CCS Homestead

Started by Blackbeener, December 03, 2012, 07:42:09 AM

Blackbeener

Congrats to Greg Melka on #1 Overall Florida, been a long time coming. Been to Homestead many times but this weekend was just ridiculous with the red flags in the morning. Anyways happy to be one of the ones who survived it. Think AM GTU was red flagged 5x. Guys running into each other in the parking lot? WTF? I think helicopter came everyday for someone. I know there was some titles on the line but come on people. Props to Henry during rider's meeting for acknowledging some problems and getting them rectified promptly.
R.I.P. RICHARD BRITTON

MELK-MAN

It is awesome to have such a energetic group of riders showing up to the events, but CCS will need to address the fact that many of our FL region riders do NOT speak English. The rider running into Lee Farmer in the pits was just unreal, and HD had addressed fast riding in the pits in the riders meeting. But, the guy that hit Lee doesn't speak english.. so did someone translate everything said in a meeting to him? was he even at the riders meeting? I'm not sure what the answer is, but we need to get the proper instructions and safety rules to ALL the riders.

I agree with the craziness on track being a bit out of hand as well. More than a few races i was in were red flagged, and some like your Mark, had more than one red flag. Stewart Hall from here in Tampa was flown out when an idot ON THE WARM UP LAP torpedoed him in turn 12 ..

I know CCS and Henry will look at this, and took the first steps in addressing pit riding in the riders meeting .. it just needs the next step to get the point across to those that only speak Spanish (or whatever language). Sadly stupid will always be stupid REGARDLESS of the rider's nationality, and nothing can be done to protect us from those riders. I only hope they crash themselves out of the sport (hopefully without hurting themselves of course) before they hurt someone else..

PS: yes. I too am happy i won the #1 plate, it will look nice alongside my five #2 plates :)
2012 FL region & 2014 South East overall champion
Pro Flow Tech Performance Fuel Injector Service
MICHELIN, EBC, Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice

Knedragon

Henry should run it this way,the race gets red flagged more then twice it gets bumped to the end of the day if theres time to run it ... that race took over an hour to complete. Nice job again Greg ... Mr #1  .... and yes I'm sure most of the language barrier isnt good
Oh boy,Not another Oil Spewing diesel!!

tug296

Big congradulations Greg!
Henry Madsen CCS Expert #396 
2004 Am. Super Twins Champion
Florida Region,  
Moto ST #96, Corvette #6, Patriot Guard Rider

vnvbandit

You be the man, numero uno, number one, best in show.  Congrats Greg and wear that Number 1 proudly, you earned it big time!!!!  :cheers:
~Brian
CCS FL 68
ASRA 68
Thanks
Nancy&Patrick

MELK-MAN

thanks guys.. :)

i would give it up in a heartbeat though if more riders would put safety higher on their priority list..

Gino230

Congrats Greg, you certainly earned it!

I think Henry simply needs to adopt a stricter policy- if you hit someone in the pits you should not be allowed to race. Accidents happen but he should be able to make a judgement call. I believe there is a provision for this in the CCS rulebook.

On track it's much harder to regulate, but something needs to be done- Eric M. was taken out by one of these the soon-to-be-expert young riders at a track day and is still not back. This rider seems to have calmed down of late but plenty of damage was done in this and other similar incidents.

Henry needs to address it somehow, as it IS and WILL discourage people from racing, and that is not good for the sport.

And BTW Greg, you need to show me how you went so fast on Tom's LW bike (which I have been told is old and uncompetitive)!
CCS / ASRA EX # 23
2012 Ducati 848 / 1100 Conversion     2005 Ducati 749RS
2006 CCS Florida Thunderbike Champion (AM)
2008 CCS LW Supersport National Champion (EX) 2nd in 2011 and now  2012....damn you Mavros!

leeroy996

Here's a comment I saw online.....

"As a WERA-West refugee, Homestead/CCS was totally cool"

MELK-MAN

Quote from: Gino230 on December 04, 2012, 12:54:14 PM
Congrats Greg, you certainly earned it!

I think Henry simply needs to adopt a stricter policy- if you hit someone in the pits you should not be allowed to race. Accidents happen but he should be able to make a judgement call. I believe there is a provision for this in the CCS rulebook.

On track it's much harder to regulate, but something needs to be done- Eric M. was taken out by one of these the soon-to-be-expert young riders at a track day and is still not back. This rider seems to have calmed down of late but plenty of damage was done in this and other similar incidents.

Henry needs to address it somehow, as it IS and WILL discourage people from racing, and that is not good for the sport.

And BTW Greg, you need to show me how you went so fast on Tom's LW bike (which I have been told is old and uncompetitive)!

the Michelin Cup tires Gino.. :) just try a set. Tom wasn't crazy about them for his first ride due to the dramatic feedback you get from the stiffer front michelin tire. But his lap times in practice, on a shitty old rear michelin i put on, was less than 1 second off his best race times :)

If i had more time to work on gearing with his bike, we may have gone even faster. I was on the limiter all the way down the hill into t1. And i thought in practice, 3rd gear would work in the slower corners. I ended up using 2nd to try and stay on Charlie's tail as the drive and engine braking were better, but i was a bit high in the rpm range.
Tom's bike is really pretty damn good, and the triple clamp he sells and put on his bike, really gets it to turn. Jane's bike is similar, but doesn't have the same triple clamp. it turns ok, but not like Tom's bike. Those things were a total blast to ride. I can't thank those 2 enough from ducatidepot enough.

other thing I noticed Gino, is the corner entry that i have, being used to the 600cc. I just didn't understand why some of the guys were hitting the brakes where they do, when coming off the faster bikes, we are used to higher speed. I will say this Mavros is very good on the brakes. He totally parks it in the corners, and that killed my lines, but he could power out and keep the lead. Hats off to him for that.

I like the idea of an AUTOMATIC suspension if you hit someone in the pits. That shit is just uncalled for. I was freaked out after Lee's incident, and found myself coming to a stop at the edge of some of the trailers not knowing if some idiot was going to come flying by..

leeroy996

Gino will be racing Middleweight next year...... :boink:

roadracer162

Quote from: leeroy996 on December 04, 2012, 05:34:51 PM

Gino will be racing Middleweight next year...... :boink:

Really? On the 749?
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22
Mark Tenn Motorsports, Michelin tire guy in Florida.

Gino230

The "old and uncompetitive" comment was a dig at myself, as my bike is nearly identical to Tom's, as we somewhat proved at Daytona. You raise a good point about brakes, since I brake at almost the same place on my 749 as I do on the LW bike- but the 749 has better brakes and is generally more stable. Mavros is good on the brakes and his bikes always make good power which is a tough combination. Especially for guys like me that are weak in the racecraft (i.e. passing) department.

Your comment about T1 says alot however- Being on the limiter going down the hill....well that's something I really need to work up to.

The MW decision has not been made, but if I did go that route it would be on an 848. The 749 is great but a bit fragile...the real idea is to get into the expert practice group so I can learn from the pros. Honestly after seeing how fast Greg went on a borrowed 1000DS, I am much less likely to believe that it's the bike holding me back. Back to the drawing board....
CCS / ASRA EX # 23
2012 Ducati 848 / 1100 Conversion     2005 Ducati 749RS
2006 CCS Florida Thunderbike Champion (AM)
2008 CCS LW Supersport National Champion (EX) 2nd in 2011 and now  2012....damn you Mavros!