new noob looking for a place to start...ULTB???

Started by kneedragon88, July 10, 2013, 01:27:01 PM

kneedragon88

Hello Everyone,

I'm excited to be part of this forum and hopefully soon be part of the racing community!  I've been riding for about 9 years and have done trackdays for a couple of years. I'm currently riding an 06 Daytona 675 and I've had previous experience on cbr's, the fz6, sv650s and gs500f.  Now I love my Daytona to death but would like to try keep my wallet (and my wife) happy so I've been looking into the good ole 250 class (Ultralight Thunderbike).  From what I've read it seems to be a pretty competitive field with a huge fun factor.  BUT, (I know this will probalby spark a topic that has been thoroughly discussed previously) with the new 300 ninja being released I'm slightly hesitant on where to start.  I've read other posts stating that a lot of you have done a Gentlemans agreement to leave your 250's unmodified and I love that!  I like a class that is going to base who is running where on rider ability not how much bling you have.  But if the 300's start to become more prevalent in the field I'm worried that might change things.  I just would hate to have to go buy a new 300 to race in this class, when I could go buy a 250 ninja cheaper that is race prepped but not be competitive....

Again, I'm not looking to spark a heated debate against the CCS rules or this or that.  I'm just looking for some direction on a good place to start.  I've already checked out the 250 ninja and cbr250r forum to see which direction I might want to go. But I'd like some more opinions!  It seems the ninja is still the main choice and after watching the races this last weekend at Road America I have to say it looks like a lot of fun!  I got some decent pictures of some good 250 battling!

Thanks in advance for all of your insight!

supercarl

new noob = redundant  :lmao: haha just giving you a hard time  :biggrin:

From a cost standpoint 250 racing is the way to go. I'd stick with the 250 instead of the 300 as well, because parts for those things are a dime a dozen. My friend Bubba just started racing them, bumping down from the middleweight class and he says they are a ton of fun. I about lost my mind this weekend when he blew his motor and said he could get another one for 200-300 bucks. wish it was that cheap to fix the 600s!
Super Carl Soltisz #620 facebook.com/supercracing
Sponsors: Michelin, Sportbike Tire Service, TSE, Nexx WrecksNRestorations, Vortex, Moto-D, Pop Shadow, Galfer, Spy, Armor Bodies, GoPro, Sidi, AGV Sport, MotoNation, Hindle, Motion Pro, Zero Gravity, Bernat PC, GP Tech, & All Balls Racing

kneedragon88

Haha I know I was just trying to really rub in the fact that I'm well new :D.  I appreciate the insight, that does help. From searching on this forum it sounds like most will be sticking with their 250's. Although I'm a bit intrigued by the cbr too.... Either way. Thanks! :thumb:

bruce71198

nevenelestate

Buy an SV and race LW/ULW classes and have a blast!  :thumb:

bruce71198

Ninja 250 !!!! This bike is the perfect place to start. Cheap to buy and a race weekend won't cost you your paycheck, tires last forever, and then some, you only need to bring 5 gallons of regular gas to the track each weekend . Also they have been building tis bike forever so in the event something brakes parts are cheap and plentiful.

MAZZ77X

I agree the Ninja 250 is where it's at for new racers. The grids are still light but filling each week. The racing is good and super cheap. Most of all you can ride the wheels off the bike squeezing it for everything it has and smile the whole time.

MUZ720

Your 250 is only good in one class.   Race An SV650  1st Gens are cheap 2nd Gen are Fuel injected and strong bikes set up well 1st gens  can be made very competitive for Cheap money! They are easy to work-on .......LOTs of information and Parts.  Pretty much bullet proof also....
Race Four Plus Classes an Weekend and Enjoy.  Just add Tires .>;)

Jwhite316

Quote from: MUZ720 on July 14, 2013, 08:33:05 PM
Your 250 is only good in one class.   Race An SV650  1st Gens are cheap 2nd Gen are Fuel injected and strong bikes set up well 1st gens  can be made very competitive for Cheap money! They are easy to work-on .......LOTs of information and Parts.  Pretty much bullet proof also....

True the 250 is usable in only a couple of classes but it sounds like kneedraggin is looking to get his feet wet.  However your assumption that 1st gens can be made very competitive for a cheap money is a relatively untrue statement.(Im speaking midwest region since that is where Kneedragon would compete) As an amateur you can be very competitive on a stock sv, but in the expert class you really have little or no chance to be running at the front without putting serious dough into an SV.  Supersport SV's can be made extremely light and it is not cheap to do that.  For the other classes, you must have a motor making over 85HP to be winning races.  Also when you start pushing the boundaries of the SV, they are no longer "bulletproof".  Most bikes in their stock form are relatively reliable because they were designed to have several thousand miles put on them.
Well how could there be two number 1's? It'd be number 11 then?

bruce71198

Quote from: MUZ720 on July 14, 2013, 08:33:05 PM

Two classes ULMTB and ULWGTL. Also if theres enough of you at the track, enter Moto 3 and race amongst yourselves and the othe 2 125's that enter. The key to the original post was "beginner, getting feet wet". LW classes have gotten extremely competitive ($$$$) as of late.

bruce71198

OOOPS, went back and looked at OP and now retract my "beginner and get feet wet" statement. Must of been another post.

kneedragon88

I did consider the SV's, especially since I had one previously but I do like the 250 class since it is kind of like a spec class.  Sounds like a good place to start and there are some (somewhat) local series I could also race the 250 in.  Now it's just a matter of saving my pennies :)