Engine noises?? Bike dies...need help!!

Started by ericb, April 29, 2003, 12:24:08 PM

ericb

I have a 98 gsxr 750 and I tried going to a track day two weeks ago and I noticed that my bike sounded like a freakin dump truck. I ran 3 laps and then the bike died and wouldn't start again. There was a loud ticking noise coming from the engine itself. Also, my FI light remains lit and the little oil icon keeps flashing on my dash. I've checked my oil levels and they look fine. I'm going to change the oil as soon as I get a filter. Also, my bike keeps over heating and then the reservoir starts dumping water out of the overflow valve. I guess it's boiling over! Also, my battery keeps draining.

Can someone please help! Before this happened I had just gotten done replacing my clutch. Other then that, I haven't really done anything to the engine and I haven't touched ANYTHING with the electrical system. I've heard that the ticking noise could be my cam chain tensioner, so I ordered a manual one from ape. I also just installed a new battery. As far as the overheating goes, could my water pump be dead? Could the thermostate be jacked up? I really don't know what else to do.

Xian_13

Just drawing at straws here... but....
The ticking could be any number of things.
Did the ticking increase with the RPM of the motor, or the Speed of the Bike?
If the Ticking was related to the motor RPM, I am guessing the worst case...  you cam chain jumped and you were tapping your values. This guess is based off of the "dump truck" comment. when a cam chain jumps the motor may still run.. just poorly!
I ran into this over the winter when my ice bike decided I needed a valve job.
Best way to find out if you lost a valve... or many valves is to do a compression test. As far as the other issues, they may be related.. or maybe not, just to hard to tell with out seeing with your own eyes.
CCS/ASRA Midwest #140
Secondary Highway & Swift Molly's Motor Circus
facebook.com/SwiftMolly
Michelin • STT

unforgivenracing

8)FRIENDS!
 :(WE are GATHERED heir to pay are last RESPECTS to a bike we all knew.  
 ;)LET us give a moment of silince to the departed for many years of FAITHFUL service.
OK, thats enough.  NOW, REPENT FOR YOUR SINS!
Next time buy a Honda. ;D
CCS Midwest EX 501(RETIRED) E-mails welcome @: unforgivenracing@hotmail.com or, IM and e-mail me @: unforgiven_racing@yahoo.com also,
Check out pic's @: http://www.facebook.com/wolff.shawn

ericb

Quote8)FRIENDS!
 :(WE are GATHERED heir to pay are last RESPECTS to a bike we all knew.  
 ;)LET us give a moment of silince to the departed for many years of FAITHFUL service.
OK, thats enough.  NOW, REPENT FOR YOUR SINS!
Next time buy a Honda. ;D

You sound like my roommates, they both have F4i's.  I figured out what the problems is....I'm a horrible mechanic!!   :'(

ninelives59

the noise is most likely from the cam chain tensioner,if it is stock consider your self lucky that you have come this far.As for the over heating,the most common problem is air in the cooling system,there is a bleeder by the thermostat housing under the tank.loosen the cap on the radiator and open the bleeder screwThe level of coolant will drop when all the air comes out.that is the most common problem.I never have seen a water pump fail on one yet.I have raced and built srad motors since the first 96 model up until know.try that and see what happens        
CCS FLORIDA  #6
9LIVESRACING
PIRELLI TIRES
WWR DESIGNS
EXTREME PHOTO'S

unforgivenracing

How are you comming alone on the repairs ???
CCS Midwest EX 501(RETIRED) E-mails welcome @: unforgivenracing@hotmail.com or, IM and e-mail me @: unforgiven_racing@yahoo.com also,
Check out pic's @: http://www.facebook.com/wolff.shawn

Eric Kelcher

Well the clutch is going to be my guess. If not installed properly you can break the gears off that drive the water pump. Bingo overheat without the water temp gauge rising since water is not circulating, the FI light will also come on as it is not getting the right signals from the different sensors.

edit this is a real old question someone brought back to the top. hope you got the problem solved.
Eric Kelcher
ASRA/CCS Director of Competition