GPS lap timers

Started by bruce71198, February 22, 2012, 02:12:07 PM

bruce71198

What are you using and how do you like them ?

LoneStar

I have extensively used the RacePak G2X over the past several years.  Just replaced it with a XT Racing GPX Pro.  Both have their Pro's and Cons.

I bought the XT Racing GPX Pro mainly for the display that allows for review immediately after a session where the RacePak required I pull the memory card and download to the computer for detailed analysis beyond lap times.

The RacePak G2X excels in it's TrackMate analysis software.  Highly configurable, calculated channels, etc.  This is some serious software that is configurable in every aspect of the software but, with this flexibility, comes a little more complexity and difficulty to grasp.  But, they have great tech support.

The TrackMate software supports as many splits as you care to use where the GPX only supports 6.  I can live with the 6 split limit, but on the G2X I could split every corner so that I knew exactly how fast I was cornering every corner on the track.

The XT Racing XT Studio software is basic compared to TrackMate but mostly gets the job done.  I miss the Calculated channels, but I love how you can re-design the screens you see on the GPX Pro's LCD display.  I can always dump the data to an Excel-compatible CSV file to peform channel calculations if I needed to on the GPX Pro.  But again, it would be nice if I can see on screen.  This was one of the main reasons why I switched to the GPX Pro from the G2X.

The XT Racing GPX Pro is a very compact package and clean install where the RacePak G2X consists of a module that is approximately 6"x4"x1", an external GPS antenna, a basic LED display with a couple controller buttons, and a 4-port Universal Sensor Module (USM) for sensor inputs like throttle position, brake, suspension travel, water temp.  It made for a rat's nest of wires.  The XT Racing GPX Pro is a clean install compared to the RacePak G2X.

I'll probably stick with the GPX Pro although I miss some features of the G2X. 

So, I have a RacePak G2X system for sale if anyone is interested :)  Still highly recommended and it's the unit of choice that I see over and over in the magazine tests.

CCS AM #134 - Ducati 848 - www.facebook.com/FullerMoto
2012 CCS Atlantic SuperTwins AM Champion
2012 CCS Mid-Atlantic SuperTwins AM Champion
2012 CCS Summit Point SuperTwins AM Track Champion

LoneStar

Quote from: LoneStar on February 22, 2012, 03:48:26 PM
The TrackMate software supports as many splits as you care to use where the GPX only supports 6.  I can live with the 6 split limit, but on the G2X I could split every corner so that I knew exactly how fast I was cornering every corner on the track.

CORRECTION:  I already learned something new by eMailing XT Racing.  You can set more splits in the XT Racing software.  I saw the option for a "Split Source File" but could not find any information in the documenation on what it was.  I had concluded that it was for exporting the split setup.
CCS AM #134 - Ducati 848 - www.facebook.com/FullerMoto
2012 CCS Atlantic SuperTwins AM Champion
2012 CCS Mid-Atlantic SuperTwins AM Champion
2012 CCS Summit Point SuperTwins AM Track Champion

Cowboy 6

I use the Starlane Athon and love them. Fred at Yoyodyne ( www.yoyodyneti.com ) has them in stock and will take good care of you.
C6

www.NeedGod.com  ....   www.TPOParts.com  ....   www.Christiansportbike.com.com ....  www.woodcraft-cfm.com ....  www.ebcbrakes.com ....www.baxleycompanies.com