It's time to suck it up and buy our own transponders in 2012

Started by Greeny, June 02, 2011, 10:35:28 AM

Greeny

I know this can be a sensitive subject for some people, especially when it was brought up last winter, so I figured I'd get in my $.02 when the race season is still fresh on our minds. 

Anyway...  it seems as if the only argument against a mylaps system tends to be the $$ investment involved and the potential racers it would discourage from gridding up, which is an important one... yet it seems like there are SO many advantages.  First of all, lets take a look at what we've got right now - and by no means am I suggesting that I don't appreciate the efforts that are currently being made to get our laptimes online.  However, it's very clear to me there's a problem with the CCS data consistently translating onto the myracingbio site.  It also seems like there's not much of an effort to fix it, and even if there was, it's simply not working.  This might not seem like a huge deal, but this is information that can be very useful in lots of ways.  For example, I jumped onto the site to see what would be an ideal laptime to target before heading to HPT this year by researching riders I'm familiar with, but the laptimes listed were all 7:00+ and obviously way too screwy to give me any good info.  It's also fun to go back and take a look at your buddy's old laptimes - or even your own. 

We know that every racer on the grid works their asses off for every result they earn.  It doesn't matter if it's for an expert win or a finish towards the back of the AM pack.  We also know that getting help or sponsorship is just as hard as anything else in this sport.  Having a reliable timing system and an organized resource to display our results would make it so much easier to share them with potential sponsors...  With the current system, there are way too many bugs with each rider's profile and any inconsistent spelling or formatting of your name doesn't even group those results together.  Hell, a couple of my best finishes/laps at Heartland were recorded by CCS but they're not even showing up on myracingbio.  It's like I wasn't even there on Sat - a couple of emails with absolutely no response and I've given up.  I've had problems like this in the past as well.  Again, it's not the end of the world, but it's something that's clearly avoidable with other timing systems. 

For those of you who aren't familiar with the mylaps website, I suggest you go and take a look at what they have to offer.  Results are posted immediately and there's never any problems with formatting considering that's exactly what the system is designed to do.  Everything is connected to your personal transponder, so there's no mix ups or inconsistencies with your results or profile.  I'm sure it's also has it's benefits on CCS's end and I'm pretty sure it's very simple for them to upload the data online themselves. 

Again, I appreciate myracingbio's effort, but there are simply much better options out there that could benefit everyone.  The transponders are even compatible with WERA and AMA races.  I wish I could have made my argument a little better, but when you're typing with one hand, it's a little tough to think that much faster than you're typing. 

So, whaddya guys think?

Greeny

It also seemed like the rookies cup was pretty popular at Blackhawk.  Maybe CCS could provide transponders for just that race, or bump the entry fees a little to account for the 1-race rental, so it doesn't discourage new racers from gridding up. 

clarustnb

Also add on to the fact that some CCS racers may already have a transponder. I know I for one do.
Benjamin Loyle
SV650 # 909
http://loyle.lwtracer.com/

ronaldo9

I think they do a pretty good job in the Mid-Atlantic/Atlantic Region. I don't mind waiting to see my results and the times are posted at the track after the race. Alot of guys concerned with their times have their own data loggers and such but I for one am happy it's not mandatory. It's less of a burden for the racer on a budget. I'm happy to have a transponder lended to me by CCS and happy to give it back after the race weekend.
CCS #119 AM

Sobottka

when compared to what the average racer spends a year racing, i think this argument is stupid. besides they will have them available for rent if you cant (or dont want to) buy one.
Lithium Motorsports
Suspension Solutions
http://www.facebook.com/team.chouffe

Greeny

Quote from: ronaldo9 on June 02, 2011, 04:23:30 PM
I think they do a pretty good job in the Mid-Atlantic/Atlantic Region. I don't mind waiting to see my results and the times are posted at the track after the race. Alot of guys concerned with their times have their own data loggers and such but I for one am happy it's not mandatory. It's less of a burden for the racer on a budget. I'm happy to have a transponder lended to me by CCS and happy to give it back after the race weekend.

seeing my own lap times immediately after an event is the last reason i'd want to switch to the mylaps system, i have my own gps lap timer for that.  i like to see how my buddies or my competition did.  i'm also interested in having an accurate history with my old finishes/times for myself and a reliable resource to see the history of others at different tracks.

Quote from: Sobottka on June 02, 2011, 04:43:09 PM
when compared to what the average racer spends a year racing, i think this argument is stupid. besides they will have them available for rent if you cant (or dont want to) buy one.

agreed.  assuming it'll last 10 years, we're talking 30 bucks a year. 

either way, we're just delaying the inevitable. 

Motokonpo

" a couple of emails with absolutely no response and I've given up. "  Welcome to the "Emails to CCS with NO response club"!!!!!! Being trying to get them to correct my name and send my license to me so I can know my "official" race number since April. I still have no clue and they have yet it send my replacement.

Greeny

i usually call the CCS office for info when i need, it's way more efficient and they're always happy to help.  i was talking about trying to contact myracingbio to see if he got my results...   but this is going in a different direction and wasn't the intent of this thread.  i just feel like the advantages of a new system get overlooked once people learn there's a personal financial investment involved. 

TAlber8

for 400$ I'll pass on being able to search CCS historical times.

But a central place to upload GPS info would be cool

roadracer162

Quote from: Motokonpo on June 02, 2011, 07:17:42 PM
" a couple of emails with absolutely no response and I've given up. "  Welcome to the "Emails to CCS with NO response club"!!!!!! Being trying to get them to correct my name and send my license to me so I can know my "official" race number since April. I still have no clue and they have yet it send my replacement.

Call Ginger at the office.

This CCS Forum site and Myracingbio are not owned by CCS/ASRA  These sites are up because some good people volunteered their time.

On to the topic. In my opinion if the organization decides their system involves buying a transponder then there isn't much choice for me but to comply or not race. Me personally, I don't need to know anyone else's times. If I do I would get out there with my timer and find out for myself. On a more personal note I would rather if my times were not known only because I don't like having a target on my back.

If we were gridding by qualifying then I would see the transponder as necessary. What I do like is using my GoPro and then timing those laps at viewing noting any difference for a particular lap that I was faster or slower.

If the decision is to go with mylaps then I may get one. I don't currently have one nor do I intend to go racing with another organization that uses the mylaps.

Mark
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22
Mark Tenn Motorsports, Michelin tire guy in Florida.

mikendzel

I had a long paragraph typed out about how hard it is to talk track day guys into racing.  They see racing as more $ with less track time, PLUS the additional expenses of tires, bodywork, and race school.  Add $400 to that and the few people that do cross over will be much fewer!

But here's the real "tale of the tape."
CCS AM Middleweight Supersport from Summit Point 5/28/2010    -     38 entries
WERA Novice C Superstock from Summit Point 6/13/2010             -     14 entries

CCS EX Middleweight Supersport from Summit Point 5/28/2010     -     28 entries
WERA Expert C Superstock from Summit Point 6/13/2010              -     12 entries

And YES, it was sunny both weekends!  I checked the lap times.

Clearly there is a reason TWICE as many people race CCS; it could be the "double bubble" windscreen controversy, it could be the class structure, it could be the awesome people in the paddock and the officials, but I'd put my money on the fact that WERA requires an extra $400 transponder.

gixxer188

Why get a system that requires a $400 investment for the racer?  Why not get an RFID system that uses a tiny sticker that only cost $.30/ea to the racer?  The RFID systems are portable so yo only need to buy one or two or whatever and just bring them from track to track.  And if a guy crashes it won't cost him another $400 to replace the transponder, another $.30 sticker and you're good to go!

And there were 26 new racers in the Learning Curves Race School @ Blackhawk Farms in May!
MadisonSBK.com Online Store
MadisonSBK Racing - Owner/Racer
2012 CCS Midwest Regional Formula 40 Champion
2012 Blackhawk Farms Raceway Formula 40 Track Champion