Woodcraft - Trackside support

Started by clarustnb, March 22, 2012, 02:19:55 PM

clarustnb

So I had an unfortunate get-off at Roebling last time out my first race of the weekend.  Roebling is a 13 hour drive for me, so needless to say, I wanted to rebuild and at least stick around the track another day collecting points and smiles.

Imagine my dismay and surprise when I walked around looking for a Woodcraft clip-on tube and footpeg and found there were no vendors that sold Woodcraft spares at the track. 

Is this something new? It's been a while since a crash didn't rendered me unable to continue in body, so my first time shopping for spares trackside in a while. 

The real question - I'd rather not purchase $100 worth of woodcraft spares [shift levers, footpegs, etc] if I can buy them at the track when needed, but if I had to sit out the rest of the weekend for a $20 footpeg would have been humiliating.
Benjamin Loyle
SV650 # 909
http://loyle.lwtracer.com/

roadracer162

Ben, clip on tubes shouldn't have been a problem, any tube should fit and you could have come to me. Now pegs are a different story although they crash pretty good, seldom breaking but certainly bending. Then as time has gone on there has been bike specific pegs out now. I usually have some back up pegs for my bike.

Mark
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22
Mark Tenn Motorsports, Michelin tire guy in Florida.

clarustnb

I guess I didn't reply with the happy ending.  Yes I put in a Vortex tube which worked fine and Mark Evry let me rummage through his bin of toys to rebuild everything as good as new.

I was just bummed that we don't have a Woodcraft Vendor - but wondered if there was one that I was missing or just happened to not be at Roebling.  I guess I'll break down and get the woodcraft spares for the bin...
Benjamin Loyle
SV650 # 909

roadracer162

Yeah Ben, it's nice when racers let you go through their dirty laundry bin. Just watch out for the shorts with the skid mark. It is nice when racers come together like that. I only know of Woodcraft being at Homestead in February and then again in December. They are usually there during the Penguin School events.

I don't think the Woodcraft stuff is as popular as the Vortex so you will find more Vortex spares and vendors. I like the feel of the Woodcraft pegs and so it is Woodcraft for me.

Mark
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22
Mark Tenn Motorsports, Michelin tire guy in Florida.

clarustnb

I think I would have gone Vortex, but they don't exist for the 1st Gen SVs without custom mounting plates.

just the though of Mark Evry's dirty shorts.... :: shudder ::
Benjamin Loyle
SV650 # 909

LoneStar

Uh, I talked to a guy with some Woodcraft products front and center on a table he had in front of his trailer.  He was set up right next to the Dunlop guy near the main entrance/exit to the infield.

Other than that, you should have asked around.  I have plenty of spares of Woodcraft clip-on tubes, footpegs, and shift/brake lever nubs b/c they are pretty much consumables for me :D  I would have hooked you up.
CCS AM #134 - Ducati 848 - www.facebook.com/FullerMoto
2012 CCS Atlantic SuperTwins AM Champion
2012 CCS Mid-Atlantic SuperTwins AM Champion
2012 CCS Summit Point SuperTwins AM Track Champion

LoneStar

If you're in the MidAtl region, Miles of Street & Competition carries Woodcraft gear.

Last I talked to him, he does hang out down South during the winter months at Roebling and other tracks, but couldn't make it to the CCS round this year as he had moved everything back up North already.

clarustnb

Exactly the response I was looking for - so next time I'll make sure to crash further up north!
Benjamin Loyle
SV650 # 909

LoneStar

Quote from: clarustnb on March 22, 2012, 04:01:32 PM
Exactly the response I was looking for - so next time I'll make sure to crash further up north!

I guess you didn't see my other posts.  You pretty much walked right past the guy with the Woodcraft parts at Roebling.  Plus I had them too.  Next time, go to the dude with the mic and have him call it out over the PA.  I only remember one call for a part over the PA that weekend, but dude got what he needed.

clarustnb

Yep that dude was me.

I asked around and did the walk of shame, but I guess I missed you.  I feel much better now knowing there was more help lying around too.

Thanks guys.
Benjamin Loyle
SV650 # 909

twilkinson3

Quote from: clarustnb on March 22, 2012, 03:19:24 PM
I think I would have gone Vortex, but they don't exist for the 1st Gen SVs without custom mounting plates.

just the though of Mark Evry's dirty shorts.... :: shudder ::

I have a dxf file for making said plates that's free to anyone that wants it - turns a gen 2 adjustable vortex kit into a gen 1 adjustable vortex kit - just pm me an email....now if I saw them offered for sale by someone for profit...might be issues, short of that meh was about 8 hours of work to get the shape right

Gino230

I was told that the roebling charge for vendors is much higher, thus there are fewer vendors. I was looking for lap timer batteries, I stopped by the CTR suspension trailer as they were the only vendor in the paddock, but they didn't have any.
CCS / ASRA EX # 23
2012 Ducati 848 / 1100 Conversion     2005 Ducati 749RS
2006 CCS Florida Thunderbike Champion (AM)
2008 CCS LW Supersport National Champion (EX) 2nd in 2011 and now  2012....damn you Mavros!