Best Tire Option CCS MW

Started by Jwhite316, March 01, 2013, 01:50:51 PM

MELK-MAN

Quote from: Motostu on June 11, 2013, 07:51:10 PM
Thanks Mark and Melka. Def all good advice. I'm going to try a set of power cups. I think ill go with the 190/55 B. I plan on doing light practice Saturday and racing 4 classes on Sunday. Gtu, mwss, hwss, and hwsb. Should I expect a brand new set of B rated tires to last for that? Will the A's last for that?

so much of what you are wondering depends on your pace/laptimes, and how your suspension setup looks after the tire (but mostly about your pace/lap times). If you plan to only do a few sessions on Saturday (and not run every lap of ever sesson, it's possible ? You can run these tires till the rain sipes are gone, but the lap time does go off like any race rubber after the "new" is gone from  a new race tire. I run a tire for 2-3 races, but i wanna run up front with the faster experts every race. If i didn't mind going a second a lap slower in the 3rd-4th race as much, i would just run the one rear a bunch of races. Most AM racers (and even many experts) should have zero problem going near the best lap times they can do, for 4 full races on 1 rear/1 front.
When i was an AM racer, and did quite well as an AM, i ran one set of new tires Sunday morning for our 1 morning practice session and all my races. I also did 4 races, same ones you are doin. Then i used those tires for my practice sessions on the saturday of the next race weekend, then new for Sunday again..

As mark pointed out, the C (although i too have yet to run it) could be a better choice for that many laps (practice on saturday AND racing on sunday), but the B would be better than the A i would think. If you planned on a take-off for practice, then a new tire for the races .. then use THAT tire for your next saturday practice day, that would be a better plan in my opinion.

but my opinion is to run a new set on Saturday to get the feel for these tires and not worry about how many laps you run, then put another new rear tire on for Sunday so you can go a bit faster.. and then run those tires in practice for your NEXT race weekend. This first time on them you just don't have that "last race takeoff" to run for the saturday practice.

i MAY have another take off A 190/55 rear but i know it's on a rim, so likely would not be available for you till mid morning on saturday.

also, all things equal, i would raise our forks through the clamps 5mm as the front michelin is taller than the dunlop. The rear dunlops are very very close to the same size as the michelin 190/55.
I don't know where your getting your tires, but our new michelin FL region vendor will be there at Homestead with everything you need.
2012 FL region & 2014 South East overall champion
Pro Flow Tech Performance Fuel Injector Service
MICHELIN, EBC, Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice

Motostu

That would be awesome if I could get a takeoff that I know where it came from to try. I just got off the phone with Frank Kinsey. I bought a set of power cup dots 120/vb and 190/55 b. Thanks for all the advice guys!
Stuart Harper - CCS FL 36 EX

www.FlyRacing.com - www.EBCbrakes.com - www.LucasOil.com
www.MadSkillzCustoms.com - www.CallahanGraphicsAndSigns.com

roadracer162

Stuart, consider these facts. Your lap time is similar to my lap time on the 748. After the four races(24 laps) the rear will look like hell even though there is still life in the tire. I have raced the Michelin Cup for six races(36 laps) and not had issues. It begins to fall off slightly as Greg has stated. I have run the A to 100 laps with more life in the front VB just not necessarily race laps. Josh has used the front longer than I have and has had good results. I typically like racing up to 24 laps on a tire and use the remaining 75 laps for practice laps.

I actually track my laps and the lap times I achieve for each tire. I look for the fastest lap and at what point during the tire wear I get that fast lap.

I would suggest putting a fresh rear for Sunday races whether the A or the B. try the B on Saturday and see if you want more traction. The B is what I have settled on. Greg will use more of the tire than I ever do. He is at a much quicker pace on any given bike. I would say the wear on Greg's rear tire is about twice the abuse I would dish out. It's just these tires remain with good traction when there is virtually no rubber left. In contrast the Dunlop will look good for a long time.
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22
Mark Tenn Motorsports, Michelin tire guy in Florida.

MELK-MAN

apriliaman

For me I don't have any money for new tires every race weekend,I can barly make to the track as it is. I race 13 weekends this year and no practice days.I use either Bridgestone or Pirelli.I run 5 weekends worth 2 practice 2 races each weekend on the SV .3 weekends worth on Ducati 1 practice 3races each weekend. At summit Point on my SV at the last race I just set my best lap time ever there by 1.3 sec and I had 4 weekends worth of racing on my front tire.What if i had new tires all the time how would i do?I know if I was racing 600 or 1000 things would be very different.
Winner of at least 50 CCS Lightweight Regional Championships
3 National Championships
Top 10 plate holder since 2006

roadracer162

Mark, the Florida region schedule works a little differently as you know from attending JGP. A typical weekend will see over 150 miles as recorded on the Ducati 800 odometer. I will rotate tires using two sets of wheels for each bike. A typical weekend for me I can achieve 80 total miles. Of course I now have two bikes that I race and practice on.

In contrast the Roebling weekend I will do 45 laps including practice and three races for two days. So in essence your four weekends of racing is approximately two weekends in the Florida region.
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22

MELK-MAN

yup. Naturally a 600 or 1000 is gonna go through tires faster.. Tom Eubanks and Kevin Farrell did the ENTIRE 4 hour endurance race on ONE set of Michelin slicks on Kevin's Ducati. Four hours.. 1 set of tires, at Jennings. :)

i use more rear tires than perhaps i need to .. but well.. I can.. so i do !  As Mark Tenn stated, you can run these tires till the rain sipes are gone. They don't keep getting slower and slower, it seems they drop off a bit from "new" times, then level off till you finally take it off the rim. I have put well over 40 laps on a rear between 3 races and then practice sessions.

roadracer162

Quote from: majicMARKer on June 12, 2013, 10:42:33 PM
Mark, the Florida region schedule works a little differently as you know from attending JGP. A typical weekend will see over 150 miles as recorded on the Ducati 800 odometer. I will rotate tires using two sets of wheels for each bike. A typical weekend for me I can achieve 80 total laps(edit). Of course I now have two bikes that I race and practice on.

In contrast the Roebling weekend I will do 45 laps including practice and three races for two days. So in essence your four weekends of racing is approximately two weekends in the Florida region.
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22