By trying to force northern racers to fill low turnout SE races CCS hurts itself

Started by zman, November 30, 2011, 05:42:16 PM

zman

The Southeast doesn't seem to have much interest racing at tracks like CMP. Do you really think a large turnout is going to come from the Atlantic region to fill the event?

The Atlantic has been a pretty decent turnout region. By keeping the races centralized it has kept racers on a budget interested in running the whole series for championship potential. I went to Louden this year and there were less than 10 Atlantic guys there. I have been to CMP and the turnout is abysmal.

What happens is a handful of guys will go down there and marginally add to the event. Then the other 600 racers who don't go to these two tracks have a much lower chance of winning a championship and just run a handful of races and don't sign up unless the weather is going to be  nice. This hurts the turn out at more popular tracks that are actually in the region and hurt contingency and ccs's income.

By adding 10 racers to CMP and Loudon you hurt the turnout for all Atlantic region events for both racers and your bottom line.

David Zylberberg

HappySV

I will say that as a guy who lives in Philly (NJMP and SP racer) on a very tight budget there is no way I can run the Atlantic series as scheduled.  Between that, the NJMP insane fees, and the stupid builder-class lightweight rules this might be a great time to go try WERA.

I will also confirm that I raced a lot more than I should have last year because I was chasing points.  If there's no reason to continue chasing points because I get taken out of the running by not being able to afford CMP and Loudon then screw it.

Actually - thank you to CCS.  You just saved me a ton of cash next summer.  I'm going minisupermoto racing.

Brian
757 Am

gixxerzoli

Agree with you Dave and Brian! Im on the tight budget too. Also i never been on Roebling and only once at CMP. So if i want to chase points i have absolutely no chance. Im stick with Summit and NJMP and maybe one VIR. Let the regions are be a region! Dont mix them......PLEASE!

Z-man

I just called the CCS office and spoke to Kevin, he disagrees and feels that only a handful of guys run the whole series regardless of the distance of events.
CCS #79 EX

2007 Sponsors
Speedwerks, Team Pro-Motion, Martinmoto.com, Turner Landscaping, CTR, Redline Motorsports, Oxtar, Pirelli, Amsoil, LP, Vortex

HappySV

If that was true then why add it as a double points round at the beginning of the season when people are most flush with cash?  In Atlantic, if you skip that CMP round you're in a massive hole to start the season by missing a double points round. 

I know a lot of people showed up in Hurricane Irene to race at Summit and it wasn't only for the joy of racing with a "Storm of the Century" bearing down on them. 

SVbadguy

Quote from: Z-man on December 01, 2011, 10:26:34 AM
I just called the CCS office and spoke to Kevin, he disagrees and feels that only a handful of guys run the whole series regardless of the distance of events.

That's sort of correct.  But I think there are a lot more guys that don't run the whole series BECAUSE of the distance.

When I was making a serious go at championships distance wasn't an issue.  Nowadays there some tracks that I just don't have a desire to ride at like Summit Pt even though it's only 45 minutes away.
Mid-Atlantic Region 
MARRC Exec Committee at-large & Radio Committee Chair

apriliaman

Now in the atlantic has CMP ,Humm how far is it to Loudon? Almost 1000 miles!! Between the tracks. That is a long way.
Winner of at least 50 CCS Lightweight Regional Championships
3 National Championships
Top 10 plate holder since 2006

CLAYE46

Roughly 28 hours in the truck from Long Island NY to Kershaw SC and back. Three practice sessions and five races over the weekend, something like 3 hours of track time. It just don't add up.

DougG60

same here 1300mi round trip and im in for the championship fight but thats a bit much to ask. maybe we can get a gentleman's agreement to skip that round for those running the entire season
EX101 Ducati 848

SVbadguy

What if the championship was based your best 9 out of the 11 (since there are 3 twin sprint weekends) rounds?

That would make it easier for the northern guys to skip Carolina and the southern guys could skip Loudon.
Mid-Atlantic Region 
MARRC Exec Committee at-large & Radio Committee Chair

apriliaman

3 National Championships

fzr400tony

Quote from: Z-man on December 01, 2011, 10:26:34 AM

If the Atlantic region consisted of four weekends at NJMP and four weekends at Summit, with a double-header thrown in; I'm pretty sure I would be able to race all of those events (assuming they spaced them apart enough).

VIR, CMP and Loudon are just too far to go. The last time I raced at Loudon (I live just about in between Loudon and VIR) I got home at around 5:00 am. It involves two vacation days, since I have to leave Friday morning to not be wiped out on race day and after Sunday races and another eight hours home, I can't see straight Monday morning.

I think the thing that Kevin doesn't realize is that as racers, the older we get, the more we can afford to participate in the sport. That said, the older we get the harder it is to drive all night after racing. I'd love to go Loudon or VIR again. For me, there are safety (falling asleep behind the wheel), cost and time issues with traveling that far.

proechel539

I think they should add a couple Jersey rounds to the Florida schedule so everyone gets screwed equally!
Darrell Proechel
CCS Ex # 76
02 SV-650, 06 GSXR750
proechel1@comcast.net

catman

Hey Darrell - just stopped in here and wanted to say HI! Hope alls well, I am working hard to create a  National Doctor Energy Smart ® Dealership Program being launched in 2013! I miss the riding but enjoy the many large successes found in my work. I hope to re-consider the sport when I can, travel is definately a consideration that costs alot, so this subject is an important one for those struggling to stay competitive in point tallying. Stay safe, It was good to meet you at njmp in one of my last visits there. John

Wes07

It's a 15 drive for me to get to CMP. Theres absolutely no way I can make it. I can't even do Summit which is a 9 hour drive for me. This means i can run 4 weekends this year, so basically. I'm not even in the running for championships which really sucks cause I won 7 last year and wanted to win more this year.. I really don't understand why CMP was added to our series. I wouldn't complain so much, but now we have 1 less NJ round, and with AMA I'm down to 2 jersey Rounds and a LRRS round. Damn.
Wes Perry Ex. 352
Winner of 7 Championships in 2011
Sunwood Builders - Wayfair - Vortex - Dunlop - Motul

apriliaman

I live near DC and this is the time to the tracks for me.
njmp-2.5hrs
summit-1.5hrs
vir 4.5hrs
cpm-7.5
roebling-9.5hrs
barber-11.5hrs
jennings 14hrs
daytona 14hrs
3 National Championships

Gino230

Guess we shouldn't complain, but we're the FL series for god sakes and we have two rounds in GA?
CCS / ASRA EX # 23
2012 Ducati 848 / 1100 Conversion     2005 Ducati 749RS
2006 CCS Florida Thunderbike Champion (AM)
2008 CCS LW Supersport National Champion (EX) 2nd in 2011 and now  2012....damn you Mavros!

Z-man

Quote from: Gino230 on December 12, 2011, 09:46:02 PM
Guess we shouldn't complain, but we're the FL series for god sakes and we have two rounds in GA?

Gino,

It is the same thing.  Rather than making the 40 racers in the Southeast travel the 14 hours to get to NJMP, CCS is making the more popular regions supplement the weak. 

No disrespect to the Southeast but if that region can't get enough racers to the track to sustain on their own, cancel those races and let the SE guys travel to Florida or to Loudon to race.  In my opinion that is way more fair then making everyone else suffer to fill those events.
CCS #79 EX

2007 Sponsors
Speedwerks, Team Pro-Motion, Martinmoto.com, Turner Landscaping, CTR, Redline Motorsports, Oxtar, Pirelli, Amsoil, LP, Vortex

metricdevilmoto

It's disappointing to see that no one from CCS has addressed these very valid points ...
Mike Faillace, #610 AM
Metric Devil Moto, Team Pro-Motion, Penske, DesignStar3, Pirelli, Full Spectrum Power, Heroic Racing Apparel

fzr400tony

Quote from: metricdevilmoto on December 17, 2011, 05:26:35 PM
It's disappointing to see that no one from CCS has addressed these very valid points ...

I'm a CCS fan and generally think highly of the CCS staff, but I agree with you on this one.

Eric Kelcher

Quote from: metricdevilmoto on December 17, 2011, 05:26:35 PM

Quote from: fzr400tony on December 18, 2011, 02:27:03 AM
I'm a CCS fan and generally think highly of the CCS staff, but I agree with you on this one.

FYI Z-Man talked with Kevin and put answer up on the 1st. Kevin very rarely gets on here (it is unofficial  board for a reason, office staff spend time/money organizing and insuring safety at the races as primary focus not PR)and I won't see him before next year to ask him.
Eric Kelcher
ASRA/CCS Director of Competition