News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Ultra LW thunderbike / Ninja 250 class Mid West region?

Started by vanillagorrilla, November 12, 2011, 10:47:58 AM

Jiggyfly

ULWTB is alive and well!

I was in the previously mentioned race!
2010 Ninja 250.....& it was the most fun I've had racing in a long,
long time! I strongly encourage any & all to jump in! CCS won't be able to ignore the numbers, & eventually I'd guess another class could be added! Even if it's on the back of another grid.....if the races are as small in 2012 as they were this last season, & 12-15 ninja 250's show up, it could easily be the largest grid of the weekend!

Why not a ULWTB GT race?!?! Toss it on the back of whatever grid you want.....if CCS wants more entry fees, we'll be bringing the bikes, & we can afford more entries because our bikes cost less than a good shock for a 600, we can't do engine mods, & tires last us 3+ weekends!!!! So we have more cash!  :biggrin:

& Bruce, I'm totally with you; 9 bikes in a 1 car garage.....at one point my wife came on there, looked at a Ducati 900ss & says "where did that come.......oh never mind!....like I could tell anyways!"

I laughed for the next 5 minutes with an evil grin on my face! Lol
The IMPORTANT thing to do here is a "universal" set of "Ninja 250 cup" style rules, so no
one goes and does engine mods while the rest of us DON'T!

yeroc40

You guys just need to get better at herding them so it's not so obvious how many there are at any given time.  :biggrin:

I agree on the rules needing to be uniform, but please don't exclude anyone from running.  I don't care if I ever win a thing so I am taking the least expensive route to have fun.  If that means I have to grind down a pivot in violation of rule X.6.Y.b so be it.  That being said my bike is 18yo, it can decide for itself if I am violating it or not.

Jiggyfly

Agreed! The rules need not be ridiculous, just clear.

NO engine mods or "improvements" of any type!
No degreeing cams, valve seats, head work, high compression, lightening, etc.
DON'T EVEN OPEN THE ENGINE UP! (except for valve adjustments)
Jet it, stock airbox required, exhaust of your choice, no total loss, shock OYC, mod fork internals, clip ons, rearsets,
1st gen bikes can use late model EX250 wheels, stock master cylinder, braided lines & brake pads OYC, bodywork OYC, (although WERA is VERY strict on the bodywork thing).......

mostly, just don't be "that guy" about it.
If you feel it will give you some advantage over the field, don't do it!
Let your riding be what beats all the guys that finish behind you.

The minute someone shows up with flat slides & cams, the class is ruined!

I'm trying to get the rules amended to reflect this.

Capitalview

I just bought a quick change adapter and a couple of sprockets from Jiggyfly about a week ago.  He pretty much talked me into getting into the ULW class.  I just recently got back into riding on the track after being gone for almost 20 years.

While track days are fun, they aren't racing.  I am now looking for a Ninja 250 to turn into a track bike.  The biggest reason I am looking at this class is because I want to stay on a budget.  I don't want to worry about engine mods and not having the money to be competitive.

I even got permission from the wife to do it!

Now all I need to do is lose 30 lbs and sell my track bike.  I have been given a 2 bike limit... :wah:

Anyone want to buy a 99 CBR 600?  :)

roadracer162

So with all this limitation are we going to have a minimum weight?  ..and who would provide the scale?

Certainly the big guys are going to be at a serious disadvantage, not that I am huge or anything but it seems many are smaller than me.

Mark
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22
Mark Tenn Motorsports, Michelin tire guy in Florida.

roadracer162

Ive got a bathroom scale that could be used, and I can hand out some bricks to weight you down.
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22

CHIRINOM

Any racing class we get into has this issue. Just because there are  big guys doesn't necessarily mean that they automatically have more of a budget to build a motor.

Stay of the carbs (no beer, eat wheat everything) and run like a mad man. He will be just fine ;)

Having said that, FLAMRA and SEMRA have a spec 125cc mini class that they separate into two classes 194- and 195+. Granted I weigh 165 and had to race against a 110 and 125lb riders. In the end though it has been some of the best racing I have done and is one of the reasons that I am so interested in seeing this class grow. Maybe if grids are large enough we can propose something like this?
Miguel Chirino
SPECCLASSRACING.com

Jiggyfly

Me, Vanilla Gorilla & Yeroc all raced NWGP for the last 6+ years, & we too did the spec bike class, with 2 weight classes.
I doubt it will ever happen on any big bike club level, though. AFAIK, it's never been done before.

Jiggyfly

Capitalview- welcome to the circus, Jeff!
Also check out Northwoodsgp.com

There's going to be a ninja 250 class there as well. It's all Wisconsin & northern Illinois tracks, with LOTS of track time & low costs. They won't help you with the weight loss/no beer thing, though!  :biggrin:

CHIRINOM

I hear that there are ignition boxes going around that allow these bikes, to rev higher. May want to address this in the regs as well?
Miguel Chirino
SPECCLASSRACING.com

Jiggyfly

Yeah, their out there.....that's the cool thing about these, is that pretty much any "advancements" or mod info is readily available.

1st gen CDI's give 1-2 more hp, but require a full harness swap. If its worth it to you.....then I guess!!!!
$3000 in titanium fasteners & a 250 could be pretty light......again; if someone wants to get stupid like that!

:biggrin:

roadracer162

Miguel- I hear you on the weight of the rider in any class but it does make a difference in the lighter weights and not so much in the larger bikes. With only 25 hp for a 250 it certainly is a factor causing the larger guy to override just to keep up. In comparison on a 180hp bike the weight difference is to as much a factor if any at all.

Mark
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22