CCS Helmet rule 5.1.1

Started by jhackett, October 19, 2011, 12:32:19 PM

jhackett

Found this out after tech inspection at VIR : According to the rule book, any helmet with the snell M2005 sticker (regardless of date of manufacture) is only valid till end of 2011.  Dont understand why this rule is so different from other race org's (ie WERA) which state helmets must be no older than 5 yrs post manufacture date and carry a '00-'10 Snell label.
Question has been posted to the rule book officials, but thought I'd post it here too for feedback.

Woofentino Pugrossi

It varies with each org. AMA also requires '10 much like CCS. I would be surprised if WERA requires '10 starting next year. SCCA allows one standard back from the current.
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

vnvbandit

I would like see a change to a 5 year max manufacture date. As worded in the 2011 Rule Book, no more snell 2005 helmets. Which means a 2 year old manufacture date "NEW helmet" is DQ'd. 
~Brian
CCS FL 68
ASRA 68
Thanks
Nancy&Patrick

Rick Johnson 29

It would be nice to see a rule change on the 2005 snell. I have 3 helmets that are in great shape with the 2005 snell. 1 is brand new.
Rick Johnson
Expert 29, ASRA 291, Wera 29
2011 SE Unlimited SS Champ                                                               
2011 2nd MA GTO,UnlimitedSB,SS,GP                                                   08 Suzuki GSXR 1000

Cowboy 6

I agree that the rule should include one Snell date back from the latest regardless of MFG date.

It seems to me that these types of rules are instituted in good faith but are based on "studies" designed to sell helmets. Styrofoam that won't degrade in a landfill for 1,000 years is suddenly so sensitive when money is involved.
C6

www.NeedGod.com  ....   www.TPOParts.com  ....   www.Christiansportbike.com.com ....  www.woodcraft-cfm.com ....  www.ebcbrakes.com ....www.baxleycompanies.com

apriliaman

now i got to buy 2 new helmets and thats alot of $$ for me at $800 each.I don't get el chepos $200 ones.
Winner of at least 50 CCS Lightweight Regional Championships
3 National Championships
Top 10 plate holder since 2006

Gixxerblade

That's silly. The rules do state that buy it also mentions that M2011 is good also. There's no such thing as M2011. M2005 just means it was built to M2005 standards, not that it was made in 2005. Someone needs to inform the rule makers. I am not going to buy another $800 helmet (built in 2009 - built to M2005 standards) because of some silly rule.

vnvbandit

I like the Shoei RF1000 helmet.............. It fits perfect. It's quiet, gives me confidence that it'll save my noggin. I tried others, HJC too noisy & felt cheap, Arai doesn't fit me.  Shoei doesn't make the RF1000 anymore, BUT I have a brand new RF 1000, Snell 2005, Manufactured Dec. 24, 08 in a box at the house.
~Brian
CCS FL 68
ASRA 68
Thanks
Nancy&Patrick

Super Dave

I don't have a rule book around, but there are certainly opportunities for buying helmets with the EU and/or DOT standards too. 
Super Dave

jhackett

not sure if the window of opportunity for voicing rule changes has closed, though I already emailed the powers that be to consider changing the "M2011" rule before the Oct 21 deadline.  It may still be beneficial to send email to  info@ccsracing.us to affect some change.  Hopefully the moderators of the rule change group also look at the postings in this forum.  We'll see I guess.

vnvbandit

I emailed the office about a month ago to change this rule to 5 years vice snell rating.
~Brian
CCS FL 68
ASRA 68
Thanks
Nancy&Patrick

Woofentino Pugrossi

Quote from: Super Dave on October 23, 2011, 12:37:52 PM
I don't have a rule book around, but there are certainly opportunities for buying helmets with the EU and/or DOT standards too. 

Here ya go Dave. Heres the paragraph right out of the rulebook.

5.1.1 Undamaged full-face helmet with face shield and bearing a stamp of
approval from one of the following international standards:
Snell M2005 and M2011 (USA)
(Snell M2005 will remain valid thru 2011)
BS. 6658 TYPE. A (GREAT - BRITAIN)
ECE 22 - 04 & ECE 22 - 05 "P" (EUROPE)
JIS 8133:2000 / JIS 8133:2007 (JAPAN)
(JIS 8133:2000 will remain valid thru 2011).
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod