News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

so..just how good are the Michelin PowerCUP race tires?

Started by MELK-MAN, October 25, 2012, 11:01:28 AM

MELK-MAN

Quote from: ekraft84 on November 14, 2012, 10:54:17 AM
Greg, you're worse over here than you are on that other forum.  :D

it started here Eddie.. :) the posts over there came after people asked "what about... " ;) and yea, they are THAT good. One reason i'm pounding the drum for these tires is michelin may have gotten a bad rap over the past few seasons..maybe for good reason. And we both know the dunlops and pirelli tires are very good (b-stone and continental may be too, i just don't see as many on them yet). But the new michelin tires are very very good, and should be considered among the best on the grid for good reason.
2012 FL region & 2014 South East overall champion
Pro Flow Tech Performance Fuel Injector Service
MICHELIN, EBC, Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice

ekraft84

Eddie Kraft - #48
Witchkraft Racing
Honda East Racing - Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki, Aprilia

banzai1

Too bad they don't make 'em for the 16.5". I'll just stay on the previous generation tire until they are all used up.

MELK-MAN

Quote from: banzai1 on December 06, 2012, 08:46:34 PM
Too bad they don't make 'em for the 16.5". I'll just stay on the previous generation tire until they are all used up.

if you have some 16.5" left Bob, totally understand, but i am not going faster on a 16.5" front. They do have em, the fronts are single compound, the rears are aysimetrical (sp) with a hard middle, and one side is harder than the other side, so like at JGP you could put the soft side on the right. Those rears only come in 6" wide though. I ran all last year (2011) with a 16.5" front slick on the sb whenever possible. it was much better than the V front dot, and similar but maybe better than some 17" slicks (there was one 17" slick that friggin ROCKED though). But now the better tires are 17" .. but ya have to buy new tires :) so yea, once the 16.5" stockpile is used up, don't be afraid to go 17" cause they are better than the 16.5" stuff.

Knedragon

I'm just happy with not dealing with Brubaker and his stupidity :-) ... had the balls to tell me whats wrong with a tire from 2007 at the begining of the this year,I said nothing when you can get rubber that was made from late 11 or early 12 ,sell em to ever wants to buy them :-)
Oh boy,Not another Oil Spewing diesel!!

MELK-MAN

Quote from: Knedragon on December 07, 2012, 07:44:09 AM
I'm just happy with not dealing with Brubaker and his stupidity :-) ... had the balls to tell me whats wrong with a tire from 2007 at the begining of the this year,I said nothing when you can get rubber that was made from late 11 or early 12 ,sell em to ever wants to buy them :-)

he's not SO bad Steve .. Michelin had a blowout on some 16.5" slicks a few years ago. Mike Roulou and I used em. they were like $35 per tire! and they were 10 years old. LOL They were a soft compound, on the 1000 they would barley do 1 race, but hey . who cares for 35$ :) If stored right, i'm just not so sure 5 years is that big a deal. But will not dispute i would rather have "new-ish" vs. old if paying full price.

Knedragon

Yeah Greg that would be no problem if he wanted to let them go cheap,he pretty much wanted the full amount  :jerkoff: ,these were 125 tires @$225 a set was the discount from like $250  :ahhh:  .... $30 a tire and I would have bought a dozen sets  :biggrin:
Oh boy,Not another Oil Spewing diesel!!

banzai1

Quote from: MELK-MAN on December 07, 2012, 10:04:30 AM
he's not SO bad Steve .. Michelin had a blowout on some 16.5" slicks a few years ago. Mike Roulou and I used em. they were like $35 per tire! and they were 10 years old. LOL They were a soft compound, on the 1000 they would barley do 1 race, but hey . who cares for 35$ :) If stored right, i'm just not so sure 5 years is that big a deal. But will not dispute i would rather have "new-ish" vs. old if paying full price.
I'm getting the power 1 16.5" slicks from that same guy for $140 each. That's for a rear, the fronts are $110.
Just don't go buying all of the fronts so I can buy a few, will ya?

Yeah I used those old tires for two races, changed 'em. I felt like a factory racer going out on new tires every two races. Oddly enough, that's when I was going the fastest I've gone on the 750.