions.  We bumped up the pressures to accommodate, so we'd get 32/26 off the track.  After lunch as the track got more heat in it, the pressures leveled off - so we set the tires at 32/26 going out and they'd come back at the same or within half a pound.

That's why it's important to check pressures before going out and after each session - at least early on.  Generally at most tracks in our experience, the pressures don't fluctuate in the afternoon after the temperature comes up, the wheel/tire gets consistent heat in it, etc. etc.  Those morning sessions are good to be extra diligent - just to make sure you know where you're at - regardless of tire brand.  You don't want handling issues, or irregular tire wearing coming from something simple like pressures.  Ensuring that is consistent is an easy thing to do.

You really cannot go wrong with the SC1 rear.  It's easy to hear things like this on the internet, but that tire has been good everywhere we race at for the last 3-4 years now - and the latest V2 SC1 rear is even better.  We run it everywhere, regardless of temperature, and get more life out of it than we ever have.  With that said, every track is different so you may need to make suspension adjustments if you see any irregular wear (Mid-O for example, where we made a couple tweaks and were good).  For reference, here's a photo of a V2 SC1 rear:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38993804@N00/8768049826/in/photostream/

That tire is from Grattan, after running the Solo 20 race on Saturday, along with 4 practice sessions Sunday morning and 4 sprint races on Sunday as well.  Laptimes were about half a second within the lap record around that track.  We later rode on that tire for two track days at BeaveRun and Mid-Ohio, putting over 100 laps on it by the end.  We never used to do that. 

As far as the SC1 front - in my opinion, I would try bumping up to 33-34psi in the front and see how that works.  In my experience, the SC1 has so much grip - sometimes the carcass can flex without enough air in the tire, causing the bike to not hold it's line if your bike isn't dialed in to it.  I personally went to the SC2 front because I was feeling "too much" grip with the SC1.  It doesn't sound like it makes sense, but when I put the SC2 front on, I felt more comfortable on it.  However there are plenty of fast experts running the SC1 front without any issues.  Again, it's just personal preference.  I have also yet to try a V2 SC1 front - according to Pirelli, it's supposed to be improved from the 2012 model tire.

Hope that helps.  This is just my opinion based on running Pirelli's for quite some time and the results we've had with them.

Eddie
Eddie Kraft - #48
Witchkraft Racing

ATCR550

Quote from: ekraft84 on July 30, 2013, 08:36:23 AM
Off the track, ideally.  At Mid-O a couple weeks ago for example - the front and rear would come in 1-2 pounds lower than what we set it at, in the earlier morning sessions.  We bumped up the pressures to accommodate, so we'd get 32/26 off the track.  After lunch as the track got more heat in it, the pressures leveled off - so we set the tires at 32/26 going out and they'd come back at the same or within half a pound.

That's why it's important to check pressures before going out and after each session - at least early on.  Generally at most tracks in our experience, the pressures don't fluctuate in the afternoon after the temperature comes up, the wheel/tire gets consistent heat in it, etc. etc.  Those morning sessions are good to be extra diligent - just to make sure you know where you're at - regardless of tire brand.  You don't want handling issues, or irregular tire wearing coming from something simple like pressures.  Ensuring that is consistent is an easy thing to do.

You really cannot go wrong with the SC1 rear.  It's easy to hear things like this on the internet, but that tire has been good everywhere we race at for the last 3-4 years now - and the latest V2 SC1 rear is even better.  We run it everywhere, regardless of temperature, and get more life out of it than we ever have.  With that said, every track is different so you may need to make suspension adjustments if you see any irregular wear (Mid-O for example, where we made a couple tweaks and were good).  For reference, here's a photo of a V2 SC1 rear:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38993804@N00/8768049826/in/photostream/

That tire is from Grattan, after running the Solo 20 race on Saturday, along with 4 practice sessions Sunday morning and 4 sprint races on Sunday as well.  Laptimes were about half a second within the lap record around that track.  We later rode on that tire for two track days at BeaveRun and Mid-Ohio, putting over 100 laps on it by the end.  We never used to do that. 

As far as the SC1 front - in my opinion, I would try bumping up to 33-34psi in the front and see how that works.  In my experience, the SC1 has so much grip - sometimes the carcass can flex without enough air in the tire, causing the bike to not hold it's line if your bike isn't dialed in to it.  I personally went to the SC2 front because I was feeling "too much" grip with the SC1.  It doesn't sound like it makes sense, but when I put the SC2 front on, I felt more comfortable on it.  However there are plenty of fast experts running the SC1 front without any issues.  Again, it's just personal preference.  I have also yet to try a V2 SC1 front - according to Pirelli, it's supposed to be improved from the 2012 model tire.

Hope that helps.  This is just my opinion based on running Pirelli's for quite some time and the results we've had with them.

Eddie

Erik,

Thank you for taking the time to write that!  I am usually checking pressures before I go out and just before every session in the morning until lunch and then around 3pm or so just before the peak heat of the day (in PA).

The rear tire on your bike looks fantastic and further reinforces my decision.

As for the front, I will bump the pressure.  It feels like the tire is flexing and the front feels "tight" or "stiff" under hard braking (AM talent here).  The wear on the front is very good right now as the suspension is dialed in by a tuner. 

I was leery going to a SC2 front due to it being too stiff for an amateur like myself.  I'll experiment with the front SC1 now and fiddle with the SC2 at some track days before I commit to a race on it.

Thanks again, Erik!

ATCR550

Don't know why I keep typing Erik.   

My apologies, Eddie.

Btw, cool pics on your flkr account! :cheers:

Pirelli Tire Guy

To those posting and looking for info for your bike on the Pirelli tires, please feel free to give me a call or drop me an email. I am James Bock, the southeast Pirelli vendor, and have taken care of a few of the guys here making posts. I am available almost always and get back to all the racers quickly. Hope to hear from you all.
James Bock
Podium Motorsports
912 655 1433

ekraft84

Quote from: Pirelli Tire Guy on July 31, 2013, 06:03:56 PM
To those posting and looking for info for your bike on the Pirelli tires, please feel free to give me a call or drop me an email. I am James Bock, the southeast Pirelli vendor, and have taken care of a few of the guys here making posts. I am available almost always and get back to all the racers quickly. Hope to hear from you all.
James Bock
Podium Motorsports
912 655 1433

James is a good guy.  He knows the Pirelli brand, and has had experience with other brands as well - which makes for accurate comparisons IMO.
Eddie Kraft - #48
Witchkraft Racing

sonicnofadz

So how do the pirelli's compare to the bridgestone r10's?

Pirelli Tire Guy

Sonic I sent you a message in reference your question between tires. So for the rest of the racers that are reading this post, it is a great place to start to find out some information, but there are so many variables on this subject that it is easier to call. I need to ask so many questions regarding bike, tracks, set up, and then the ever changing conditions through out the year. I really love and enjoy what I do as a Pirelli rep, and have been a tire guy/rep since the late 90's with the "other" brand. Dont hesitate to drop me and email or call me personally.
James Bock
Podium Motorsports-Pirelli Rep
PodiumMS@yahoo.com

sdiver68

I've run both compounds all season and noticed hot tearing on my SV unless I run at the upper limit of the recommended air pressure range in back or even +1 cold.  I also think it's weird how Pirelli reverses the sc1/sc2 designations for front and rear.  But I've gotten good results all year and love the tires!
MCRA Race School Instructor

deniro149

I want to thank all of you for very usefull info.
Im on my third set of these and I love everything about them.The grip, feel and tire life is awesome!!!!!
I get about 3 days on the SC2 green (180/60) in 80+degree day.The SC1 (180/60) from my experience is little soft for hot days and wears quicker.
Again im telling you guys what I've experienced on my bike and set up.others can have different feedback.
This was a great thread and I thank you all for your inputs again.See you at the track :cheers: