News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

2nd gen SV motor in 1st gen chassis SS legal???

Started by Grasshopper, June 19, 2013, 10:09:28 AM

Grasshopper

Is it Supersport legal to convert a 2nd gen SV650 motor from injection to carburetors and use it in a 1st gen chassis? The 2nd gen motor has 1st gen ECU and 1st gen pickup which makes it a 1st gen motor. The carbs are stock 1st gen, the airbox is stock and not modified 1st gen. Please advise ASAP. I don't want to get DQ'd at Road America in a couple weeks over some bullshit.
Nicholas

Grasshopper

In case anyone is wondering. Not legal. Looks like I'm not racing SS anymore this season.
Nicholas

roadracer162

Nicholas,

Why would that stop you from racing CCS? There are many other class that can be run with your bike. That motor with flatslide carbs is a formidable motor.
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22
Mark Tenn Motorsports, Michelin tire guy in Florida.

Woofentino Pugrossi

Mark I think he means he isnt racing supersport.
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

Grasshopper

Yup... Not legal for SS with a motor that is legal for SS in a 2nd gen chassis. If you take that 2nd gen motor and convert it to first gen electronics and carbs and put it in a first gen chassis it is no longer SS legal. One class shaved from my race day. Oh well. I was running too many races anyway. I will still run the bike ULSB.
Nicholas

LWT Racer

There is no real difference in power between the motors.  Difference is in carb vs. f.i.   It should be legal.
Sam Wiest #60
TWF Racing | LWT Racer
Lighweight Racing - The struggle is real.

Grasshopper

From Eric...

I believe the 2nd generation motor is a different part number. If it is the same part number from year to year then a different year model part may be used as a replacement part in a part restricted class.
6.1.2 All motorcycles must meet the following requirements in addition to the
applicable requirements in Section 5.
A. Original equipment wheels, brake calipers, forks, frame, engine, fuel
induction system, and swing arm must be used.
IE if wheels from a 2003 and a 1999 are the same part number (color codes do not reflect a different part) then they are legal.

Mixing and matching different year models or makes to create the best bike by use of OEM parts is not allowed in Supersport classes. A part is SS legal if it was part of the ordinal make model year.

Nick,

Okay let’s try this a different way, Are Marchesini wheels a performance advantage? Are Brembo brakes a performance advantage? How about Ohlins forks? Those are all items that have appeared on production street machines; picking and choosing from a parts bin to create a bike makes it a Superbike. The determination of legal on a bike for various classes is by use of the parts’ numbers installed from the factory for that bike.
Mixing and matching a frame and an engine is same scenario, IE the current frame on is not necessarily better than previous model, likewise the engine is not necessarily better. The OEM will tweak frames for better street ride or better race engines power curve for better for 2 up riding, more top end etc which may not be better for the race track, rider style/comfort etc. So combining the better of each, (who determines better?) is not allowed.
Nicholas

roadracer162

Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22
Mark Tenn Motorsports, Michelin tire guy in Florida.

twilkinson3

I actually asked that same question years back and got hte same response so at least things remain consistant over time

apriliaman

If your bike comes with a removable subframe you can change it like a SV 650 or FZR 400,FZR 600 it is not removable and your not allowed to cut it and make it lighter.
Winner of at least 50 CCS Lightweight Regional Championships
3 National Championships
Top 10 plate holder since 2006

grasslander

Quote from: Swiest on June 20, 2013, 11:29:16 AM
There is no real difference in power between the motors.  Difference is in carb vs. f.i.   It should be legal.
Doesn't the Gen 2 have different cam profiles than a Gen 1?
CCS #413 CMRA #413
G-Baby Racing Endurance Team
2013 ASRA Team Challenge GTL National Champions
2015 US National Endurance Series LW National Champions

trace33chargers

The intakes are different, the exhaust may be a little different too. I'm with Sam, in a SS setup, the power is pretty much the same. A 2nd gen may have a 2hp edge, but in SS the bikes are typically pretty far from stock so I wouldn't say it means anything. Wasn't Ed Key's SS bike around 83hp?