News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Hooray!!!

Started by MightyDuc Racing, May 05, 2003, 07:16:51 PM

MightyDuc Racing

Well...the bike starts and runs strong with no odd noises, but there is a lot of smoke coming from the vertical cylinder when I rev it a bit.  It is most likely (and hopefully) either a bad ring, valve guide, or something along those lines causing the smoke.  It turns out that the oil on the rear tire was a totally different problem.  I had a banjo bolt back itself out about half way and it was flowing out there.  The smoke and the crash were probably a bit of a blessing since I crashed before I could run the motor dry and blow it up.  Either way, it looks like with under $100 in parts, some elbow grease, and a lot of JB Weld and fiberglass repair kits, I'll be ready for Moroso Memorial Weekend!  Woohoo!   ;D
MightyDuc Racing
CCS AM #944 - Florida Region
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:
Tomahawk Tires, Dunlop, AGV, Superbikes & Ski, SW Medical Supply, BCM

Bernie

Safety wire that puppy. :o

GAMEDIC

Glad to hear that..so i will see you at Robling right? ;D

james-redsv

Any bolt with oil behind it should be safety wired as the rule books states. The bike should not have passed tech!. :o You need to get that bike sorted before you hurt yourself or someone else. Im glad I couldnt make it to Jennings, you might have gotten me hurt if I had been there.  Dont take this the wrong way but you seem to be overly aggressive, riding over your head and putting yourself, others in more danger than needed. Remember this is Am racing and most if not all of us have to make it to a real job on Monday.  ???

MightyDuc Racing

Actually, the rule book does not require those to be wired.  I cleared it with tech before I got there AND once I was there.  It was wired on the old motor, and I am wiring it now.  I don't feel I'm riding over my head either.  I'm curious as to why you would say that.  The only reason I fell down is the oil on the tire.  I am quite capable of sliding the bike around the track without falling off of it. The run into the trees was just one of those racing deals and I was going for the lead.  Nothing too over-aggressive or I would've taken us both out.  

Greg....It's all up to the money now on Roebling.  If I have a monster month here at work, I'll be there...anything less and I can't. :(
MightyDuc Racing
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:

lil_thorny

hey mighty,
i'm no motorcycle mechanic, but i can only assume
that the motor doesn't like being upside down.
it may just be some oil burning from the chamber.
taht happened to my 600 when i went off a clover
as a squid .... but it worked itself out with some time
and good gas...
my .02
Benji.

MightyDuc Racing

Nah...it was smoking for half a lap before I went down.  They were just getting ready to black flag me.  Only smokes out of the right pipe.  I really think it's something that didn't break in properly on the new motor.  I'm calling BCM this morning.  I'll keep ya posted.
MightyDuc Racing
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:

lil_thorny

oh, well good luck with it.
Benji.
 too aggressive? is there such a thing...this is racing
isn't it? that's what i've been told anyhoo.
 three izzo......

tigerblade

Sounds like catastrophe was averted this time.  Woo hoo!   8)
Younger Oil Racing

The man with the $200K spine...

MightyDuc Racing

My wallet is relieved and pleasantly surprised...lol.
MightyDuc Racing
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:

tigerblade

Maybe Fate is trying to tell you something.  Like:

Trade it for a Honda while you still can...

;D
Younger Oil Racing

MightyDuc Racing

MightyDuc Racing
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:

james-redsv

Lets see, rule 5.2.13 in the CCS rule book says all oil, fuel and coolant carring hoses or lines must be secured at all conecteing points by clips, clamps, safety wire or otherwise secured by acceptable means. Yours wasnt and it shouldnt have passed tech! You need to reread what you wrote on your first post, A bad Weekend at Jennings, then you will understand why you sound like you were riding over your head. Almost running into someone, then running off the track, then almost hitting them again coming back onto the track. Sounds to me like you werent in control. I will surely stay away from you if you make it to Roebling. Please keep riding this bike, it seems like it cant even finish so you wont be a factor when the checked flag drops. ;D

MightyDuc Racing

I had established myself on the inside going into turn 3, and the other rider didn't see me.  So rather than take us both out, I grabbed a handful of brakes, clipped his rear with my front, and went straight through the grass at a section that goes left, right, then left again, thus sending me nearly into him again as he came around.  It was a racing incident.  Had I been "riding over my head" or "out of control", I would've taken us both out.  Instead, I managed, I say managed because you think I can't ride I guess, to keep in on two wheels at well over 120 mph through three sections of grass.  I called CCS and Henry DeGouw to check on my banjo bolts as to whether they needed to be wired, and was told no by all parties.  Then I had the bike double checked at tech since it was a new motor, and checked again after the first incident before going out for my second race.  As far as that goes, since I was once again riding beyond my abilities, I managed to run a 1:24.6 with oil on the rear tire and save a near highside in turn one, which is a 4th gear corner.  But I really suck and am a danger to all.  Did I mention that I didn't knock anybody else down?  If I make it to Roebling, and believe me, I want to, I doubt you'll have to worry about running anywhere near me.  Stick to track days if you don't want to ride with people that want to win.  I fully intend to keep getting faster, and I also don't believe I'm any danger to any other rider on the track.  Why don't you speak with the guys I was racing with and see what they have to say.  Michael Mills, Scuba Steve on this board, even John Linder, one of the top SV riding Experts in the country.  Then, once you have learned a bit more about me, come with an educated opinion. ::)
MightyDuc Racing
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:

james-redsv

Man, when did they stop inforcing the rules??? The tech guys made me trim a 1 on my numbers so it wouldnt get confused with a 7 last year which I thought was a bit much. Anyway when your bike pukes oil all over your tire and the track you are a danger. I have been behind experts on Harleys and its not  pretty dodging oil. I know it happens sometimes by accdent but this could have been avoided if the rules were followed. I hope you will be able to turn 1.22-1.24 at roebling or you will be bringing up the rear in super twins. The SVs in LWGP will be doing 1.23-1.25. I know you havent been there so get there early and pratice. Those of us that live close are fast there. Good luck with your duck, it shouldnt be smoking. Check valve seals first, then rings. Thats really the only things it could be. ;D

MightyDuc Racing

Didn't mean to snap at you, but don't pre-judge somebody.  I am really gonna try to come up, but it all comes down to how much software I can sell this month.  Unfortunately, I'd only be able to get there late Friday night probably and get I guess 2 sessions Saturday morning.  I watched Trey Bone's vid of his race, and the track looks fairly easy.  I'm sure there's some tough spots though.  I'd say I have a 50/50 chance of coming up. :)
MightyDuc Racing
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:

StuartV666

QuoteI had established myself on the inside going into turn 3, and the other rider didn't see me.  So rather than take us both out, I grabbed a handful of brakes, clipped his rear with my front, and went straight through the grass at a section that goes left, right, then left again, thus sending me nearly into him again as he came around.  It was a racing incident.  Had I been "riding over my head" or "out of control", I would've taken us both out.

This is pretty much the same story you told me on Sunday when you came by my pit. I listened with an open mind. When you walked off, I turned to my girlfriend, who was sitting there listening to the whole thing too, and said (in amazement) "did I just hear him correctly?! Did he really just tell me that he hit somebody from behind and he's pissed about it and now he's going to find the guy to have a "chat" with him??" And my girlfriend said "yep, that's what I got out of it."

Let me be very clear about my personal opinion. If you hit somebody FROM BEHIND (e.g. "clipped his rear with your front"), and there was no extenuating circumstances (e.g. the guy's motor died or he saw a red flag and chopped the throttle or something like that), then it is YOUR FAULT, and either, A, you did it on purpose, or, B, you were riding over your head/out of control.

What else can be said about this?

QuoteDid I mention that I didn't knock anybody else down?

It sounds like the fact that you didn't knock the guy down that you DID hit was your and his good luck, not a credit to your being under control and not riding over your head.

I have been hit from behind on numerous occasions - some times taken out, and some times keeping it up. I've seen other guys get hit from behind. And it never fails to amaze me when the person who hits from behind somehow thinks it wasn't their fault. Did they all sleep through that part of rider's school??

If you hit somebody from behind and all it is to you is "a racing incident" (as opposed to a serious f-up on your part), then I sincerely hope we will not ever be on the track at the same time.

I did contact another rider once, when I came from behind him. Fortunately, all I did was leave a long tire mark down the thigh of his leathers as we went under the bridge, after the Gravity Cavity, at Road Atlanta in about '92. After the race, I went and found him and apologized profusely.

This is not NASCAR and rubbin' is NOT racing.

- Stu

MightyDuc Racing

Stu...you just misunderstood.  I was beside (even with him) him going into 3...when I realized he didn't see me on the inside, I grabbed a handful of brakes (don't normally slow down there) and clipped the left side of his rear tire as I stood it up when he came from the outside to the inside of the track.  I didn't run into the back of the guy...lol.  Either way, it was just racing and I know the guy and we talked about it and decided it was nobody's fault, just racing.  If I was out of control, I would have broadsided him and we both would have crashed.  I sincerely hope you don't really think I'm a menace on the track.  
MightyDuc Racing
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:

MightyDuc Racing

By the way, it was nice meeting you up there.  Kent at GMD is a super nice guy, really helped me out quite a bit Sunday morning.  How'd you do, by the way?
MightyDuc Racing
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:

mmills416

Bryan did just fine out there.  He was alittle excited, but won't you be If you were leading in your second race weekend.  His bike got tons of HP, if he gets the suspension sorted and the thing stays together he'll do great.  You got to give props to the guy for riding what he loves, I couldn't do it. I rode a frankestien DUC 750 last year and I couldn't go faster than a 1:34 at jennings.  I ran 4 1:23.03 back to back on the SV.  His bikes got a lot of potential if it will stay together, look at Jerry Wood.  
See ya at Moroso

Mills 416

MightyDuc Racing

Funny...BCM builds Wood's motors too.  I just gotta learn to tune the darn thing now.  Watch out for Mills next year experts, he can fly on that SV!
MightyDuc Racing
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:

ScubaSteve

Alright since i was the rider he clipped im going to put in my 2 cents. I saw his front wheel at the last second pretty much even to my rear i thought he had enough room to stay on the track on the inside line but next thing i new i felt him hit my rear tire.It didnt bother me any I knew it was his second race and he was excited to be leading  especially since i was behind him and ive been around the track a million times i had just passed him the lap before and he tryed to out HP me down the back stretch which he almost did.lol. he might have been riding over his head a few times but hey We all do. If you dont think you do you are full of it. I know i have!!  Its all a part of racing. Bryan next time you just need to be a lil bit more patient we still had about 5 laps left. I will be at moroso battling it out with mike and bryan again im sure
Steve

CCS FL

mmills416

WHAT UP, you slow *ss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ScubaSteve

I know your not talkin to me mr mills i do remember beating you twice already ;D
Steve

CCS FL

mmills416

True but I wasn't at 100%. I'll tell you what if I ever flinch your on me like stink on sh*t

MightyDuc Racing

I think Mike was taking it easy on us so he didn't get bored running by himself up front.   ;D  Steve...I had room on the inside to stay on the track, I just woulda had to knock you outta the way...lol. ;D  Besides, if I didn't get in front of you there so I could be in the way, you probably woulda left me in the twistys! ;)
MightyDuc Racing
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:

ScubaSteve

Thats right im always waitng on you to make a mistake ;D. Bryan I was hoping that you didntget the run on me so i could leave you in the twisties i needed to get some room from you guys!!! Did a good job at geting rid  of you though!!! :P
Steve

CCS FL

lil_thorny

hey stu,
lay off Mighty, grow some n u t s and know that
contact is inevidable(spl) people touch, that is part of racing...Super Dave told me early on to not get spooked when it happens, just get used to it... learn
to ride in a very,very small place. make space with
your elbows, knees, etc.
 no, this isn't NASCAR, but we are still racing just like them... and rubbing is part of racing!!! :P ;D
lil thorny

lil_thorny

stu,
but i fully agree with your statements from earlier in this thread... from behind is differen't.
Benji.

MightyDuc Racing

Either way, I don't feel I'm a danger to anybody, and I learned the valuable lesson of patience this weekend.  We'll see if I can put it to good use at Moroso.  It's gonna be a battle for the rest of the year!
MightyDuc Racing
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:

TreyBone

Sounds like to me that MightyDuc will learn soon enough :'(

MightyDuc Racing

I still don't understand how you riders that weren't there can think I am crazy or dangerous?  I definitely learned that I don't need to try for the lead on lap 3 of 7, but I only cost myself positions and at least I learn from my mistakes.  In my second race I was content to sit back and follow Mills for a while after he got by, and probably wouldn't have tried to get back around until the last lap had I not had my unfortunate oil incident.  Once again, isn't that why I'm an amateur and not an expert?  Oh well, I guess I'll be forever known as a dangerous asshole because of one race weekend extremely early in my racing days. ::)
MightyDuc Racing
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:

tzracer

You are getting these replys because you have made the kind of mistake a beginner makes while trying too hard. Common, but it also makes others a little nervous. Don't let what others say bother you. We all make mistakes, what is important is that you learn from them. It seems as though you have.

In our liceansing clinic we stress that you should not ride at 100%. Shawn Higbee has helped at several track days and he says the same thing, he does not ride at 100%. The key is to be patient and work on being smooth, not trying to be fast. This is done by riding at about 90% of your ability.

When passing on the inside, it can be difficult to know if the rider has seen you. Most riders will leave room (just enough) for you if they see you. On inside passes I like to get my front at least even with the other riders front wheel.
Brian McLaughlin
http://www.redflagfund.org
Donate at http://www.donate.redflagfund.org

2 strokes smoke, 4 strokes choke

StuartV666

QuoteStu...you just misunderstood.  I was beside (even with him) him going into 3...when I realized he didn't see me on the inside, I grabbed a handful of brakes (don't normally slow down there) and clipped the left side of his rear tire as I stood it up when he came from the outside to the inside of the track.  I didn't run into the back of the guy...lol.

Dude, I apologize if I'm sounding too high up on my horse. I still guess I don't understand what you're saying. If you were dead even with somebody and on the inside going into a turn, I don't see how they could *not* see you. And whether they did or not, you would have the line - and should hold it. It still sounds like you're saying you were beside him, but not even - i.e. behind him - maybe only by a wheel. If so, and you hit his rear with your front, then it still SOUNDS to me like it was totally your fault. I'm not trying to bash you on this. Yes, contact does happen some times. But if it was your fault and you don't acknowledge it, then I wouldn't expect you to do anything differently next time. But from what you have said, it sounds like you would handle the situation differently in the future. Cool. 'nuff said on that.

It was good to meet you, too. I think having a face and a handshake to go with a screen name goes a long way towards getting along. :-)

And yeah, Kent at GMD is awesome! His optimization to my R6 was the cheapest lap time improvements I've ever purchased. And he and Tracy are super nice, too!

As far as how I did goes - merely okay. Even with Kent's help, I never could get the bike back to handling like it was last year there. My best times for the weekend were still over a second slower than a year ago. Maybe I'll have to switch from Pirellis back to Dunlops. :-(

- Stu

StuartV666

Quotehey stu,
lay off Mighty, grow some n u t s and know that
contact is inevidable(spl) people touch, that is part of racing...Super Dave told me early on to not get spooked when it happens, just get used to it... learn
to ride in a very,very small place. make space with
your elbows, knees, etc.
 no, this isn't NASCAR, but we are still racing just like them... and rubbing is part of racing!!! :P ;D
lil thorny

If anybody knows anybody who is still wondering why the Amateur 600 class is sometimes referred to as the Meatgrinder class, please send them a link to this post.

Thorny, I will reserve judgement on whether you have nuts or not (or just *are* nuts) 'til I meet you in person and see you ride.  I guess I won't hold my breath for you to extend me the same courtesy.

And yes, contact does happen, but that doesn't mean anybody should ride with the attitude that it's okay to bump other people.

- Stu

MightyDuc Racing

Stu...what kinda times were you running up there?  I love my Dunlops, by the way.  But I've never ridden on anything else, so what do I know...lol?  I think I shoulda waited a little longer to try the pass for sure, but I was definitely even with him and probably shoulda held the line, but I didn't want to knock us both down.  He didn't see me because we had just split a lapper.  Man there were some slow experts out there that we had to deal with.  I heard we were turning the same times as the front experts in our class, and my watch later in the day said the same.  That's pretty cool, but man what a tough year to be an Amateur. :)
MightyDuc Racing
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:

TreyBone

YEAH,  what Stu said >:(

MightyDuc Racing

Which part?  He said a lot...lol. ;D  Trey, it's looking less and less like I'll be able to come up and play with ya'll at Roebling. :(  Money sucks, doesn't it? ;D
MightyDuc Racing
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:

TreyBone

I'm just like bustin' everyones ballz everyonce in a while ;D

MightyDuc Racing

Yeah, but does your finger stink?  I'd show you my middle one sometimes, but I'm afraid of where you'd try to put it. :o ;D
MightyDuc Racing
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:

tigerblade

QuoteI'm just like bustin' everyones ballz everyonce in a while ;D

We hadn't noticed.   8)
Younger Oil Racing