News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Gate Fees

Started by HotRedTurbo, June 02, 2013, 03:14:59 AM

HotRedTurbo

Hi,
First time racer.  I would like to suggest changing your spectator fee policy.  I have friends and family that want to attend the races but find $20 (just to watch me race) too much money.  I understand the economy hit our sport badly but you are definitely leaving money on the table with spectators such as family members from racers.  Can I suggest some time of family discount or group discount? 

apriliaman

Even the racers got to pay to get in.How are you gonna pay for the electric for your tire warmers.Tracks like barber charge $25 a day.Some tracks are $20-25 for the weekend.
Winner of at least 50 CCS Lightweight Regional Championships
3 National Championships
Top 10 plate holder since 2006

Woofentino Pugrossi

Also depending on the track, some tracks take part of the gate fee, some take it all.

Hell its still cheaper to come out to a ccs race for a weekend with 15-17 races than one day at AMA only to see 3-4 races.
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

HotRedTurbo

Quote from: apriliaman on June 02, 2013, 08:56:55 AM
Even the racers got to pay to get in.How are you gonna pay for the electric for your tire warmers.Tracks like barber charge $25 a day.Some tracks are $20-25 for the weekend.

Yes, but my suggestion did not have anything to do with racers gate fee. 

HotRedTurbo

Quote from: Woofentino Pugrossi on June 02, 2013, 03:19:27 PM
Also depending on the track, some tracks take part of the gate fee, some take it all.

Hell its still cheaper to come out to a ccs race for a weekend with 15-17 races than one day at AMA only to see 3-4 races.

OK, I can see how it can be difficult if the track wants to charge.  I thought CCS pays for the track rental and pretty much runs the show. 

ymracing

When I used to rent Putnam Park it was up to me whether or not to charge a gate fee, if I did, I had to split it with the track.  I chose to charge nothing for riders/pit crew/family and $5 for spectators.  Of course that was 10 years ago.
Garry W. Bird
YMRacing, Champaign, IL USA
AHRMA BOT F2, CCS  AM Lightweight F40; Lightweight Grand Prix #72
Lightweight....ya sure...

Cowboy 6

We have mentioned a few times that "spectators" should be encouraged by a low gate fee ($5 maybe?). Not only will they bring friends for a cheap day at the track but it will translate into more sales at the concession stand for the track as well. Encouraging spectators can only benefit everyone. When a pack of riders shows up to watch on a regular basis, you can be one or two will decide "I can do that" and now you have more racers as well.
C6

www.NeedGod.com  ....   www.TPOParts.com  ....   www.Christiansportbike.com.com ....  www.woodcraft-cfm.com ....  www.ebcbrakes.com ....www.baxleycompanies.com

clarustnb

yes - if I had a vote I would lower it as well.  My father's side of the family lives in Millville - however with the gate fees, it would be hundreds to have the extended family come out and watch.  I purposefully do not invite them due to the cost.

If it's a CCS money making effort, heck - I would rather see the entry fees go up by a dollar or two across the whole paddock and have a more open gate [cheaper / free passes given to racers for each entry they have / buy one get one]
Benjamin Loyle
SV650 # 909
http://loyle.lwtracer.com/

LoneStar

Amazing how people want something for nothing.
Do you know how much it costs CCS to put on a race weekend?  I'm pretty sure they aren't getting rich over there.
If you enjoy the races, $20 each is a small price to pay for a great time considering I feel like I spend $20 when I open the front door to my house these days.
Us racers pay $35 at the gate in addition to several hundred dollars in race fees, $25 for power, $100 in camping fees for the weekend so you can pay $20 to come watch us race.  That's just the entry fees but we won't talk about what it all really costs us.
Come on!  Chip in something.
CCS AM #134 - Ducati 848 - www.facebook.com/FullerMoto
2012 CCS Atlantic SuperTwins AM Champion
2012 CCS Mid-Atlantic SuperTwins AM Champion
2012 CCS Summit Point SuperTwins AM Track Champion

vnvbandit

Don't forget the pit crew gate fees too. I for one, would rather everyone pay for their own services. Please leave entry fees alone.
THANKS!
~Brian
CCS FL 68
ASRA 68
Thanks
Nancy&Patrick

apriliaman

What they need to do is hand out flyers at bike shops and have some commercials on the radio or tv and more people will spectate.
Winner of at least 50 CCS Lightweight Regional Championships
3 National Championships
Top 10 plate holder since 2006

roadracer162

How much does it cost? I'm thinking $15-$20k to rent the track for two days. EMS could be $3k-$5k. Insurance, liability and medical for the racers no idea. Corner workers say 25 individuals at $30 each day maybe $1500. Registration, $ unknown. Don't forget the tech guys. They don't do it for free.

This club level racing stuff isn't a spectator sport. Advertising is a risk versus benefit idea. How many flyers and at what cost. The Florida Region has a pretty nice flyer that includes advertising for the weekend sponsors. These flyers are distributed at local establishments and to the licensed racers for that region. Still very little income from the spectators, and ther again like mentioned can be distributed by the facility not the promoter.
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22
Mark Tenn Motorsports, Michelin tire guy in Florida.

roadracer162

It is difficult when the whole family comes to spectate and the gate cost cuts into the racing budget. The Florida region does provide VIP passes for each regional championship won. These are used the following year so that does save some. For the past two years I have won one championship and does provide some monetary relief. Of course it does keep me coming back.
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22

HotRedTurbo

Quote from: ymracing on June 03, 2013, 12:44:24 PM
When I used to rent Putnam Park it was up to me whether or not to charge a gate fee, if I did, I had to split it with the track.  I chose to charge nothing for riders/pit crew/family and $5 for spectators.  Of course that was 10 years ago.
I like that idea, but yes...a lot has changed in 10 years.

Quote from: Cowboy 6 on June 03, 2013, 03:52:42 PM
We have mentioned a few times that "spectators" should be encouraged by a low gate fee ($5 maybe?). Not only will they bring friends for a cheap day at the track but it will translate into more sales at the concession stand for the track as well. Encouraging spectators can only benefit everyone. When a pack of riders shows up to watch on a regular basis, you can be one or two will decide "I can do that" and now you have more racers as well.
I agree!  You know how much money my family spent on food alone at PBIR...they spontaneously decided to show up to one of my races and all eight of them bought food at the concession stand. 

Quote from: LoneStar on June 04, 2013, 11:37:46 AM
Do you know how much it costs CCS to put on a race weekend?  I'm pretty sure they aren't getting rich over there.
If you enjoy the races, $20 each is a small price to pay for a great time considering I feel like I spend $20 when I open the front door to my house these days.
Us racers pay $35 at the gate in addition to several hundred dollars in race fees, $25 for power, $100 in camping fees for the weekend so you can pay $20 to come watch us race.  That's just the entry fees but we won't talk about what it all really costs us.

Who wants something for nothing?  Me, my family, other spectators?  Listen, my suggestion isn't to change our entry fee, lower the racer gate fee....or in my opinion, hurt CCS in any way.  I truly believe that my suggestion, which I repeat, was to come up with a different spectator policy for SPECTATOR gate fees that will focus on bringing in interest for our sport and help support the racing org and racers.

Now, one big hurdle in doing that was what Woofentino pointed out.  If the track themselves are charging the gate fee, or if they are taking a large portion...well, there's really little that CCS can do.  But if that's not the case, then I just simply want to make that suggestion.  So far, I'm enjoying myself and EVERY SINGLE CCS staff member has been great!  Henry has been very welcoming, the guys at tech are so helpful when I didn't know what I was doing, the girls at registration were so helpful when I had a question on my forms...I'm very satisfied in choosing CCS as my racing org.  :thumb: [size=78%] [/size]

Cowboy 6

Quote from: LoneStar on June 04, 2013, 11:37:46 AM

I am really confused at your post. No one is asking for "something for nothing"

Yes, I have a good idea what it costs to rent a track.

As it was mentioned before, our club racing is not a spectator event so why would anyone pay $20 or $35 to watch us no-talent hacks?

Chip in something? See above. Why should anyone feel obligated to "chip in" on your fun?

My suggestion agreed with by others is to lower the gate fee for spectators with the idea of encouraging more to come. It can become a spectator sport if it is not cost prohibitive. I am happy for you if you can crap $20 to open your front door and it is an insignificant amount to you. However, not everyone enjoys your income level. For some, $20 is a lot of money.

The bottom line is this: If you lowering the gate fee for spectators (such as a group of cyclists riding to the track to watch some racing for an hour or two and go home) will not cost the track or CCS any money. The high gate fee is keeping people out. They can only benefit from the lower fees welcoming more people in. Take the $5 or take $0. The answer is simple. At this point, CCS isn't even denting the track operational costs with their take on the spectator gate so don't worry.
C6

www.NeedGod.com  ....   www.TPOParts.com  ....   www.Christiansportbike.com.com ....  www.woodcraft-cfm.com ....  www.ebcbrakes.com ....www.baxleycompanies.com

Gixxerblade

I thought tracks charged spectators for the insurance cost and overhead. I never thought $20 was ever steep.

Jwhite316

$20 really isn't that steep for a whole day in my opinion.  I went to see drag racing at the route 66 dragway the other night and it was $20 to get in. 
Well how could there be two number 1's? It'd be number 11 then?

banzai1

I guess they can go sit in the park. That's free.....and boring.

roadracer162

Another note to mention. Just because you lower the gate fee doesn't equate to the spectators purchasing more at the concession nor does it actually bring more people in. This would all be speculative of course. So the cheaper ticket has someone attend. What would you say, cut it to had the current gate price? So now you ned twice the number of spectators. Will they actually pay for concessions stuff or will they bring their own food and drinks anyway.

They are making a little on the spectators yes. another alternative is to make it free attendance and charge more for racing. Would you be willing to do that? Not bad if you are only running one or even two races. But for the folks racing nine races that could really hurt.

It's fortunate for us that florida has a $55 flat rate fee per race. The negative is it is a 9 lap GT race and a 6 lap sprint race. A 25 minute GT race is nice equating to 15 laps for me on the Ducati 800. But thats only nice for the guys participating in the GT races.
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22