Mounting Pitbull TRS to a truck tailgate

Started by vance, October 02, 2012, 08:05:09 AM

vance

Has anyone mounted a pitbull trailer restraint to a truck tailgate?  Just got a new (to me) truck and I don't want to be drilling holes in the tail gate if they're going to eventually rust.
Or is it better to just buy a Baxley or Condor wheel chock?

brendan113

Instead of drilling holes in tailgate I mounted trailer restraint in front of rear wheel. It's more of a hassle than installing behind wheel nut once you get the hang of it it's no biggie. I wouldnt trust mounting to tailgate and have never seen it done.

vance

Thanks
Did you do anything special while mounting the bracket to the bed?  I was thinking I would spray the drilled holes with some type of weather protective paint and then maybe use thin rubber washers to separate the plates or even cut a piece to fit under the entire mount.  I'm not sure if that will trap water between the plate and the bed though.

brendan113

Because of the ripples in the truck bed, you will most likely need something like a spacer to keep plate from bending. I think adding a second longer and or thicker plate under would be a good idea..

brendan113

Also you might wanna purchase a couple bolts twice the length of stock, you might end up  drilling through more than just the bed. I did.