News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

2012 Ultralightweight Thunderbike?

Started by diamond, January 05, 2012, 07:54:12 AM

MAZZ77X

This class was introduced in what, April of last year when everyone had already commited there resources elsewere.

Give it time and it will grow, it has in every other region. Open the flood gates and it will just fade away.

My son will be on the grid this season on a spec legal Ninja 250. What better way for him to develop his race craft than racing with other racers on identical equipment.

twilkinson3

I was one of the midwest maybes - spec class ninja racing looked like fun...not a money pit in terms of mods to stay competitive etc etc, I'm probably not going to make the grid for the 250s this year (Lightweight bike needed a motor refreshed) so the budget isn't there to build out another race bike in 2012, but I too would much prefer a stock class for the 250s not another builder class arms race one

roadracer162

am not competing on this class but I am willing to offer my two cents if you want to listen.

1) Why not have a gentleman's agreement not to build the bike beyond supersport rules? Yes, I am sure one person might just do that but would the rest of you stop racing the class?

2) If you can show commitment from potential riders that the class would be bigger than it is currently with a change back to SuperStock type rules, maybe CCS will consider changing the rules back.

Mark
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22
Mark Tenn Motorsports, Michelin tire guy in Florida.

NJ MiniGP

Stay strong CCS.  Dont let the industry tell you how to structure your classes.  Tell the industry how you plan to do it.  This class is absolutely the direction all racing needs to go.  Bone stock, cheap racing.  Anything else turns riders away.  I for one have no interest in racing right next to an R6 with 127hp so I just wont race that class.  I do however have interest in this super fun 250 class but not if I find myself in the same situation lining up against a ninja with 40hp when stock they make about 22hp.  what's the point.  Racing entries are not down because people are losing interest in racing.  They are down because it costs too damn much money to have a relevant machine. 

bruce71198

From the first post last season, concerning this class, everyone was in favor of the original class structure ! All positive, this is what the racers were in favor of.
Can those of you racing this class hold yourselve to super sport rules? I have already prepped 2 bikes to last years rules. $4.95 for an air box on Ebay...outragious!

Jiggyfly

Quote from: NJ MiniGP on February 15, 2012, 01:27:41 PM
Stay strong CCS.  Dont let the industry tell you how to structure your classes.  Tell the industry how you plan to do it.  This class is absolutely the direction all racing needs to go.  Bone stock, cheap racing.  Anything else turns riders away.  I for one have no interest in racing right next to an R6 with 127hp so I just wont race that class.  I do however have interest in this super fun 250 class but not if I find myself in the same situation lining up against a ninja with 40hp when stock they make about 22hp.  what's the point.  Racing entries are not down because people are losing interest in racing.  They are down because it costs too damn much money to have a relevant machine.

If you actually read the posts.....were lobbying FORa stock class, & CCS made the rules for allowing UNLIMITED mods as long as you stay 250cc's

CHIRINOM

Miguel Chirino
SPECCLASSRACING.com

CHIRINOM

Quote from: bruce71198 on February 13, 2012, 03:10:39 PM
Found this in a news release from 2011
ULTRALIGHT THUNDERBIKE TO BE INTRODUCED AT NEW JERSEY
May 4, 2011 - A new class has been created by the Championship Cup Series and will be introduced for the first time at New Jersey Motorsports Park, May 13-15, 2011. Ultralight Thunderbike, a specialized class, will be offered at limited CCS events this season: all 4 New Jersey events, all 3 Summit Point events and the two events at VIR.
"Ultralight ThunderBike is basically a SuperSport 250s class for bikes such as the Ninja and Honda 250, which aren't as competitive in other classes." said Kevin Elliott, owner of the Championship Cup Series. "Single & Twin cylinder liquid-cooled engines up to 250cc as well as Twin Cylinder air-cooled 350cc machines qualify for this class. Although some restrictions apply, bikes must be completely stock OEM for the most part and run street tires."
Riders can enter the Ultralight ThunderBike class at the track using a special post-entry form.
Interested racers are encouraged to read the Ultralight ThunderBike section in the 2011 Rulebook, Addendum 3, pages 55-56, which includes all of the technical information for the class including which bikes qualify and the modifications allowed.

What the hell happened ? Kevin ?

I agree! This is a severe let down.  A 250 class based around Super Sport rules is what was stated on the press release initially. The rules should be amended to correspond with that statement.
Miguel Chirino
SPECCLASSRACING.com

Cab305

I just got my CCS certification this weekend, solely for the 250 Spec class. Learned to ride last year just to do this.
Sadly unforeseen financial issues kept me off the grid on opening day, will be there for the next one.

As a novice I can personally tell you, this class is very attractive as an affordable, slower way to get into the sport.... only if it stays spec that is. I don't have a budget that will allow me to be competitive if this goes arms-race. This is the only bike I can afford to run, even in spec form.

So my two cents, keep it spec, I'm proof that it will grow in popularity.

vance

Just wow...

I know nobody gives a shit, but my slow ass turned laps 3.5 seconds off the winner's pace last weekend.  Last time I was on a 600 at Homestead it was, oh I don't know.... 15 seconds or so off lead pace???
So the point is, at the end of the race, the leader was at least in freakin' site of my average ass and it felt good.  That bike is going to sit in the garage AS IS and the things I need to get faster don't involve $$$$.  After racing a 1000, 600, 125, ex500 and now the 250, there's no better bike for an average rider looking to have fun and still FEEL like there's a chance to hang with the guys winning.  I don't know how to "build" a bike, but that was one less thing I needed to be concerned with.
How many threads are here that start off:  "New to racing and wondering what bike to get.."  The response?  "SV and LEARN TO RIDE.  Don't sink a bunch of money into a bike, bla bla...."
What's it cost to put an SV on top of the podium?
What's it cost to put an ex250 on top of the podium?

As far as limited participation.....
I don't know the first thing about how to build a class and get guys to the grid.  I only know why I chose to race the 250 and this news is disappointing.

I'm currently in the process of building 2 ex250's, one for me and one for my wife, at least mine will be ready for next round @ Roebling, and these are bad news, I was counting on being competitive running bone stock bikes and this was the reason we decided to do it.
CCS office,
I think here you can see it pretty clearly, all of us want a spec class, or the least mods allowed, like in most other organizations.

Jiggyfly

No......we ACTUALLY DO give a shit!!!!