News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Some questions on RA as the weekend come's near!

Started by DRU2, April 21, 2003, 09:38:30 PM

DRU2

Well as I sit here and think about the weenend that is coming now so close, I can't help but start to feel a little fearfull about a track that I've never been on at anything close to a race speed. Don't get me wrong, I can't wait. To be on a track that has been ran by so many rider's, both pro and amature. I can't help but think how will my weekend turn out? As always when you have a question ask the people you know might have some insite to the question. with such a fast track like RA and one that can come to bite you in the ass as fast as you can think what should I look for when I'm out there, an how the hell do I handle turn 11 thanks for the help in advance Joe

K3 Chris Onwiler

I can teach you how to crash out of the lead in turn seven... ;D

Actually, it wasn't my fault.  Edgar hit me.  Yeah, thats the ticket.  He hit me!
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

tzracer

Turn 11 and the entrance to turn 13 are not good places to fall. Take your time and get used to the turns. It takes a while to learn the track due to its size. Perhaps a more experienced rider would lead you around to show you the racing line. Unfortunately due to the size of the track and lack of time we are unable to do a track walk. Riders are always welcome to join the Learning Curves class on our track walk.
Brian McLaughlin
http://www.redflagfund.org
Donate at http://www.donate.redflagfund.org

2 strokes smoke, 4 strokes choke

Jeff

Jim,

The track is laid out so that you can carry an incredible amount of speed just about everywhere.  Turn 11 only freaks people out because it's FAST and has a wall on the outside of it.

Take it like any other corner!

When I first started at Road A, I'd short shift into 4th going into the carousel, roll on the entire 1/2 mile of it and continue to dial on through the short straight to turn 11.  I'd then roll off to shave just a touch of speed before 11, and go through 11 ON THE GAS in 4th, topping it out and hitting 5th & 6th on the back straight into Canada Corner.

This last year, I got to where I could hit 5th on the short straight going into 11.  I still roll off before hand, but don't use the brakes.

Once you get on the track and go around it you'll see that it's not a big deal.  Just look THROUGH the corner like you would with any other corner, and go for it!
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

YTAK_Racing

sdiver68

The AMA 600SS guys last year were hitting 135 through the kink.  The Superbike guys 145.

:o
MCRA Race School Instructor

tshort

The best single thing anyone ever told me about RA is what Jeffy said about the carousel - short shift into 4th going into it and then keep rolling it on all the way around.  

Also, something else to consider is Turn 7 (is it turn 7?).  You come up the hill, under the Mazda bridge, make the left (T6?), and then set up for T7, a big right hander.  I find this corner very deceptive - it can be taken waaay faster than I ever do, because it opens up on the exit.  Hit it right, and you'll be passing people going down the hill.
Tom
ThinkFast Racing
AFM #280 EX
ex-CCS #128

sdiver68

While we are talking about it, what's the strategy for dealing with the seams in 6 and 8?  Maybe because it was cold and damp last year in April...but those things are slick as hell!

numbskullz58

what seams? if its warm, let it rip. if not go home ;)No, really the kink is not that bad, i go 5th wide open on my 600 and roll out for just a second to settle the front, then WFO. Its fun when you get it down. Just take it slow and every time out for practice pick one section of the track to work on. Then at the end of the day put them all together. You will have a blast. Trust me.

sdiver68

Patches, seams, whatever you call them, I'm not sure if this is 6 or 8 but they looked like this and were slick:

I've always assumed it was just the conditions that made them slick because lots were complaining about them those days but in general I haven't heard that about the track. (i.e. RA is great but watch out for 6 and 8!)

numbskullz58

I never really noticed those seams. I guess when its warm they are not a big deal. There are a few in Hurry downs and in the Kettle Bottums but they are not a big deal. I have been to a lot of tracks and Road America and Road Atlanta are by far the best.

spyderchick

QuoteTurn 11 and the entrance to turn 13 are not good places to fall.

Brian, where are the "good places" to fall?  :o

Just joshin' ya, I thought that statement was a bit goofy is all.  ;)

I agree, you definitely want to keep it shiny side up in 11
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".