Training

Started by Chefjb748, June 19, 2013, 03:46:28 PM

Chefjb748

This is my second season with CCS FL, and while I'm not fast by any means, whenever I get off my bike, I feel like I'm completely spent and have had my ass kicked!  I've started running and cycling to try and build my endurance levels up, especially in this FL heat, but wanted to know what some other racers are doing to train for events.  Thank you all in advance for your help!!

MELK-MAN

your doing it..! running, cycling. repeat. Like you, years back i found i was pretty tired even after a 6 lap sprint race !  the key i think (and from most of what i read and have been told) is doing it for at least 20min (min) at 80% of your target heart rate. (t.h.r. goes down as you get older). 30 min + would be better, and at least a couple times a week.

Personally ? i hate running, jogging and cycling. i don't do it. It's simply not my cup o' tea. Some LOVE it. That said, I'm not gonna ever win a marathon, but i ride dirt bikes in the woods at least 2x a week for a couple hours.. Not 20 min, 2 hours. :) I love dirt bikes. Mx is dangerous, but so are weaving through trees.. but i find it "less dangerous" than mx tracks.
Riding dirt bikes for training is not cheap though. Need a bike, need a place to ride, and gotta maintain the bikes (as if maintaining a roadrace bike wasn't enough.. LOL!)
it has worked for me though. I got a great opportunity to ride for some endurance roadrace teams in the past. Were it not for riding in the woods as i do, i would have surely felt like total crap, and not been able to stay out there.
If you have a decent gym nearby, stairmasters or eliptical machines seem way less boring than running.
2012 FL region & 2014 South East overall champion
Pro Flow Tech Performance Fuel Injector Service
MICHELIN, EBC, Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice

tug296

Leon Backus Memorial weekend 2004 at old Moroso, second hottest day roadracing for me, other than Gainseville 1981. I was toasted after waiting on the grid for a crash cleanup, then back to back F-40 and S.T.
When the races were finished I was halucinating, pale and totally spent, I'd been working out as much as possible for months and in good fair shape. mother nature in Florida is beastly, track temp was 134.
Gatorade!
Thanks Gerald!
Henry Madsen CCS Expert #396 
2004 Am. Super Twins Champion
Florida Region,  
Moto ST #96, Corvette #6, Patriot Guard Rider

MELK-MAN

yup. now that we are in the swing of summer, HYDRATION is more important than ever. Once your thirsty, it's too late. Pound water starting at minimum a day ahead. And drink a bottle of water an hour all day at the races if possible.

Kadius

I do Crossfit. I train for a better quality of life, not just for racing, but it has definitely helped with my endurance on the bike and my recovery afterwards. It's expensive and not for everyone, but it has worked for me.

I hear cycling is pretty close to the best training for racing though as it works a lot of the same muscles as well as builds your endurance. Perhaps if you find a group to cycle with, it won't be as boring.
AM #116

leeroy996

Quote from: Chefjb748 on June 19, 2013, 03:46:28 PM
This is my second season with CCS FL, and while I'm not fast by any means, whenever I get off my bike, I feel like I'm completely spent and have had my ass kicked!  I've started running and cycling to try and build my endurance levels up, especially in this FL heat, but wanted to know what some other racers are doing to train for events.  Thank you all in advance for your help!!

I cycle a lot.  The races have no impact on me physically, even 3 days worth.  I don't mind sitting on the in the heat either.  Get a bike, if you don't like the road try a mountain bike.  If you race in CCS you like competition; enter bike races to give structure and a goal for your workouts.

Andrei

cycling to build your legs and core strength ... a lot ... and then some more (wishful thinking here)
787ex

MELK-MAN

Lee, you are a machine. I don't know how you guys cycle for hours. unreal.

roadracer162

Quote from: MELK-MAN on June 20, 2013, 05:54:26 PM
Lee, you are a machine. I don't know how you guys cycle for hours. unreal.

Greg, He coasts a lot...
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22
Mark Tenn Motorsports, Michelin tire guy in Florida.

MELK-MAN

Quote from: majicMARKer on June 20, 2013, 06:03:36 PM
Greg, He coasts a lot...

i would say "he rides downhill" but we don't have hills in FL .. :)

roadracer162

Quote from: MELK-MAN on June 20, 2013, 07:43:36 PM
i would say "he rides downhill" but we don't have hills in FL .. :)

That's why he lives in Nassau.
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22
Mark Tenn Motorsports, Michelin tire guy in Florida.

MELK-MAN

Quote from: Kadius on June 20, 2013, 11:05:28 AM
I do Crossfit. I train for a better quality of life, not just for racing, but it has definitely helped with my endurance on the bike and my recovery afterwards. It's expensive and not for everyone, but it has worked for me.

I hear cycling is pretty close to the best training for racing though as it works a lot of the same muscles as well as builds your endurance. Perhaps if you find a group to cycle with, it won't be as boring.

i wish i had the will to do crossfit.. i get to the gym about 1 time a week now if lucky to do some strength stuff, just weight machines, no serious free weights.