News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Fellow Racer Requests Assistance-Serious Topic

Started by FUBAR606, May 04, 2003, 01:08:22 PM

FUBAR606

Hi All,

I know this may be an unusual place to post this type of assistance request, but because I know racers come from all walks of life with varied careers, support each other whenever possible, and are generally GREAT people, I thought I would give it a shot. To those that do not fall in the above categories, I apologize for wasting your time. Here is the deal:

On April 29 I got caught in a corporate downsizing. My employer of nearly 3 years found itself facing a reduction in workforce due to the declined national economy. My management position, along with about 100+ other associates (layoffs are still taking place), was eliminated, which leaves me unexpectedly seeking employment. This, of course has obviously caused me to  :( suspend ALL racing activities  :( until know I have reliable income for my family, which leads me to my request for assistance.

I understand the value of networking, and I would like to request my fellow racers to assist in generating any possible employment leads based on the following information.

My career path has been in the security industry, which was most recently as a corporate security manager. Ideally I would like to continue my career within the corporate security environment preferably in the Jacksonville, FL area, but I am willing to deviate from that goal and will consider relocation.

Although I will supply my resume via email upon request to anyone willing to look at or forward it, I have provided the following career overview for consideration. I have 15+ years of diverse security experience with the majority being at the management level. This experience includes, but is not limited to:

Investigative
Instructional/training
Large Event Planning
Law Enforcement
Executive Protection
Personnel Management
Crisis Management
Risk Mitigation
Access Control, CCTV, and Environmental Monitoring System Design
P/L and Budget Responsibilities

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly at sptshine@aug.com to a request my resume, ask questions, or to supply employment leads.

Thank you very much for your attention and I appreciate any efforts made on my behalf. I truly hope to be on the track with you all soon.

Best regards,
Steve Brack
sptshine@aug.com
Home: 904.797.9049

Woofentino Pugrossi

Was in the same situation back in Aug 01. But we were not downsized. The company shut down under bankruptcy without warning. Unemployed for 7 months. The local job services Displaced Workers Program sucked a$$ big time. I took a test to find out what kind of retraining I would be good with and the 3 catagories I fit in were "Technical professional, technical skilled and arts skilled". Then they offered me "truck driving school". 1. I dont like or have the ambition to do OTR and 2. I get real short with morons on the roads. I looked through every catagory and they had truck driving in EVERY ONE!!  ::) Well so I thought I might as well get a CDL ABC with HN and look for local drivers. Then the school said I had to pay for the medical exam and teh unemployment office said they did. No one there would do squat to help. Finally Orkin hired me and about 1 month later the unemployment office called and asked if I was gonna take the CDL class or not. Needless to say, I blew up on them to the point they hung up. I still have yet to hear back from the scathing letter I wrote them about how they run the program.

Something will come up. Always does. I'm actually making more now than when I painted, but I was happier in the paint booth.
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

spyderchick

Steve, I;m sorry to hear about your unfortunate situation. Here's something you might consider: Starting your own firm. Going out on your own might sound scary at first, but it's the most freeing thing you could do.

Rather than being held down by corporate rules, you can schedule your own time, structure your own day, and control your own destiny. There are SBA loans available to get you started, and while the race thing might be on hold while you build your clientel, you will ultimately be much happier.

Sounds like you've got a ton of experience, and I'm sure you have more than a few contacts. The funny thing is, while businesses are downsizing, they are also turning to consultants more and more, as they are not a permanent part of the payroll.

Good luck in your search. While entrepreneurship is not for ewveryone, it certainly would be worth some thought.  
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

K3 Chris Onwiler

Got nothing for you but a prayer.  Good luck.
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

Baltobuell

ROB, the best thing you ever did was stay away from the whole trucking industry. Most guys trapped in it are hoping to die young.

StumpysWife

Building upon Alexa's suggestion, if you have it in you to go into business for yourself, try consulting and training.  With your background, you would have alot to consult on.  You could do small business consulting and hold workshops for employees/management, etc.  

I have a BS in Public Relations and hope to start my Masters soon in Training & Development to do this sort of thing if I ever leave my current position at a public library (no, I'm not a librarian).  My background is similar to yours.  

We have an organization here called Northern Initiatives (I believe it's non-profit) that lends money to and assists people in start up of small businesses.  I would check to see if this sort of group exists near you.  They hold excellent, in-expensive workshops for small business start up and stuff, too.    

Good luck to you!    

Heather

MudDawg

Check to see if the America Online customer care facilities in the Jax area are hiring.  Not sure if they are or not.

FUBAR606

This is all great advice! :)

If nothing else, I appreciate the support and empathy being shown...I anticipated nothing less from the racing community I have grown to respect and love.

Keep the ideas coming. Also, if you know someone who knows someone (you get the idea) that you think my resume might benefit because they are employed with a large company (at least 500 employees) that may have an internal security function. Please contact me so I can forward it to you for the consideration. For that matter, let me know if you feel like posting a copy on a bathroom wall somewhere. Ya never know who may walk in after you.  ;D

Have a great day!!