News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

AMA rules?

Started by Baltobuell, April 30, 2003, 07:29:11 AM

Baltobuell

Do they make a 330cc kit for TZ's? I was looking just for something to do and It looks to me like there isn't going to be any compettion for a 600 inline or a 1000 inline. With exception of Factory prepped RC's. Kind of kicks Ducati out. Am I missing something or is it going to be more boring than NASCAR without different bikes.

TZDeSioux

whoever came up with that formula is an idiot! This is the AMA's way of saying "you can have your 250 class but we'll make it so uncompetitive that you won't race the class". It's ridiculous. What they need to do is keep superbike with it's current rules, keep supersport with it's current rules, dump the suzuki gsxr 750 cup series, and keep the 250GP class.

motomadness

I would prefer:
- keep the 250 class, but allow full world-spec equipment (bring more international talent in to participate in our series, preferrably the world level racers, but the young Brits and Spainards will do nicely)
- add the 125 class (fans can watch the young talent)
- make all superbikes unlimited liter bikes (any number of cylinders) - go all out, this is the premiere class
- 600 supersport based on world-spec rules - more modifications to truly realize the limits of the stock machine
- I like the new superstock class, but with the FX class, why do you need it?  To sell bikes is all I see.
- the new FX is like a junoir superbike class, like GP2, let them have unlimted modifications, call it the 4-stroke GP class

I don't think there are enough talented 250GP riders here in the US to make the new FX class an interesting effort.  I believe most of them will severely lag behind the 4-strokes.  Just look at the laps time from any of the AMA qualifying sheets from the fast tracks in the US.  Only Oliver and Sorensen would be competitive.  

Wouldn't you like to see a 135hp 600cc bike with magnesium wheels, Ohlins forks, custom swingarms and the like at your local track?

Additionally, what factory is going to support this 330cc 2-stroke format.  Realistically there are no factory backed 2-stroke efforts here in the US.  Aprilia has sent over a few engineers to provide basic support for Stargel Aprilia's effort, but even his bikes are lacking many of the true World GP spec parts and service.  

I think this new FX format would work great in Italy or in the UK where there is an adbundance of excellent 2-stroke tuners, but I don't think the spectacle would be appreciated here in the US.

In conclusion, more world-spec level racing in the US would be appreciated, even if it were the regular racers participating in the series.  

tigerblade

FXtreme should be for the all-out inline 4's.  I wish they would have left Superbike alone.   :-/
Younger Oil Racing

The man with the $200K spine...

Baltobuell

Thank you guys. I was reading that and it didn't make sence. I thought my brain was having an off day. It's the guy that writes the rule book who's brain is failing. I feel better now. :)

Protein Filled

I hear that there is a Swedish company that makes 350 cc kits for the TZ. I remember that Rich Oliver tried one of them back around 1992 right after he won the Formula USA championship on the YZR500, when Kenny Roberts decided that he was done racing in the US. He was never very competitive and the bike kept on breaking. 250's are already tweaked to the max as is.

They will also allow twins up to 750 cc's, but I don't see a built 748 being able to keep up with a superbike 600 with the same rider, much less an SV, unless the races were at a track like Blackhawk or Gingerman.

I think it's just the AMA's way to try and please all the people who were complaining that the Pro-Thunder and 250's were gone. Like Oliver told roadracingworld.com, it would be OK if you had a factory 250. Otherwise forget making a 250 competitive, even if they kept the 600's as Supersport bikes.

The only cool thing about it is that at least we get to see the 250 riders racing the AMA races, even if it's only for 15th place.
Edgar Dorn #81 - Numbskullz Racing, Mason Racin Tires, Michelin, Lithium Motorsports

Don't give up on your dreams! If an illiterate like K3 can write a book, imagine what you can do!

MightyDuc Racing

Hopefully they'll come to their senses.  And as far as Pro-Thunder goes..Harley just needs to keep throwing money at the AMA so there's a place for the Buells to look good and it'll stick around. :)
MightyDuc Racing
CCS AM #944 - Florida Region
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:
Tomahawk Tires, Dunlop, AGV, Superbikes & Ski, SW Medical Supply, BCM

Baltobuell

OK, you brought it up ;D That's why I was looking. No place for Harley in the American Motorcycle Association? What's up with that? That's when i saw there's no place for Aprilia, Ducati, 250's or anything creative.  Premier organization? The big 4 dump real money there with real factory support. The factory riders make the AMA what it is. It looks a little blatant the way the rules make it almost impossible for anything else to win though. (sadly reminisiant of Harley/AMA dirt track) Pattern?
 Formula USA has better competition. Yes KRjr and them set faster lap times. So what, formula cars are faster than Nascar but where are the fans. It's about competition. I'm suprised with their connections in radio, TV time for formula events is still not happening.

MightyDuc Racing

The AMA is screwing itself in the long run.  They can barely keep control of the supercross series they invented!  I think soon enough, the factory guys will be running either strictly in WSBK and they'll have a few rounds over here, or everybody will switch to something like FUSA.  Not tomorrow mind you, but it's coming if the AMA keeps this crap up. ::)
MightyDuc Racing
CCS AM #944 - Florida Region
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:
Tomahawk Tires, Dunlop, AGV, Superbikes & Ski, SW Medical Supply, BCM