Need sound advice on next steps...

Started by nickxx4360, July 12, 2013, 02:36:28 PM

nickxx4360

Need some really sound advise on my next steps. I have an 06 gsxr 600 all stock. Looking to do more track days in 2014 and then start club racing in 2015.I am trying to figure out what I should with my suspension because I am not confident in it at all. It does not perform like it did when I first got the bike in 06.I never had it rebuilt. I am trying to get the best bang for my buck. Should I:

1. Get my suspension re built and revalved, resprung (front and rear) this year for more performance even though I plan to do only 3 more track days for the year, keep it like that for the 2014 season then get a SV650 to race with in 2015.

2. Leave the bike as is and at the beginning of the 2014 season, get a aftermarket rear shock and only rebuild the forks (no revalving).

3. In 2014, get a used, fully race built 2nd gen SV650 with everything thing done to the bike already ( fork internal and aftermarket shocks etc.) get my skill up more with that bike in 2014 and then start racing with the SV650 in 2015.

I don't plan to race a 600 at all even though I love them :-). Trying to figure out the best route, cash and learning wise.
Thanks guys.

supercarl

I vote option 3 as it will give you time to get used to the bike and set it up right before you start racing it. It is also the more cost effective route as its alot cheaper buying an already set up race bike then buying the parts new and doing it yourself to a stock bike. I would also recomend getting your suspension rebuilt for the last few trackdays you plan this year. 6 years is a really long time to have never been freshened. that being said, if you are that strapped for cash you can keep running it. people have done worse. lol
Super Carl Soltisz #620 facebook.com/supercracing
Sponsors: Michelin, Sportbike Tire Service, TSE, Nexx WrecksNRestorations, Vortex, Moto-D, Pop Shadow, Galfer, Spy, Armor Bodies, GoPro, Sidi, AGV Sport, MotoNation, Hindle, Motion Pro, Zero Gravity, Bernat PC, GP Tech, & All Balls Racing

nickxx4360

Quote from: supercarl on July 12, 2013, 02:49:21 PM
I vote option 3 as it will give you time to get used to the bike and set it up right before you start racing it. It is also the more cost effective route as its alot cheaper buying an already set up race bike then buying the parts new and doing it yourself to a stock bike. I would also recomend getting your suspension rebuilt for the last few trackdays you plan this year. 6 years is a really long time to have never been freshened. that being said, if you are that strapped for cash you can keep running it. people have done worse. lol

Thanks for the reply. I see what you are saying. I only  riddin a twin when I test rode a Penagale, thats it i will have to learn the the way the bike rides for sure on the track. the rebuild would be nice but that's atleast three track days if I do front and rear. Maybe my wife can hook me up for my birthday coming up :-)

leeroy996

Quote from: nickxx4360 on July 12, 2013, 02:59:04 PM
Thanks for the reply. I see what you are saying. I only  riddin a twin when I test rode a Penagale, thats it i will have to learn the the way the bike rides for sure on the track. the rebuild would be nice but that's atleast three track days if I do front and rear. Maybe my wife can hook me up for my birthday coming up :-)

Option 3.  Be careful buying a used race bike, especially an SV.  They are not GSXR quality and most people even race shops don't maintain their bikes properly.

nickxx4360

Thanks for the heads up! darn  :banghead:  always somthing.

leeroy996

Quote from: nickxx4360 on July 12, 2013, 03:25:19 PM
Thanks for the heads up! darn  :banghead:  always somthing.

A stock engine SV is the way to go.  They are cheap to buy, cheap to fix and handle well out of the box.

MELK-MAN

race whatever you can, whenever you can. And sooner than later to learn racecraft.  Scared of racing a 600 cause you think the riders are crazy ?? Let me tell you, the lt wt class can be crazy. Don't have any illusions it's "pancakes and roses" just cause the class has less HP as a whole.
2012 FL region & 2014 South East overall champion
Pro Flow Tech Performance Fuel Injector Service
MICHELIN, EBC, Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice

flyboy75

Quote from: nickxx4360 on July 12, 2013, 02:59:04 PM

It'll cost a lot more than 3 track days if you crash because your suspension isn't working properly. We all have a budget, but doing the right thing will probably be less expensive in the long run

proechel539

You can send you're stock stuff to LE Suspension and Ed Sorbo can set it up pretty well by just re-valving and re-springing the OEM stuff. It would be night and day to what you have now!
Darrell Proechel
CCS Ex # 76
02 SV-650, 06 GSXR750
proechel1@comcast.net