News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

250cc Super Stock for 2013 (Ultra Light thunder bike )

Started by CHIRINOM, December 21, 2012, 01:39:09 AM

CHIRINOM

Hey guys,

As 2013 is quickly approaching I am wondering what the thoughts of the ULTB riders are on continuing to run under the gentleman's agreement for 2013. While it is disappointing that CCS is not willing to amend the rules 2013, we still have an awesome thing going. While I do plan to make a couple of the WERA events in 2013, it would be quite a commitment to travel to all of them so I plan to stay local for the most part.

For those of you just tuning in, in 2011 CCS implemented a class which allows the Ninja 250 to run competitively. It was developed to be a specialized class where the bikes remained stock and the tires must be DOT. This is very similar to a class offered by WERA called E Super Stock. The class brings down the cost to compete and increases the competitiveness by a huge margin. Racing a 250 costs less than 1/4 of what it costs to run in the larger displacement classes. A used 2012 can be picked up for under 1500.00 and a set of tires can be picked up for 250. One set of tires can last a season. A formula for success in my opinion.

"Ultralight ThunderBike is basically a SuperSport 250s class for bikes such as the Ninja and Honda 250, which aren't as competitive in other classes." said Kevin Elliott, owner of the Championship Cup Series. "Single & Twin cylinder liquid-cooled engines up to 250cc as well as Twin Cylinder air-cooled 350cc machines qualify for this class. Although some restrictions apply, bikes must be completely stock OEM for the most part and run street tires."

In an effort to increase participation in 2012, CCS decided to open up the rules allowing unlimited mods as well as Morawaki 250's to run. Later realizing the speed differential, they amended the rules to exclude the Morawaki 250. Unfortunately the open format for modifications remained un touched thus defeating the initial concept of of running a super port class.

In response to these changes, riders came together to form a gentleman's. Under the gentleman's agreement riders agree to keep machines stock, with the exception of exhaust, suspension, body, and controls. Normally a rider who desires to run a high performance light weight machine, runs in the Moto 3 / 125 GP class. Many of us have experience running other bikes ranging from minis to GP to 1000's. Others are \new to the racing scene and are looking to get some seat time before making the larger investment. Regardless of their back ground, every rider with whom I have spoken has said that racing a 250 is the most fun that  they have had on two wheels.

The success of this class being run as a spec style class has been shown in the numbers. Per Kevin Elliott, Eric Keltcher, and Henry Degowe of CCS, the numbers of participants has increased dramatically from 2011. While we were hoping for a reform of the rules for 2013 to officially limit it to spec, it may not be necessary as the reason for riders participating in this class is parity amongst machines and economy. Running under the spec ruling forces riders to improve their riding.

Please see the Spec Class Racing face book page for more up to date information, race write ups, and event dates.

We look forward to seeing you out there in 2013!
Miguel Chirino
SPECCLASSRACING.com

leeroy996

Have you approached Hyosong? I would think that manufacturer would be interested to back a series and provide discounted bikes.

Kawasaki and Honda don't seem to care.

vance

In.
Look forward to seeing everyone next season. I know there are a few new ones expected on the grid so it should be even more fun this coming season.  :cheers:

lonny426

2013 will be my first year racing. I bought a ninja 250 to race in the spec class. I would like to keep it the way it is so that we can keep the costs down and all have a chance to win. I look forward to meeting all the 250 guys and gals.

Quote from: lonny426 on December 21, 2012, 09:09:06 PM
2013 will be my first year racing. I bought a ninja 250 to race in the spec class. I would like to keep it the way it is so that we can keep the costs down and all have a chance to win. I look forward to meeting all the 250 guys and gals.
Welcome! did you buy Frank's bike?

I like the "250 SUPERSTOCK" name, I think that's how WERA call their 250 class. Since spec would be for only 1 make/model and there's also a Honda 250, I say we refer to our class as "250 SUPERSTOCK" this means those who honor the gentleman's agreement are part of the "250 SUPERSTOCK" class, those who don't, are just in ULWTB.

CHIRINOM

Miguel Chirino
SPECCLASSRACING.com

roadracer162

So a class within a class? I like it something like the CRT bikes in MotoGP.

Walter I think a "Cup Bike" would be the one make, one bike. "Super stock" is already in play with WERA and ownership of the name may come into play with possible legal issues. "Spec class" fits because you would be calling for just a 250cc similarity and not weight restrictions, intake restrictions but just similar equipment.

It will be much like the Florida Vintage Series where we will be running two classes in the same race all racing against one another.
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22
Mark Tenn Motorsports, Michelin tire guy in Florida.

CHIRINOM

Quote from: majicMARKer on December 21, 2012, 11:59:40 PM
So a class within a class? I like it something like the CRT bikes in MotoGP.

Walter I think a "Cup Bike" would be the one make, one bike. "Super stock" is already in play with WERA and ownership of the name may come into play with possible legal issues. "Spec class" fits because you would be calling for just a 250cc similarity and not weight restrictions, intake restrictions but just similar equipment.

It will be much like the Florida Vintage Series where we will be running two classes in the same race all racing against one another.

How about super duper stock. Lol
Miguel Chirino
SPECCLASSRACING.com

jacque372

Would my yamaha wr250x supermoto fit into this class?

vance

Quote from: jacque372 on December 25, 2012, 12:31:40 AM
Would my yamaha wr250x supermoto fit into this class?

From Wiki:
Engine   
Type   250cc liquid-cooled DOHC 4-stroke; 4 valves

From rule book:
ULTRALIGHT THUNDERBIKE (Amateur and Expert Combined)
Single cylinder, four-stroke liquid cooled, 250cc Twin cylinder, air cooled, 350cc Twin cylinder, four-stroke liquid cooled, up to 250cc NOTE: 125GP and MD 250 machines are not eligible for Ultralight
ThunderBike.

If the interwebs is correct, looks like it does.  Come on out!

2blueYam

With Honda coming to the table with some bucks, maybe some more 250Rs will join the class.  $750 to win, $500 for 2nd and $400 for 3rd is not bad money on something that doesn't eat tires or fuel like a big bike.  Sadly it looks like it will only be available at 6 "to be announced" rounds.  Still good on Honda to step up and offer just as much money for the 1/4 liter bikes as the big bikes.

http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/article/?article=50548

http://www.xtrm.com/contingency/honda/index.asp?ev=311&yr=2013&evt=7
R1 for Track, FZ1 for Street