News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Ambulance On Track

Started by Jwhite316, May 20, 2013, 02:33:10 PM

SV88

I wasn't crazy about coming in @ 140-150 mph down the front straigtht heading right for the ambulance for 2 laps (F40MW).  If it was positionned to protect a downed rider, it make perfect sense.  However if a downed rider is in an impact zone, shouldn't there be a red flag?  Not crazy about dodging ambulances on track.  That race was a crash fest with riders down in T1,3,6 and a blown motor in 7.
Fastsv650/SVR6/Steve sv23
09R6rdrace,13KTM250xc enduro,03SV1000N, 99-02 sv650 project
ret. CCS MW/FL/SE 88  Moto A SSP 881

Suzy

That was some race.  I was at 5.  I've been cornerworking since 2005, the radio's at Blackhawk have been there before I began. Those radios are all coming apart.  I had a few issues with the first radio because the headset was not working. They came out and gave me a new one. Then, the next headset would not stay plugged into the radio. I noticed the red light blinking on the radio but was not hearing anything, so when I adjusted the jack back into the radio, I heard red flag. That's when it went up. I called to control and asked if it was up, right after my call he called red flag all corners. He was asking corner 1 if he needed the red flag to stop the race only, I jumped the gun on it. All sincere apologies for what happened. When I went in for lunch, I had to get a rubber band to hold the headset to the radio. It was my first time back in 3 years and had hoped after the improvements they made to the track, that the radio's would have been one of them.
2005 Rookie Corner Worker of the Year!

roadracer162

Suzy, sounds to me like you did the right thing in throwing the red flag. My thought is if there is a need for the EMS the ambulance should be mobilized. If that is the case and the ambulance is going on track then the race should be stopped due to the probability of an impact zone.

I would suppose if the rider fell and cant get to a safe place then he is still in the impact zone. Another rider could fall in the same way and Bang! you have a secondary impact. It is understandable to continue the race if the rider can get away from the impact zone and make his/her way to a designated "safe area".

I personally don't like the distraction of Emergency lighting or an ambulance even close to the track.
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22
Mark Tenn Motorsports, Michelin tire guy in Florida.

design-engine

maybe they should stop the race if the ambulance needs to park it's big ass in a crash zone ;)