News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Hustler Grenades

Started by K3 Chris Onwiler, April 28, 2003, 03:41:16 AM

K3 Chris Onwiler

My team mate Joe and I sure didn't have the best of luck at Road America.  By 10:00 Sunday night, I had performed an autopsy on both bikes.  With my cylinder head turned upside down on the workbench, gasoline poured into the combustion chambers leaks out the intake ports.  The valves are maybe burnt, or more likely I tapped them on the pistons by overrevving on a downshift.
When Joe pulled off his carbs, the #1 intake port was full of aluminum.  We never went further than that, but my guess is that a valve head came clean off and destroyed the piston.  Expensive weekend...
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

MightyDuc Racing

That sucks...sorry to hear it. :(
MightyDuc Racing
CCS AM #944 - Florida Region
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:
Tomahawk Tires, Dunlop, AGV, Superbikes & Ski, SW Medical Supply, BCM

Jeff

:'(  waaaaaahhhhhh  :'(

:-/ I was in about the same boat, but maybe a little more work...

Friday I was running good times and getting better until I started losing 2nd gear.  We pulled the motor on Fri night, drove back to Sussex (3hr round trip), replaced 2nd gear, and got most of it back together by 2:30am.  Finished getting the rest back together on Sat AM.

Ran 2 races on Sat just fine, then blew it up on Sunday....  Still shifts great!  But something decided it no longer wanted to be inside the case, so it punched its way out  :o

Topped out in 5th gear on the straight, just shifted to 6th and blowing a motor...  Pretty freaky, but at least it didn't spew, and I managed to remain in control until it stopped...

One thing which did kinda suck though was that the corner workers in turn 1 took about 3 minutes to get an extinguisher to put out the fire on it since they didn't have a bottle handy  ???  :-/ WTF is with that?!?!

Oh well, it makes my decisions much easier on whether to support 2 bikes or just one...

(and that whole waaaah thing was just in jest.  you know  it's done outta love  :-* )
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

MightyDuc Racing

You mean something other than a Duc can blow an engine?  I was told about a THOUSAND times that if I wasn't racing a Duc, I would never have had that problem.  Terribly sorry to hear about it Jeff...I know your pain.  Good luck getting everything back together.  Again, sorry to hear it, man. :(
MightyDuc Racing
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:

Zippy

Sorry to hear about your motor(s).  You knew something was pretty wrong on Sunday, and even Saturday, didn't you?  I saw you shaking your head as you headed down the front straight, and also on Sat. coming out of three, where I was corner working.

Good luck to ya.

Jeff

QuoteSorry to hear about your motor(s).  You knew something was pretty wrong on Sunday, and even Saturday, didn't you?  I saw you shaking your head as you headed down the front straight, and also on Sat. coming out of three, where I was corner working.

Good luck to ya.

Yeah...  When I lost 2nd gear, and had to go through corners in 3rd, I was P1SSED, and was beating on the gas tank and shaking my head in frustration.  It was about that time that I wanted to install pedals  :)

On Sunday I had no indication until it lost all power and started violently shaking right about the start/finish line.

As for the motor, comparing it to a duc? well, I'm pretty sure it's something I induced in my sleep deprived stupor of trying to get it back together with one eye open.  Won't know for sure until I perform the autopsy.

As for the rest of the bike?  Well, it just became an addition to the RR fund which I should have this week...
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

Protein Filled

Hey K3, I see the sugar in the gas tank trick works well after all!!!

;D ;D ;D

At least know you know why everyone was blowing by you on the straights.

Edgar Dorn #81 - Numbskullz Racing, Mason Racin Tires, Michelin, Lithium Motorsports

Don't give up on your dreams! If an illiterate like K3 can write a book, imagine what you can do!

Dawn

Chris:

Your race weekend just sucked in regards to you bikes. One positive though....  none of you guys crashed.  

That's a positive in my book.

Dawn   ;)

Chef

AND if i didnt learn but one thing from the HUSTLER CREW...
it's getting back on the track...

Chin up....!

and oh, think about how i coulda used that 2nd place gtu money, lost the shift lever!!!
well, it's a part of racing. i was truly glad not to fall, and for you guys (esp that other honda guy JEFF) NOT TO FALL!

gives us more determination to get back at em   (if theres room for any MORE)

hey, good thing we got alot more summer to make up for it!!!

Ike
40. Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate, but powerful beyond measure. We were all meant to shine, as children do. When our light shines, we liberate others.

K3 Chris Onwiler

QuoteHey K3, I see the sugar in the gas tank trick works well after all!!!

;D ;D ;D
QuoteThat's what I figured.  At least now I don't feel so bad about loosening up your head bolts at Daytona!
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

Protein Filled

:o :o :o
Good one!

Well, I was just trying to get you some caramelized pistons for lunch! ;D
Edgar Dorn #81 - Numbskullz Racing, Mason Racin Tires, Michelin, Lithium Motorsports

Don't give up on your dreams! If an illiterate like K3 can write a book, imagine what you can do!

MightyDuc Racing

Man you guys are brutal! :o  Is this what happens when you turn expert? ;D
MightyDuc Racing
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors: