News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Thunderbike Questions

Started by sPatlovich1, January 25, 2013, 02:14:28 AM

roadracer162

Quote from: Xian_13 on January 31, 2013, 06:27:03 AM
I had a FZR-400 with a "franken-motor", with was a combination of a YZF-600 and a FZR-600(with an over-bore).
Total displacement was 685cc, on 91 pump gas it made 110.

What I learned with that bike is, HP numbers are not everything.
The bike had a small, small window of a powerband. Getting out of that window was worst then riding a 250GP bike.

The class "Over-dog" is the 749R.

-X

Sounds like you were running a cheater unless you were able to build it with the FZR 400 cases and head. After that anything goes. I do know of a early model FZR 600 built to 735cc but it isn't together right now. Mine was built through the normal channels with a 630cc.

As far as the 749R being the class over-dog, I can understand that statement but I know of a few air cooled Ducati/ Bimota built to 1128 that put out some serious power and are as fast or faster than the R. Depending on the track the 250GP bike has been very fast and in capable hands move along pretty good.

Bodywork isn't an issue. You could run without bodywork as long as you have a bellypan for oil containment.
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22
Mark Tenn Motorsports, Michelin tire guy in Florida.

Xian_13

Quote from: majicMARKer on January 31, 2013, 08:24:45 AM
Sounds like you were running a cheater unless you were able to build it with the FZR 400 cases and head. After that anything goes. I do know of a early model FZR 600 built to 735cc but it isn't together right now. Mine was built through the normal channels with a 630cc.
Never said I raced the bike, nor did I say what classes the bike was legal for.
I would be possible to build the FZR-400 motor to the same specs, just would have cost more.

Quote from: majicMARKer on January 31, 2013, 08:24:45 AM
As far as the 749R being the class over-dog, I can understand that statement but I know of a few air cooled Ducati/ Bimota built to 1128 that put out some serious power and are as fast or faster than the R. Depending on the track the 250GP bike has been very fast and in capable hands move along pretty good...

The Ducati/Bimotas you talk about are far from affordable.
So if you want to say a 40K Bimota is competitive with a 10K Duc, I will agree with that.

Having raced a 250GP, 250s are great capable machines.
When raced against anything other then a 250, their weak points make them useless in any other position then 1st.

-X
CCS/ASRA Midwest #140
Secondary Highway & Swift Molly's Motor Circus
facebook.com/SwiftMolly
Michelin • STT

roadracer162

Quote from: Xian_13 on January 31, 2013, 01:41:47 PM
Never said I raced the bike, nor did I say what classes the bike was legal for.
I would be possible to build the FZR-400 motor to the same specs, just would have cost more.

The Ducati/Bimotas you talk about are far from affordable.
So if you want to say a 40K Bimota is competitive with a 10K Duc, I will agree with that.

Having raced a 250GP, 250s are great capable machines.
When raced against anything other then a 250, their weak points make them useless in any other position then 1st.

-X

I half expected that we were still talking Thunderbike when you spoke of the Frankenmotor. 110 hp would be a lot for the 400 transmission. I would still love to build a lightweight FZR 400, say close to 300# and up to 90 hp.

Didn't think we were counting pennies for the class too with the 748RS costing a bunch to keep running not including the purchase price. I do know of a certain 749R in the 150hp range but so is the 748RS. So Bimota, NCR, Pierobon all on the same level as far as cost but the latter two not Thunderbike legal. The 250GP gets a grant and is legal. The Ducati 1000/1100 can be built just like the Bimota, or could we say the Paul Smart and it is a pretty good equal to the Bimota. Or how about that $50k SV that Barnes rode at Daytona.

My ride? It's a pieced together eBay special 748 that runs pretty good but isn't the top dog.
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22

sPatlovich1

Thanks for all the help. So, what are the grid numbers like in thunderbike?

roadracer162

Depends on the region and we shall see this year. Since it isn't a points paying class to the overall, only select racers compete. My Ducati 748 fits it nicely although it is not the fastest. Some air cooled ducats are very fast allowing a 1200cc displacement, but that's tough on the air cooled motor. I like the format where a multitude of engine configurations can race. I have often raced with my air cooled Ducati 800 although down on outright power
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22

sPatlovich1

what do you mean by it's not a points paying class? so their is no points giving out per race and no champion at the end of the year?

Woofentino Pugrossi

Quote from: sPatlovich1 on February 20, 2013, 12:50:29 AM
what do you mean by it's not a points paying class? so their is no points giving out per race and no champion at the end of the year?

Doesnt qualify for overall points for track championships.
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

roadracer162

Quote from: sPatlovich1 on February 20, 2013, 12:50:29 AM

It does pay poits each race to a Regional Championship, plus their is also the National Championship. it does not pay points to the overall points for the ultimate Number One plate as previously stated.
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22