My CCS vs WERA thoughts

Started by supercarl, August 29, 2012, 04:18:53 PM

Jeff

I draw the line at safety wiring the tires to the rims.  =)

WERA/CRA have safety wire weight requirements of 2lbs. lol.
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

supercarl

Quote from: Buell487 on August 30, 2012, 01:20:06 PM
I'm with you on this one.  Blackhawk is great and is probably my favorite track but some variety in the Midwest series would be nice.  Maybe mix in a round at MAM or Brainerd.  Being from MN I'd love a round or two at Brainerd.  The new short course is really fun and I'm sure there would be a lot of CRA guys there that would make for some pretty big grid numbers.

+1 for Brainerd. I've only ever done the long course, but it was a blast. I'm sure the short course would be decent too.

Quote from: twilkinson3 on August 30, 2012, 02:00:56 PM
The thing with the midwest rounds is the drive time to anything not RA and BFR for the bulk of hte CCS race population - don't get me wrong I'd love to see more tracks on the schedule in the midwest...would I drive 10 hours one way to visit them however?...maybe, maybe not which is why I think we have RA and BFR (mostly BFR) for midwest CCS races...draws 2 major population zone with Chicago and Milwaukee/Madison

I hear ya, but there are a few tracks less than 10 hours away that I think could be added. Like what about Grattan? Thats only a few hours from Chicago. Or putnum? I've never been to Putnum, but I bet it could work. I would say Gingerman too but I dont like Gingerman ;) lol. Theres even autobahn.

I'm just mad at myself I didnt go to heartland park this year. I wimped out becuase I thought the weather would suck and it was like a 12 hour drive for me.  Turns out weather was awesome tho and now I'm kicking myself for it, especially because it put me so far behind in the points to miss it. Oh well, hopefully next year is better!
Super Carl Soltisz #620 facebook.com/supercracing
Sponsors: Michelin, Sportbike Tire Service, TSE, Nexx WrecksNRestorations, Vortex, Moto-D, Pop Shadow, Galfer, Spy, Armor Bodies, GoPro, Sidi, AGV Sport, MotoNation, Hindle, Motion Pro, Zero Gravity, Bernat PC, GP Tech, & All Balls Racing

Woofentino Pugrossi

Quote from: supercarl on August 30, 2012, 02:33:53 PM
+1 for Brainerd. I've only ever done the long course, but it was a blast. I'm sure the short course would be decent too.

I hear ya, but there are a few tracks less than 10 hours away that I think could be added. Like what about Grattan? Thats only a few hours from Chicago. Or putnum? I've never been to Putnum, but I bet it could work. I would say Gingerman too but I dont like Gingerman ;) lol. Theres even autobahn.

I'm just mad at myself I didnt go to heartland park this year. I wimped out becuase I thought the weather would suck and it was like a 12 hour drive for me.  Turns out weather was awesome tho and now I'm kicking myself for it, especially because it put me so far behind in the points to miss it. Oh well, hopefully next year is better!

Putnam will never happen. The owner there and ccs had it out years ago. Autobahn was tried. Again they dont want racing there. Gingerman just never had a decent turnout to warrent going there. Mid America Motorplex dunno what happened but havent been there for years. Gateway, well its gone (good riddance IMO). Heartland park, 14hr one way for a single day race? I wont do that. Hell years ago we had Barber listed for a MW event. Gratten probably would be like Gingerman, sparse turnout.

Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

supercarl

Oh I didnt know that about a lot of those tracks. However, I think Grattan would actually still have a good turnout. They repaved it recently and the track is a ton of fun with lots of elevation changes. You would get a lot of riders from the other side of the lake too.
Sponsors: Michelin, Sportbike Tire Service, TSE, Nexx WrecksNRestorations, Vortex, Moto-D, Pop Shadow, Galfer, Spy, Armor Bodies, GoPro, Sidi, AGV Sport, MotoNation, Hindle, Motion Pro, Zero Gravity, Bernat PC, GP Tech, & All Balls Racing

Fast Eddy

Autobahn won't do racing since the the guy got badly injured or killed... can't remember. AMA had an event scheduled there but when the riders saw the safety issues they wouldn't ride it. (still won't) They didn't listen to the safety advisor that they asked to come help make it moto safe... next!

Gateway I thought I heard re-opened.... maybe next year????

Heartland is only 10hours from Milwaukee. No worst than going to barber....

It would be great if we could get a little more of the MI tracks mixed in....

Just my thoughts.

Ed (AKA Dirt nap) CCS #102
http://www.southeastsales.com/
The liver is evil and must be punished!
http://www.facebook.com/team.chouffe

truckstop

Quote from: supercarl on August 30, 2012, 09:07:01 AMI'm just not a fan of taking belly pan off, carrying leathers and gloves to tech, and all the extra safety wire that I have to take off/put on each tire change.

FYI We've done a lot of traveling to other CCS regions this year and the Midwest seems to be the only one that doesn't require this. Everywhere else you have to tech all of your gear (including checking build dates on helmets) and bring your belly pan (removed). We's spoiled.

I thought Gingerman got punted off the schedule because of lack of attendance. ACC won't happen because it's $$$ to rent. Grattan would be awesome but I bet it would suffer the same fate as GMan. People just don't like driving around the lake for some reason. The WERA event at BHF was pretty empty. HPT was on the MW schedule this year and that was pretty empty too. People just don't want to drive long distances, so we're stuck with RA and BHF.

Woofentino Pugrossi

Quote from: truckstop on August 31, 2012, 01:10:38 AM
FYI We've done a lot of traveling to other CCS regions this year and the Midwest seems to be the only one that doesn't require this. Everywhere else you have to tech all of your gear (including checking build dates on helmets) and bring your belly pan (removed). We's spoiled.

I thought Gingerman got punted off the schedule because of lack of attendance. ACC won't happen because it's $$$ to rent. Grattan would be awesome but I bet it would suffer the same fate as GMan. People just don't like driving around the lake for some reason. The WERA event at BHF was pretty empty. HPT was on the MW schedule this year and that was pretty empty too. People just don't want to drive long distances, so we're stuck with RA and BHF.

Wera was only sparce at BHF because they also had a big race at Road Atlanta the same weekend. Was good to finally meet Mongo in person though.
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

Jiggyfly

I used to race Midwest CCS stuff in the good'ol days!
BHF, RA, Grattan, Gingerman, Putnam, Heartland Park, Gateway, Brainerd.....

Now I'm a Midwest transplanted to South Carolina! I've been doing CCS & WERA races since I moved here at the end of last year. I was kind of surprised to race CCS at Roebling Road, & then WERA there with 1/2 of the people!!! WERA's forum makes the org seem huge, but the number of people on there that actually race is significantly smaller.
I've only done 2 WERA rounds, so I'll say this: more expensive, transponders more expensive, practice more expensive,
but, for my class......the grids are way bigger in WERA than CCS. (E super stock or Ultra Light Thunder Bike....Ninja 250). This last weekend at Talladega, tech opened at 8:15 & practice started @ 8:30. I thought that kinda sucked.
But, like I said......the 250 grid was huge!
The tech guy sees my CCS stickers & says, "CCS!? Well let's get those off of there!"
I say, "those are MY stickers, please leave them ALONE!"

supercarl

Just saying I drive around the lake everytime to make it to Blackhawk. It doesnt stop me. I vote we give Grattan a shot. If turnout isnt great we can just nix it. But I really think it'd be welcome to alot of people after doing BFR so much this year. Only thing is their bathrooms suck. They need to work on that. BFR has it down

Im glad we're spolied in CCS midwest tech tho:D Everywhere else should follow our example. The tech guys are friendly, nice, and do their best every weekend to make sure we ride safe without giving us too much hassle. Less time in tech = more time to prepare and focus on the day's racing. I love it!

^^^ Lol about the CCS Stickers at WERA. I had simular comments made to me when I told them all I normally race CCS haha. All in good fun :)

Cowboy 6

Quote from: supercarl on August 30, 2012, 09:07:01 AM
I'm not lazy about bike prep at all. I'm just not a fan of taking belly pan off, carrying leathers and gloves to tech, and all the extra safety wire that I have to take off/put on each tire change. I think that CCS tech requirements are adequete eneough.

That must be a local thing. CCS MA requires several trips or a pit crew to carry all your crap + removed belly pan (inspected as well) while WERA MA requires a bike (belly pan left in pit) and a helmet. Easy one man job.
Yes, the safety wire is a pain, however, most of the "extras" you wire vs CCS you never remove so it is a once an done thing.
C6

www.NeedGod.com  ....   www.TPOParts.com  ....   www.Christiansportbike.com.com ....  www.woodcraft-cfm.com ....  www.ebcbrakes.com ....www.baxleycompanies.com

Jiggyfly

Yeah, the CCS tech thing is a PITA.
The worst part is, a guy can go through tech with a pair
of $100 leathers & $24.99 gloves, & if their not tore up (yet!),
then he can race with them! I watched them scrutinize a pair of
top notch leathers with some scuffs on them! A helmet, the date code, has it hit the ground....
I get it! As long as my leathers don't have major seam failure.....
& bringing my boots?! Really?! If you roll solo, like me.....it's a 2 trip affair.
Or, a struggling one trip affair!
(& no, I'm not putting all that shit on just to go to tech!)

vance

I've met plenty of cool people in both orgs, and that matters most to me. Started with WERA and moved to the end of the planet (South FL) a few years ago, so wera events are pretty sparse down here.  From what I remember, safety wire wasn't all that much more but you didn't have to drag all of your crap to tech with wera. The least CCS could do is let you make 2 trips. Every time I've tried to tech my gear first without bike, they've shot me down.
Transponders are way cheaper with CCS
MW grids seem big enough for both
Love the Saturday practice day here in south FL, although I haven't had the opportunity to take advantage of it lately. That's a good bang for the buck.
All the crap with ULTB has been rough, but it's a new class and is understandable.