race of champions?

Started by wera331, May 15, 2002, 01:16:24 PM

wera331

so,I could finish first in my region all year and someone could just show up and win the race of champions for my class and division and then would be the champ. for that class and division?without racing all year?is this correct?

TreyBone

YEP,  Unfortunaltly I think that is the case.  That is not really fair for the people who run all year.  Especially since Race of Champions in at Daytona.  Example:
Rider A - Runs every race on the schedule and finishes in the top 5 every weekend. He smokes a lot of riders and indeed is a much better rider than most of guys in his class. Then he goes to the ROC at Daytona and finishes second. HE LOSES< NO NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP.

Rider B - Runs 2 races all year and never finishes in the top 20. Spends a shit load of money on a motor for Daytona. He wins daytona and the National Championship. THAT IS A BUNCH OF BULLSHIT

Anyone here who has run daytona knows the deal. You really can't make up much time(if any) in the infield. If someone has a faster bike than you, then your screwed.

I think the national championship should be based on points and some sort of finishing postion at ROC

wera331

any idea when a schedule will be available I'm trying to take off work and I'm not sure when to ask for.

FullMoonRacing

I think if they're going to decide a National Championship on ONE race on a high horsepower track in Florida, they should run the ROC in March so that all kinds of other guys in the rest of the country aren't fooled into working/spending all year long on a campaign!  Think of the money you could save!

Eric Kelcher

Quoteany idea when a schedule will be available I'm trying to take off work and I'm not sure when to ask for.

Oct17-20
with Team Hammer practice on 16th

StuartV666

Quoteso,I could finish first in my region all year and someone could just show up and win the race of champions for my class and division and then would be the champ. for that class and division?without racing all year?is this correct?

Well, yeah. But, it ain't such a big deal. I've run CCS Bike Week and CCS ROC numerous times and, unless things have changed in the last year or two, your scenario ain't gonna happen for one simple reason. The person who just shows up for the ROC is going to be gridded so far back, they are not going to get to the front in 8 laps (or 10 or whatever it is these days), no matter how much motor they bring with them. And if they do, then they deserve the Championship. But that's irrelevant. Unless it's Scott Russell, it ain't gonna happen. And he has the grace to pull off before the Checkers.

The ROC is gridded by points. Regional Champs up front. No-points people in the back, most likely in a 2nd or 3rd wave.

The thing you should be more worried about is the guy you beat every race all year who ends up 4th or 5th in the region, so he ends up gridded fairly close to the front, and HE brings a big, big motor to Daytona. Then, what do you say? The guy raced a lot of races, and finished well all season (but never as well as you), but he wins the champeenchip. I think *that* is the biggest "unfairness" (if you will) to running races all year on tracks that aren't really "horsepower" tracks and then running the National Championship at Daytona. But, ultimately, that's racing. There's always somebody out there that can buy a faster bike than you can. If this happens, be glad he only beat you at Daytona.

- Stu

Brett

Hey guy's you still have to ride. You can have the fastest motor there but if you can't ride good. well.. The fast guys do 53's on 600's how do you explain that. You can win with a slower bike. I started 68th second wave in UNLSS a couple of years ago on a 750 and finished 3rd. I passed the leaders but they motored me to the line. They were on 1000,s. With one more lap I would have won. Or if I had run races during the year to get points I could have started closer to the front. The race is not about who spent the most money. Ran the most races. But who is the fastest.

stillslow

What year was that? ::) ::) ::)

Brett

That was 98 or 99. Or it may have been the CCS race in march. I will see if I can find the my wood it may have a date on it. The point is it's not all about motor. It may make you faster or it may scare you and make you slower. But it doesn't mean you will be able to beat somebody thats riding better with less motor. I could go to Daytona with a GSXR1000 but I don't think I could beat Yaets or Bostrom on a 600.

GAMEDIC

Hell i got a 1000 i can't beat anyone LMAO ;D

tug296

I think that R.O.C. at Daytona should not remain as it is. Why not just pay double points for March, and double points for R.O.C. Seems to me that this would be fair to all.
 Does any other racing organization have this system crowning a champion?
Say all the money, time and effort put into a season has you first in the points, you go to Daytona only to have a faster rider win your race and be crowned king of the hill.

Yes, faster riders deserve recognition of being fastest, they can win the race and not steal what what someone has worked all year for, a Championship, unless they too have paid their seasonal dues.

While I will probably never even be close to this scenario, I feel for those who have experianced this" phenomina"

Henry Madsen CCS Expert #396 
2004 Am. Super Twins Champion
Florida Region,  
Moto ST #96, Corvette #6, Patriot Guard Rider

the_weggie_man

CCS is made up of many riders from many regions. SCCA for sports cars does it the same way. The fast guy at Mid-Ohio is the champ.  Granted Mid-Ohio would not benefit a big hp bike but it still comes down to one race for all the glory.

It's not like a national series that has the same riders competing against each other all year for a points total championship. That is what the regional series is all about.

So how do you take racers from all over the country, who don't run against each other all year and make it a points total championship?  Rather difficult to do. If someone can figure a better way, let CCS know it.

I do agree the championship should not be at Daytona. Like SCCA, Mid-Ohio, or some other track that really enforces the riders ability would be a better venue, much better racing.

For many years a number of CCS midwest regional champs wouldn't show up at Daytona for that reason, too much hp needed. Fortunately they changed their minds and over the last few years have gone to ROC and kicked butt.

The major reason CCS lets anyone come down and enter the ROC is $$$$. The more riders they let race = more money to pay the bills. Daytona ain't cheap!

I always liked an invitation by points only system better. You have to run x amount of races and garner a certain amount of points or regional standing to be able to run for a championship.