News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Introduction..

Started by Pistol Pete, July 28, 2011, 03:23:16 PM

Pistol Pete

Hey everyone.  I'm new here to the forum and racing in general.  Currently my 04 gsxr 600 is set up for the street but I'm slowly looking to change that.  Right now I'm pretty slow -no where near a race pace- but I continue to learn and maybe next year I'll have a supersport bike to compete with.  My best time was a 1:52.xx at Mid America Motorplex. 

I can't say how much I'll contribute, mostly I'll just lurk and learn.   :thumb:

Oh, and if anyone has any pointers or suggestions as to the best way to get into racing, I'm all ears. 

Thanks,
Pete

SoudersD

Personally, I think trackdays are a great, cost effective way to get seat time on the track to prepare yourself for racing.
Dave Souders
CCS AM #412 / TPM Blue
'06 SV650

IFMracing

My suggestion is to read through the rule book, and take a Learning Curves License Clinic.

You don't have to race after getting your license, but you will have the knowledge and insight from the class, some additional track time and you will be at the races where you can take it all in, talk with other racers and generally have a good time.

That will get you a good idea of what a race day entails and if it's something you want to do.
GP AM CCS #28 ASRA #128
I.F.M. Racing

GSXR RACER MIKE

Make sure and attend any CCS races you can get to between now and then.

Spectating actual races and talking with the Racers can really help you to see what it's like from the Racers point of view. Most Racers are pretty easy to approach if you want to talk to them about their racing or how to get involved yourself, just make sure not to bother them if their in a hurry to get something done or suiting up for their next race.

Welcome to the Forum!  :thumb:
Smites are a cowards way of feeling brave!   :jerkoff:
Mike Williams - 2 GSXR 750's
Former MW Region Expert #58
Racing exclusively with CCS since '96

nafterclifen

No need to invest in a SuperSport bike. The 04 GSXR 600 can still win races even without opening the motor. Parts for the bike are cheap so start picking up stuff now.

Pistol Pete

Quote from: GSXR RACER MIKE on July 29, 2011, 06:12:14 PM
Make sure and attend any CCS races you can get to between now and then.

Spectating actual races and talking with the Racers can really help you to see what it's like from the Racers point of view. Most Racers are pretty easy to approach if you want to talk to them about their racing or how to get involved yourself, just make sure not to bother them if their in a hurry to get something done or suiting up for their next race.

Welcome to the Forum!  :thumb:

Thanks, that's really good advice.

As for the supersport class, I was unaware of any other class to compete in.  I'll have to read through the rule book more thoroughly.  All I have right now is a Penske triple rear shock and was looking to do little things like a yamaha master cylinder, braided lines, etc.

thanks for the welcome :)   

SoudersD

Classes for your bike include:
- Middleweight Supersport
- Middleweight Superbike
- Middleweight GP
- Heavyweight Supersport
- Heavyweight Superbike
- Heavyweight GP
- Unlimited Supersport
- Unlimited Superbike
- Unlimited GP
- GTU
- GTO

Middleweight-class bikes are actually very competitive in Heavyweight and Unlimited, especially as an Amateur.

GTU and GTO are 25 minute races instead of 7 lap sprints like the others. They usually end up being approximately double the length of a sprint.
Dave Souders
CCS AM #412 / TPM Blue
'06 SV650

Woofentino Pugrossi

And if you really want to see racing up close before you actually grid up, sign up to cornerwork for a weekend. You'll get some insight as to how the cornerworkers do things and see some interesting lines.
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod