News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Performance Index Calculation

Started by motomadness, May 14, 2002, 10:58:53 AM

motomadness

How do you calculate the performance index?

I assumed it was:

PI = 1000 - (1000*finish_position) / finishing_grid_size

Is this correct?  Then what do you get if you come in last place? Zero or 100.

Using the above equation, my results are similar to CCS's, but not exactly.  Please help.

Zanyeights

The old CCS (bfore SFX) rulebook explained and showed how to figure it.  I will look tonight to see if I have it at the house but basically its like a batting average.  The finishes you get with respect to the number of races.  I don't think the number of riders matters.  I am pretty sure I have that book and will post tomorrow the offical pre-SFX definition.  CCS used to actually use the performace index but now its just a way to look and see if a guy has 1000 you know he has won every race...but then again I could be wrong.  

See anything to do with "Cherry Pickers" on the WERA.COM board and you will understand what it should be used for.  Just ask any novice this year about Kane and David (CCS West coast action).  Those guys are faster than most of us experts!!

GKing

Try this:

PI = (1000/grid size)x(grid size-riders finishing in front of you)

If you win you get a 1000.  If you are second in a grid of 50 you get 980.  Second in grid of 10 is 900.   ;)

Zanyeights

I just looked in my 99 CCS/NASB rulebook and there is no explanation of how to figure PI.  G's explanation seems plausible to me so for now...

...what is is realistically used for?

GKing

You can use the performance index to tell if a rider's standing in the points is from getting second in a grid of three (PI-667).  Going to every race and getting a third, fourth or fifth and racking up points or entering a few events and winning them all (PI-1000) with a lower total points.

It should also settle the old argument about whether a rider won his championship from consistently entering races or from consistently winning.

GPgofast

QuoteThe old CCS (bfore SFX) rulebook explained and showed how to figure it.  I will look tonight to see if I have it at the house but basically its like a batting average.  The finishes you get with respect to the number of races.  I don't think the number of riders matters.  I am pretty sure I have that book and will post tomorrow the offical pre-SFX definition.  CCS used to actually use the performace index but now its just a way to look and see if a guy has 1000 you know he has won every race...but then again I could be wrong.  

See anything to do with "Cherry Pickers" on the WERA.COM board and you will understand what it should be used for.  Just ask any novice this year about Kane and David (CCS West coast action).  Those guys are faster than most of us experts!!

Kane and David are fast??? No one told me. Maybe it is because they are so far in front that I never see them. Seriously though, at Las Vegas during Saturday's endurance race, 4 laps from the end after OVER 80 laps on the same tires, Kane ran the fastest timed lap of the weekend for ANYONE there(not just the endurance guys)!!! On a 600!!! AFTER riding all day!!! I take my finishes and subtract 3 places from my finish to get my true NOVICE finsih position!!! :D :D :D

I am finishing mid pack, I just wonder about the safety issues when I am coming close to lapping the last place 600 guys during an 6-8 lap sprint race, the fast guys aren't lapping me(but they are getting close) that means they are getting close to lapping the slowest guys twice in a SPRINT race. Their closing speeds on me during parctice is VERY eye opening. I wonder what the slow guys think??? Just thinking out loud, I wonder if there wasn't as much contingency money for Novices, how many cherry pickers would there be and how much is safety is being compromised by having money available to Novice racers???

Litespeed

I probably shoulnd't reply but since I am good freinds with Dave I will state that this is his first year racing and he should be an amateur.  You can say the same for Jason Britton who is also at the front when he races.  I have heard many stories about Kane but have come to the conclusion this is his first full year of racing.  It kind of sucks to have to compete with them but as an amateur I'm not really competing with them, I am competing with myself and the people around me.  Hopefully I will make it up to the next group until I get to the front as time goes on.  I do like the idea of subtracting 3 but it's more meaningful to see that you beat the people you didn't beat the race before.  See you in Vegas this weekend...

r6_philly

Just a thought on the performance index -

since gridding is done by entry, the performance index does not really mean all that much, because a person can enter on the day of the race and finish 3rd, but still have a less index than the guy who started 1st and finished 2nd. Unless you have an index that account for improvement of your position, it still only partial data and doesn't solve the old debate. What if someone consistently pre-enter WAY ahead of time and finish 5 places down, he will have a pretty good preformance index.