slick's on the sv

Started by sauce, April 04, 2013, 08:54:59 AM

sauce

Haven't raced with ccs in a long time,can you run slicks on the sv in all the other classe's(thunder bike,lwt gp,etc) except the lwt ss class?
and what's the average lap time?(blackhawk)

thanks for any info
Black ops racing,Bridgestone,Woodcraft,Regina,Cantu inc,sara young.

kvanengen

I ran LWSB, LWGP, ThunderBike, Super Twins and GTL on an sv with slicks.

On Pirelli tires I found that the slicks were a bit stiffer, had a bit more grip, and lasted a bit longer than the DOT Pirelli tire. Most of all I thought they held together better than the DOT tires. That's just what I found though. Others may have had another experience with the slicks than I did. If I had the options between a DOT SC1 vs the slick SC1, I would pick the slick. Again, that's just me though.

As for an average lap time?? good question. On an sv at Black Hawk you'll see times anywhere from low 13's (with very few high 12's) to mid 20's. I can think of 5 guys who are in the 15'/16's or lower at Black Hawk. I hope that helps.

sauce

yes it does,thanks for the reply.

bruce71198

I don't know what level you have raced at previously, but the SV is a pretty popular bike and is raced as " stock" to " heavily modified super bike" .
I have been able to catch ameteurs on stockish SV's with my Ninja 250' so that puts some of them in the 1:26 area. There are also a few " special" individuals, [size=78%]that have laid down some 1:12 lap times , amongst the experts. So if your looking for a true average I'm going to say 1:18 would be a good 1st season goal.[/size]

sauce

Just looking to be hopefuly mid pack,thanks again for all the input.

Cowboy 6

Quote from: bruce71198 on April 05, 2013, 07:51:45 AM
I have been able to catch ameteurs on stockish SV's with my Ninja 250[/size]

Wow..... Did you tap them on the shoulder to wake them up when you went by??? Were they texting?  LOL!
C6

www.NeedGod.com  ....   www.TPOParts.com  ....   www.Christiansportbike.com.com ....  www.woodcraft-cfm.com ....  www.ebcbrakes.com ....www.baxleycompanies.com

bruce71198

Quote from: Cowboy 6 on April 05, 2013, 09:05:47 PM
Wow..... Did you tap them on the shoulder to wake them up when you went by??? Were they texting?  LOL!

Ya, it doesnt seem logical but I was just trying to put the vast difference in lap times for the SV into perspective.
              To the OP, just come out and have fun, thats what its all about !!

Jwhite316

Quote from: sauce on April 05, 2013, 09:47:41 AM
Just looking to be hopefuly mid pack,thanks again for all the input.

I'll be out there with ya, last year I won a couple lightweight amateur races doing 1:21's.   That was in the middle of the year, then the lead 4-5 guys got below 1:20's towards the end of the year and I wasn't able to hang with them...but most of those guys are experts now. 
Well how could there be two number 1's? It'd be number 11 then?

sauce

bruce71198

Back to the first part of the question. Is there a 160 slick in production ?

roadracer162

Yes. Bridgestone slick in 17' but it is the 165 and the actual size was smaller than the Michelin 160
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22
Mark Tenn Motorsports, Michelin tire guy in Florida.

twilkinson3

for the classes that allow slicks you can also run a 5.5" rim.....and there are many 180 section slicks (or those that are close enough to it hehe)