News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Tough Weekend at Jennings

Started by MightyDuc Racing, May 05, 2003, 06:37:45 AM

MightyDuc Racing

Well, I now know what it feels like to lead! :D  I also know what crashing feels like. :o  I did quite a bit of agricultural work this weekend for the staff at Jennings GP. ;D  First, had a big high side coming out of turn 11, held onto the handlebars, landed on the tail section, smacked both feet on the ground (spraining my left ankle pretty good) and hit my left shin real hard on I think the peg (got a 6 inch lump on it...lol), but managed to somehow stay on two wheels.  Actually rode a few more laps and put in my first 1:25 the last lap.  Then in my first race, got together with Scuba Steve into turn 3 (the esses) and had to go straight across that whole section...so grass, track, grass, track (almost hit Steve again as he came by...whew, just missed him), and then through the grass and into the trees.  Got about three rows deep into them before I finally hit one with the right front of the bike.  Thought I was in big trouble, but when I looked, all levers, etc were there so I pushed it back out of them and got back into the race.  After making sure the tires were clean and everything worked, I managed to get back by 6 riders and finished 12th.  Second race (after a bunch of scrambling and fixing bodywork and rigging my gas tank on) got a great holeshot and had a 5 or 6 bike length lead for about 2-1/2 laps.  Then I started having some big rear wheel slides in the middle of the corners, even before I picked up the throttle.  I just figured my tires were going away, so I kept pushing.  Finally, on lap three, I had a huge slide in turn 7 that allowed Michael Mills to go past and I followed him, trying to make it back up.  Had a ridiculous slide all the way through the kink (turn 12)...slid all the way to the braking markers for turn 13 while wide open  :o, put it through 13-14 okay and got a great run up the front straight, and just as I caught Mills going into one, I turned it in and right at the apex the reat tire let go again, this time even worse.  I guess the motor let out a big puff of smoke as I went in and dumped oil on the rear tire.  I saved it and went straight into the grass, up the big embankment, and over the hill, flipping off the bike and coming to a stop on a ledge about 5-6 feet down the other side of the hill.  I hear that everybody was quiet, even the announcer, until I got my bearings and popped back up over the hill.  Bike isn't too bad, but not sure what happened internally to it.  Probably start looking at it Wednesday night.  But hey...I got to lead some races and had some great battles with Scuba Steve, Michael Mills, and another rider named Matt?!!!  That was a BLAST!  Oh yeah, what sucks the worst, is that the guy that won what would've been my last race...AM Supertwins, won by like 30 seconds turning 1:29 laps.  I was in the 1:24's all day Sunday. :(  Oh well...had fun anyways, and I'm just a little beat up, battered, and bruised.
MightyDuc Racing
CCS AM #944 - Florida Region
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:
Tomahawk Tires, Dunlop, AGV, Superbikes & Ski, SW Medical Supply, BCM

tigerblade

You're having some crappy luck man, but it sure makes for some good stories.   ;)
Younger Oil Racing

The man with the $200K spine...

Dawn

Dare I ask....

How is the wife handling this?

Dawn  :)

MightyDuc Racing

;D  I guess it's better than having no luck at all ???

:P
MightyDuc Racing
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:

MightyDuc Racing

QuoteDare I ask....

How is the wife handling this?

Dawn  :)

Taking it just fine.  Surprised me too.  I crashed basically right in front of her.  She took some shots of me sitting up on top of the hill after i crashed and coming in on the crash truck...lol.  She was fine once she saw me come back over the hill, as was everybody else watching (basically everybody there saw it...lol).  She was a little more worried when I didn't come around after hitting the trees cuz she didn't know what had happened...lol.  I'm a lucky guy!  She's pretty great. ;)  If somebody wants to post the pic of me sitting on the hill next to my big rut in the side of the hill, I'll email it to ya.  Can't put it on my site from work.
MightyDuc Racing
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:

Chef

GOOD thing you're ok! and in good spirits,...
also good that you're in a position to come back and RE-assert yourself....

sounds like you're on pace to put a real "hurtin" on em.....

glad youre ok....
40. Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate, but powerful beyond measure. We were all meant to shine, as children do. When our light shines, we liberate others.

tigerblade

Quote If somebody wants to post the pic of me sitting on the hill next to my big rut in the side of the hill, I'll email it to ya.  Can't put it on my site from work.

I'll post it if you want.

kyounger@shelterinsurance.com
Younger Oil Racing

MightyDuc Racing

Thanks Chef.  I tried hanging off like you, but I bruised my inner thighs trying to hold on...lol.  I'm all excited cuz I wore my left knee puck all the way down to nothing...lol.  Right one's coming too.  Just finally getting off the bike on the right side too.
MightyDuc Racing
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:

MELK-MAN

MD, good seeing ya out there. Ill be questioning your sanity if you spend big bucks to rebuild the motor again though. somethings not right with that thing or its just not up to race abuse. I learned a tough lesson when starting on dirt bikes when i was about 14. had a paper route and got my 1st 1982yz 125 with some help from grandpa. the thing locked up low ends every 10 hours or so. some older guys (19-22 year olds at that time...) told me to get rid of the bike, bad model. i wouldnt lissen. 3 more low ends later i finally sold it. had an RM 125 and kx 125 that i raced ALL YEAR with 1 piston change.. thats it... no problems at all. same with the F4 i race now. 22,000 miles.. nearly no leak when tested.. 101 hp on race gas.
   its a cool bike and cool to race but unless you have some unlimited funds, or the guy whos building the motor will warrany the work.. your in for some tough times ahead.
   Very impressive riding. i was very skeptical when you had expectations of 1:25 lap times your 2nd time at that track. it took me 6 or seven track days to get those times.
Good luck,..see ya out there.. sometime..
2012 FL region & 2014 South East overall champion
Pro Flow Tech Performance Fuel Injector Service
MICHELIN, EBC, Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice

tigerblade

Younger Oil Racing

MightyDuc Racing

I gotta see what's wrong with it before I make any rash decisions...lol.  It hopefully is something minor since it was still making power when it went bad.  I'm hoping for the best.  If it's destroyed again, I may just have to buy a 600 and come after ya later this year! ;D
MightyDuc Racing
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:

MightyDuc Racing

Thanks Kris.  By the way, I had a GREAT view of the race from there! ;D
MightyDuc Racing
Ducati 944 Superbike