My CCS vs WERA thoughts

Started by supercarl, August 29, 2012, 04:18:53 PM

Woofentino Pugrossi

Quote from: Jiggyfly on August 31, 2012, 02:04:54 PM
Yeah, the CCS tech thing is a PITA.
The worst part is, a guy can go through tech with a pair
of $100 leathers & $24.99 gloves, & if their not tore up (yet!),
then he can race with them! I watched them scrutinize a pair of
top notch leathers with some scuffs on them! A helmet, the date code, has it hit the ground....
I get it! As long as my leathers don't have major seam failure.....
& bringing my boots?! Really?! If you roll solo, like me.....it's a 2 trip affair.
Or, a struggling one trip affair!
(& no, I'm not putting all that shit on just to go to tech!)

Then you should try auto racing. :biggrin:
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

Turboblew

Quote from: supercarl on August 30, 2012, 09:07:01 AM
I'm not lazy about bike prep at all. I'm just not a fan of taking belly pan off, carrying leathers and gloves to tech, and all the extra safety wire that I have to take off/put on each tire change. I think that CCS tech requirements are adequete eneough.

I said most...not all.  Wera will tech yer helmet and bike. Leave your belly pan and leathers in you pit . As far as adequate... I'd rather the standard be high than not. Someone that can't be bothered to torque and wire critical bolts ruins the track for everyone...especially if they dump oil.

wild child

Quote from: gs750t on August 29, 2012, 09:12:32 PM
If you post this up on the WERA board.  Mongo will zilch it in 10 seconds!!!
More like 5

motomaniac

Quote from: Jiggyfly on August 31, 2012, 07:04:39 AM
I used to race Midwest CCS stuff in the good'ol days!
BHF, RA, Grattan, Gingerman, Putnam, Heartland Park, Gateway, Brainerd.....

This... I like blackhawk, but I'm not going there 4 or 5 times. Once or twice at one track is enough for me.  That's why I'll be at Brainerd running the big course instead of racing at blackhawk in a a couple of weeks.  Brainerd is W A Y more fun to race at. It's an 8-9 hour drive either way.. So go to the better track.... And I do like Ccs better than cra by far, but the track is that much better.
Ex#61

supercarl

Well after going through tech with WERA, CRA, and CCS I just like CCS tech the most. Havent done other regions with CCS, but the MW CCS tech is great. In my opinion they do a great job making sure everything is safe with not much hassle compared to all the other tech's Ive gone through.

As for the tracks situation, I'll say it again. Love blackhawk but 4 times in a row? no mas. Hopefully we get some more variety next year. Don't really care which tracks, just want to mix it up.
Super Carl Soltisz #620 facebook.com/supercracing
Sponsors: Michelin, Sportbike Tire Service, TSE, Nexx WrecksNRestorations, Vortex, Moto-D, Pop Shadow, Galfer, Spy, Armor Bodies, GoPro, Sidi, AGV Sport, MotoNation, Hindle, Motion Pro, Zero Gravity, Bernat PC, GP Tech, & All Balls Racing

truckstop

I should clarify that I would *love* to see other tracks on the schedule. Grattan and Gingerman are super fun, Mid-Ohio isn't any further for us in Milwaukee than Heartland Park, etc. and it's one of my favorite tracks (top three being Mid-Ohio, VIR, and Grattan, but I haven't ridden at Barber yet.)

That said, when CCS is barely able to get enough entries to keep two days of racing at BHF, and when you look at the size of the grids this year at HPT (tiny, the paddock was a ghost town and that even included some extra riders for TC), having a couple people willing to travel more than a couple hours isn't enough to commit to taking a chance at tracks that have already been unsuccessful for them in less lean times. I've never understood why Gingerman was unsuccessful. It's a two hour or so drive from Chicago and it's a fun layout.

The bulk of CCS MW's racers are from the Chicago/Milwaukee/Madison metro areas, and/or only have to travel one or two hours to get to BHF or RA. I don't like racing at BHF every weekend either, I've had way more fun traveling 12-16 hours to do the ASRA TC and USGPRU series this year, but not everyone can do that, and I understand why CCS doesn't really want to take the chance to expand the MW region.

gearhead

I'm a CCS MW guy.  I've never raced with WERA but I did race with AHRMA at Road America this year and they did a couple of things I really liked.
1. AHMRA requires you to fill out and wear a medical alert lanyard to get onto the track.  It makes a lot of sense because they race all over the country and probably don't know that many racers personally.
2.  They check everyone's helmet date and scroutinized it's condition carefully.   I know of a couple of guys who were hunting for helmets to borrow.

Several years ago, Mid-America was a double point event.  Seems like that might be worth a try again, doesn't cost the organization any more, I don't think, and seemed to bring a lot of folks out.

Jiggyfly

CCS & WERA SE both check helmet dates.

Romans Eight

This is great info to hear from a racers perspective. Thanks for sharing.

design-engine

Wera was cool.  I crashed on my first WERA race and since I was in first place when I crashed ... got up and was still in second place I didnt tech after crashing.  Since it was my first WERA race they let me slide not wanting to put a bad taste in my mouth.  haha.  I didn't have the heart to tell them I didn't really give a f*ck  .... they were so nice.   As for tech, I learned a lot which is why I race I suppose.  Safety wired the brake caliper bolts and shit.

CCS should go to Gratten.  Thats only 5 hrs.   Can someone tell me why they don't?  did CCS have it out with them too?   And for Putnam, they got to move that wall back.  Thats lazy too.

As for as grid sizes go... I gridded up at Road Atalanta in a WERA race with six rows.  I started on the third row and finished 4th overall by the way.    I like both CCS and WERA but I like larger grids even more!   I just wish we didnt do BFR so much.   Speaking of BFR did you guys hear they are pushing the guard rail back?  In my opinion they are not moving it far enough.  They moving it to the fence.  If you going to do it take part of that forest out and move the fence way the F*ck back....   Gezzz.  Talk about lazy or they prefer the helicopter

bart

design-engine

deleted this post Alexa.... Oh It was nice to see you today and great new place!