News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

aprilia sxv550, what class and rules?

Started by sami888, July 25, 2011, 12:11:26 AM

sami888

hey guys,

i own a race sxv550, the bike is fully set up and i am ready to race it with ccs (starting next weekend on homestead)

now i have couple of questions.

for wire safetly what is really required on these bikes. the oil drain plugs are almost impossible to safety wire, so is it important.

for the race #, do i have to have a yellow back.

what classes can i run this bike and be competitive

thanks

SoudersD

I am not a CCS official, so take the following with a grain of salt.

You must have a belly pan of some type capable of containing 3.5L of fluid. Your oil filter (if exposed), oil drain plug, oil fill cap, and coolant drain plug must be safety wired.

Number plates must be yellow for Amateurs, white for Experts.

With a 550cc liquid-cooled v-twin, your most competitive class would probably be Ultralight Superbike. That's also the SV650 class.  Other classes for which you would be elligible and potentially competitive include:
- GT Lights (25 minute races instead of the usual 7-lap sprint)
- Lightweight Supersport
- Lightweight Superbike
- Lightweight GP
- Thunderbike
Dave Souders
CCS AM #412 / TPM Blue
'06 SV650

2blueYam

I am not even a racer, I just do some pit work for a racer and do some track days, but here is something that would be easy to over look if you are just getting into this.

Rule book: 5.2.18  Cooling system must not contain ethylene glycol

Most racers run water, water mixed with WaterWetter or the new non-Glycol Liquid Performance "Ice Water".  I believe Engine Ice, Evans and Liquid Performance Racing coolants are also allowed per the rules as they are propylene glycol.

Don't forget to install a catch pan as well (rule book section 5.2.23).  Actually, just read through section 5.2 and feel free to come back and ask any specific questions.
R1 for Track, FZ1 for Street

twilkinson3

Don't let 2blue down play what's in his head - he's my pit monkey most of the time and rules boss the other part hehe

sami888

i have everything setup. except the catch pan. they stock one hold oil but i am not really sure if it will work .

sami888

just got the bellypan , so should be ready to go