News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Heartland Park Topeka

Started by alocker, January 08, 2012, 07:58:24 PM

alocker

I know its early, but we are officially over the MW off season hump. 

I was just curious about HPT since I have never been there and there is not a whole lot of info about it. 

I have been told a few things about it.
-Its a fun track
-Its in the middle of nowhere
-Its windy and usually r&!ns part of the weekend

Any other info would be great but there are a few things in particular i'm interested in.
-How difficult is it to learn?
-It it easy or hard on tires?
-Recommended gearing for GSXR-1000?
-Lodging/food recommendations?

Thanks!
MW AM #454

jigs

Yeah...fun track....not super difficult to learn,but to fast,especially againts locals..nother' story...first time there I rode great ...5 podiums...secpnd time there,suckin' hind teet...couldn't get the poop in a group..that kind of track,for me at least...Alpha will get your attention..after a long/fast straight,there's a riser...then T-1...lotta late apex corners..get some vid and check it out....also,bring a radiator guard,little stones and what not get blown in and I know of 3-4 radiator issues last year...gearing,not sure for a GIXXER..we'll be there!!

gkotlin

HPT is one of my favorite tracks to race.  For some reason I seem to go well there.  I've been there a number of times, so I can't say how difficult it is to learn.  You're not likely to come out your first weekend and expect to be one of the top guys in a few practices.  If there is a team challenge, that's your best bet to learn it.  It has a few pavement irregularities that should be noted, but nothing super treacherous. The carousel is fabulous.  There are blind corners, but they're not terrible.  The back section from the back straight to the front straight is a great over taking area. 

Drop me a message if you want to talk about it more in detail.
Greg K.
CCS MW Expert # 12
2000 SV 650 - 1989 FZR 400
Vinylsaurusrex.com - Cyclepath Racing - Safety First Racing - STT

truckstop

I thought it was easy to learn. IIRC there's a kind of pit in T4 that is sometimes marked and has claimed a couple bikes.

It is fun, it is kind of in the middle of nowhere, and both times I've been there, we had pretty awesome thunderstorms and tornado warnings. It is Kansas after all. Getting and/or sharing a garage is recommended when the weather goes sideways (literally).

It's really not that far outside Topeka, which is a decent sized city with some food and lodging options. I think you can also camp at the track, and the facilities are decent.

gonecrazy

front half is fast a flowing,secound half is slower and more tech.

alocker

Thanks for the info.  I'm excited to ride on a counter-clockwise track.  It also looks pretty wide compared to Blackhawk.  I saw people taking a bunch of different lines in the vids.

Are the pits really spread out?  I'm curious if I should bring the bikes or not.
MW AM #454

Burt Munro

Pit areas are pretty spread out - much more so than Blackhawk. It can be quite a hike to the bathrooms and showers - depending on where you pit.
Founding member of the 10,000+ smite club.  Ask me how you can join!

gkotlin

Definitely bring a pitbike.  It feels like the showers are Nebraska when you pit on the lower paddock by the bleachers. 
Greg K.
CCS MW Expert # 12
2000 SV 650 - 1989 FZR 400
Vinylsaurusrex.com - Cyclepath Racing - Safety First Racing - STT

vale46

Make sure you throw a snow shovel in your trailer and a pair of studded race tires. Racing in the end of March does not excite me.
CCS #58
2008 Sponsors Burke Engineering, Lithium Motorsports, Monster Energy, Iowa City Motorsports, Vortex,  Leo Vince
Lockhart Phillips, Pirelli

alocker

I hear ya but I'm crossing my fingers that the winter continues the way it has. 

Has anyone rented a garage there?  Was it worth it?
MW AM #454

grasslander

Quote from: alocker on February 07, 2012, 08:23:17 PM

Yes and Yes.  Especially in March.  Easy to put 4-6 bikes in the garage so look for a share...
CCS #413 CMRA #413
G-Baby Racing Endurance Team
2013 ASRA Team Challenge GTL National Champions
2015 US National Endurance Series LW National Champions

steve p

Quote from: alocker on February 07, 2012, 08:23:17 PM
I hear ya but I'm crossing my fingers that the winter continues the way it has. 

Seriously, if you only do one thing, rent a garage.  Every year I've been there the weather has been interesting.  Rain, hail, wind, lightning, rain, more wind and a little sun.  All in one day.  :)
Steve Palella
MW #32
2002 Aprilia RSVR Mille