Ultra Light thunder bike 250cc class rules for 2013

Started by CHIRINOM, December 12, 2012, 08:04:30 PM

twilkinson3

So I'll throw my bit into the pot - I'm one that IS waiting to see where the rules go for this class...why?...I'm tired of builder classes (1 only for me thanks) and I'm tired of being the HP underdog constantly - I race Lightweight at the moment which in CCS means 1000cc air cooled ducs and 1200cc air cooled buells, I too like the idea of a spec class with few modifications allowed, Kawi threw a monkey wrench in things with the discontinuation of the 250 in us markets and lets be serious, realistically the honda 250 wasn't going to run remotely well against the ex250 so it's already a one bike race...and that bike just got upgraded to a 300 for 2013, to a degree that's life and as one on the receiving end of many years of a hp disadvantage it will most likely mean I wait another year and see how this all pans out before investing in a bike for another class...I like the 250 because it's already cheap but I'm not up for another knife in a gun fight time

roadracer162

Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22
Mark Tenn Motorsports, Michelin tire guy in Florida.

Cowboy 6

Quote from: twilkinson3 on December 14, 2012, 08:40:26 PM
I race Lightweight at the moment which in CCS means 1000cc air cooled ducs and 1200cc air cooled buells

Correction: 1100 cc Ducs and oh, don't forget, 1100 Bimotas and Peirobons that are $40k to $60k and Supersport legal.... Don't try to put the same wheels that come on the Bimota on your Ducati though, you would be cheating.

Lightweight used to be an entry level class... what a joke now!

You can have a paddock full of 600s for the entry price of Lightweight!

C6

www.NeedGod.com  ....   www.TPOParts.com  ....   www.Christiansportbike.com.com ....  www.woodcraft-cfm.com ....  www.ebcbrakes.com ....www.baxleycompanies.com

roadracer162

I don't believe the pierobon is legal for supersport that may be changing for 2013. By following the concept of the rules the bimota is produced for street use so it fits the rules including displacement limits. The Ducati monster with essentially the same 1100 motor is also legal and runs just as good as a Bimota in supersport. No one has complained about that. Charlie Mavros on his Ducati monster won this year at the ROC with performance equalling my Ducati 748
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22

CHIRINOM

Going back to the Ultra Light Thunder bike class. I spoke to Henry Degouwe, the CCS Florida race promoter. Henry was of the opinion that the class has been very successful in it's 1st year.  He agrees that the 300, would be better suited for the other classes such as LWGP, GTL, ULSB.
Miguel Chirino
SPECCLASSRACING.com

Cowboy 6

I think the Ultralight Thunderbike class is a great class. It should be kept and all due vigilance observed to keep the original intent.

While the 300 bike is very nice, it is not even close to being competitive in the "LWGP, GTL, or ULSB" classes you suggest, sorry.
C6

www.NeedGod.com  ....   www.TPOParts.com  ....   www.Christiansportbike.com.com ....  www.woodcraft-cfm.com ....  www.ebcbrakes.com ....www.baxleycompanies.com

roadracer162

For Ultralight I would venture to say a supersport class in in order with a 250cc max. Ultralight thunder bike could cater to the 300cc in stock(unaltered air box) form. and the 250 allowed a little more changes to be competitive.
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22

Knedragon

Quote from: Cowboy 6 on December 16, 2012, 05:02:24 PM
I think the Ultralight Thunderbike class is a great class. It should be kept and all due vigilance observed to keep the original intent.

While the 300 bike is very nice, it is not even close to being competitive in the "LWGP, GTL, or ULSB" classes you suggest, sorry.

Have to agree .... the Moriwaki would still destroy it and it has lots of trouble with the rest of the Lightweight class bikes unless we head to Jennings.
Oh boy,Not another Oil Spewing diesel!!

Knedragon

Like the GENIUS stated .... the 300 comes in the class ... you cant change anything but suspension and tires ....... 250 is what you guys have now

CHIRINOM

Quote from: Cowboy 6 on December 16, 2012, 05:02:24 PM

Lol. I am not saying that it would be competitive. That was the position that the 250's were in before implementation of the ULTB class. I am just saying that it belongs in those other classes. CCS opened the ULTB class up AFTER implementation as a SS class for the 250 due to people not having SS legal 250s' (which is strange as I have not met one person who has one). We are now in a position where EVERY ONE has SS legal 250's. No one has a 300. If any one wants to go out and buy a 300 to race, they should race up a class as it is not a 250 but a 300.

Some people are mentioning the fun in being the under dog. The 300 should be the bike that those people are attracted to. Let them port, stroke, cam, power command, lighten, strengthen, and tune the heck out of them.

I would rather not be the under dog. I would rather race my 250 against other 250's who have not touched the motor as we did this year.
Miguel Chirino
SPECCLASSRACING.com

roadracer162

Steve you must mention that the "Genius" comment is meant in an endearing way.

Miguel I must question some of your motive here though. You mentioned that the 250 rider and bike was in a position to race in GT lights as the under dog. Then you somewhat demanded that there should be a specific class for your beloved 250 to run. Now it seems the 300cc motored bike is in the exact place to only run GT lights because it would totally obliviate the 250 field? Seems like a one-sided stance.

Let it be clear that I am not a 250 rider nor am I expected to purchase a bike, but I do support the thought and will give as much effort to making it work. Yes, it seems to me the lightweight class needs work. 1000 anything is not lighweight(motor displacement Steve) in my mind. Ultralight to me means it would be best suited to the 500cc and smaller. I max limit shoul be set for the class and then max limits for motor configurations.
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22

Knedragon

Ur a GENIUS Mark !! I shoulda thought of that  :banghead:  ..... Hey things change,over time bikes change there fore rules have to be changed.The 300 comes in the class and can only be run bone stock,250 can run what you brung.It should be close racing then  8)