Is this helmet legal?

Started by Propson351, July 15, 2013, 04:19:16 PM

Propson351

I'm debating if I want to or can afford to get into the wonderful world of track days / racing.  In a few weeks I plan to do a track day at Blackhawk and my brother has offered his race prepped GSX-R600 as a test mule.  Also, I can rent leathers, gloves, and boots at the track.  So far the hardest thing to find is a helmet.  Everyone I know that street rides has a helmet that too old or too cheap.  I did find one that is less than a year old and meets the European standard of ECE 22 - 05.  The CCS rulebook states this as an accepatable standard except for the CCS rule also has a "P" after the part #.  So my question is, would this helmet work or so I need the "P"?

Helmet Link:  http://www.ssgear.com/catalog/item.cfm?ItemsID=bf10082c-97de-4c93-acda-a52738b4fe2a

CCS Rules: 
5.1.1 Undamaged full-face helmet with face shield and bearing a stamp of approval from
one of the following international standards:
Snell M2005 and M2010 (USA) (Snell M2005 will remain valid as long as the rider can
prove a date of manufacturer within the last 5 years)
BS. 6658 TYPE. A (GREAT - BRITAIN), ECE 22 - 04 & ECE 22 - 05 "P" (EUROPE), JIS
8133:2000 / JIS 8133:2007 (JAPAN) (JIS 8133:2000 will remain valid as long as the rider
can prove a date of manufacturer within the last 5 years))
A. It is required that all riders put their competition number on the chin bar or side

Thanks for any feedback!!

proechel539

Just bought a Bell RS-1 from these guys here, they have good prices and it shipped fast, check it out. It may help you out. I bought the optional dark smoked shield also.

http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/brands/bell

Darrell Proechel
CCS Ex # 76
02 SV-650, 06 GSXR750
proechel1@comcast.net

MAZZ77X

I mean this with no offense intended but if your looking at a $160 helmet then you can't afford to go racing.

Propson351

Yeah I know it makes me sound cheap.  It's a helemt I can borrow for one time to decide if I can/want to get into another hobby.  If so, then I'll spend the $$ to get a nice lid.  I'm quite aware that this is a wonderfully quick way to make my wallet nice and thin!!  I already race MX and ride snowmobiles so this would just be the icing on the cake.

Gixxerblade

Borrow a helmet before you put the POS on your head and try crashing at 150 mph.

nevenelestate

Are you saying that the helmet you would borrow is that SS helmet? if so, doesn't it have a Snell rating? On the sticker inside with the date it should say snell tested. Secondly, if you are doing a trackday then why are you worried about CCS rules for helmet? What does the TD org you are planning to ride with say about helmets? You would probably be better off with a higher quality older helmet, rather than a cheap new helmet. IMO

Jwhite316

Quote from: nevenelestate on July 16, 2013, 09:32:05 AM
Are you saying that the helmet you would borrow is that SS helmet? if so, doesn't it have a Snell rating? On the sticker inside with the date it should say snell tested. Secondly, if you are doing a trackday then why are you worried about CCS rules for helmet? What does the TD org you are planning to ride with say about helmets? You would probably be better off with a higher quality older helmet, rather than a cheap new helmet. IMO

I agree...I'd never buy a helmet that isn't Snell approved.  I'm sure the European ratings are good but I'm just not familiar with them.  I think buying an older higher end model is the way to go IMO.  Seems like people are more interested in how the helmet looks than the safety standards.  I bought a Ben Spies replica helmet which 4 years ago was HJC's top shelf helmet for about $150 brand new.  When it first came out it was around $400.  I think its best not to sacrifice safety for saving a few pennies.
Well how could there be two number 1's? It'd be number 11 then?

nevenelestate

I'm not saying the Euro standards aren't good, just that I thought Speed & Strength is an American company so it should have DOT/SNELL. I raced with a Shark I bought in Austria till it was over the five year mark, trusted it all the way.

Kurlon

That helmet isn't LRRS legal as it's a plastic shell, FYI.