News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Transponder Bracket?

Started by Gino230, February 12, 2012, 09:10:50 AM

Gino230

Is there a bracket that will work for these things?

I have two bikes and with back to back races cutting zip ties is not ideal.

I sprung for one transponder, I'm hoping to avoid having to buy two.....

CCS / ASRA EX # 23
2012 Ducati 848 / 1100 Conversion     2005 Ducati 749RS
2006 CCS Florida Thunderbike Champion (AM)
2008 CCS LW Supersport National Champion (EX) 2nd in 2011 and now  2012....damn you Mavros!

Eric Kelcher

There is no bracket as the attachment points are integral.

This is recommended attachment method.
Find suitable location on fork to mount unit, anywhere along fork leg will work from brake caliper mount, fender mount, top/bottom of fork tube, between triple clamps. Location should be away from other electronics, ABS sensors, Laptimers especially GPS type, cameras etc.
Apply double sticky foam tape to back of unit.
Secure in place with a quality zip tie.

For your application I would recommend getting two of the pouches and mount as above.
FYI going this route you are $20 vs the $80 an additional transponder costs.

A bracket could be fabricated but there is not one made by Westhold.
Eric Kelcher
ASRA/CCS Director of Competition

ride_hard

Why not apply some of the mechanical velcro like everyone uses for lap timers?

Gino230

OK, I'll rig something up myself.

Got to tell you though, performance at Homestead this weekend was....well, let's just say less than ideal. I understand teething problems are expected, but.....
CCS / ASRA EX # 23
2008 CCS LW Supersport National Champion (EX) 2nd in 2011 and now  2012....damn you Mavros!

LoneStar

Quote from: Eric Kelcher on February 12, 2012, 10:50:03 AM

This is recommended attachment method.
Find suitable location on fork to mount unit, anywhere along fork leg will work from brake caliper mount, fender mount, top/bottom of fork tube, between triple clamps. Location should be away from other electronics, ABS sensors, Laptimers especially GPS type, cameras etc.
Apply double sticky foam tape to back of unit.
Secure in place with a quality zip tie.

You say that the transponder needs to be mounted in a location "away" from other electronics. 

How far away are we talking about?  Will you alert the rider of erratic lap timing during practice if things aren't working well?
CCS AM #134 - Ducati 848 - www.facebook.com/FullerMoto
2012 CCS Atlantic SuperTwins AM Champion
2012 CCS Mid-Atlantic SuperTwins AM Champion
2012 CCS Summit Point SuperTwins AM Track Champion

Eric Kelcher

The velcro idea is a good idea, I think maybe a velro cord loop could work too.

I am aware and we are working on couple things one is ampyfying the activator loop signal other is tracking down what may have caused specfic issues. Appears that electronic interference issue may be bluetooth enabled lap timers, other electronics do not seem to be a problem like a bluetooth device is.

Yes we can tell problems during practice if it is bike specific issue we will recomend rider talking with tech to resolve issues.
Eric Kelcher

Eric Kelcher

Quote from: Gino230 on February 12, 2012, 10:40:21 PM
OK, I'll rig something up myself.

Got to tell you though, performance at Homestead this weekend was....well, let's just say less than ideal. I understand teething problems are expected, but.....

Gino, what problem did you have? I want to be sure any problems that popped up over the weekend are addressed either by procedure, mounting or other to insure as flawless and streamlined system possible.
Eric Kelcher

LoneStar

Quote from: Eric Kelcher on February 13, 2012, 01:57:28 PM
I am aware and we are working on couple things one is ampyfying the activator loop signal other is tracking down what may have caused specfic issues. Appears that electronic interference issue may be bluetooth enabled lap timers, other electronics do not seem to be a problem like a bluetooth device is.

Yes we can tell problems during practice if it is bike specific issue we will recomend rider talking with tech to resolve issues.

Sounds good.  Last year I ran one WERA race day and put their transponder on my fork (AMB?).  I had bullet camera and unit and GPS/Data Logger in the front fairing and an antenna just on the dash shroud under the windscreen.  No problems. 

BTW, has a solution for posting lap times been decided on (e.g., MyLaps.com)?
CCS AM #134 - Ducati 848 - www.facebook.com/FullerMoto
2012 CCS Atlantic SuperTwins AM Champion
2012 CCS Mid-Atlantic SuperTwins AM Champion
2012 CCS Summit Point SuperTwins AM Track Champion

Gino230

Eric,

I didn't have a transponder problem, but I have the endurance model so it pretty much stayed on once activated all day. The other guys in my pit were having trouble as the transponder would not turn on leaving pit out- no matter how slowly they rode by. Kevin Elliot was standing right there fiddling with the thing so I'm sure he knows better than I do what the issue may have been.

There were some other minor scoring issues, but I think that had to do with the new software they are using in CCS FL, it was having a few teething issues.
CCS / ASRA EX # 23

Eric Kelcher

Gino, you don't have an endurance model as we did not have any shipped to Homestead. If you will be running TC races conntact me at the office so we can get that swapped out.
Eric Kelcher

roadracer162

Gino,

I had no problems with my transponder even going from bike to bike. I am using the pouches on either bike located on the right fork leg between the top and bottom triple. it works well and never missed a beat in running. the issue the others may have had is the ECU mounted up front?

Mark
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22
Mark Tenn Motorsports, Michelin tire guy in Florida.

Gino230

Good question, I don't know where their ecu's are located.

I don't need the endurance model, I just figured what the heck when I ordered it.

We'll see when I put the transponder on the 749, that thing has like 5 electronic boxes and 1000' of cable in the nose.

Combined with the new software the whole package is a great improvement....CCS is getting close to the 20th century baby!
CCS / ASRA EX # 23