News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Grease

Started by tshort, April 21, 2003, 10:37:29 AM

tshort

My service manual (for an SV) says to use molybdenum disulfide grease for the axle and cush drive when changing/remounting the rear wheel.  Is that any different to other kinds of grease designed for use on axles?  

Car parts stores don't seem to have this stuff - they have Moly Graphite grease, and other things. :-/
Tom
ThinkFast Racing
AFM #280 EX
ex-CCS #128

tzracer

Many assembly lubes are moly disulfide greases, kind of messy to use.

If you are greasing the axle and the rubber cushions, most grease should work ok.
Brian McLaughlin
http://www.redflagfund.org
Donate at http://www.donate.redflagfund.org

2 strokes smoke, 4 strokes choke

tcchin

Moly Graphite grease is molybdenum disulfide fortified (typically) lithium soap thickened grease. I think the important thing here is that the manual is probably referring to a 3% moly grease (not a 60% moly paste like Dow-Corning G-n) which is an extreme pressure (EP) rated general-purpose NLGI-2 grease. Non-EP greases are not designed to protect as well against metal-to-metal contact.

My personal favorites are Royal Purple Ultra-Performance Grease, which is available at fine automotive retail stores nationwide (as well as through my sponsor), and Dow Corning BR2 Plus, which is available through McMaster-Carr. The Royal Purple is tackier and thicker and it's more water resistant thanks to its aluminum complex thickener package, but the BR2 Plus is more versatile (chassis lube, engine assembly, sandwich spread, etc.).

Thingy

Tim, is there anything that you don't know? :)
-Bill Hitchcock
GP EX #13
Double Bravo Racing
'01 Ducati 748

Tuck your skirt in your panties and twist the throttle!

Bernie

Yeah, what he said. ;D

ceesthadees

I have three greases. The black grease, the red grease and the white grease.

The black grease is for fast moving stuff.
The red grease is for waterproofing and keeping bolts I remove a lot unfrozen.
The white grease is for slow moving stuff.

I do not know what they are, Tim just told me what to do with them.

tshort

QuoteI have three greases. The black grease, the red grease and the white grease.

The black grease is for fast moving stuff.
The red grease is for waterproofing and keeping bolts I remove a lot unfrozen.
The white grease is for slow moving stuff.

I do not know what they are, Tim just told me what to do with them.

Did he have any particular recoommendations re which one to use on Saturday nights? ;D
Tom
ThinkFast Racing
AFM #280 EX
ex-CCS #128

tshort

QuoteMoly Graphite grease is molybdenum disulfide fortified (typically) lithium soap thickened grease. I think the important thing here is that the manual is probably referring to a 3% moly grease (not a 60% moly paste like Dow-Corning G-n) which is an extreme pressure (EP) rated general-purpose NLGI-2 grease. Non-EP greases are not designed to protect as well against metal-to-metal contact.

Wow - thanks, Tim - that is most helpful.  I couldn't find that much info anywhere on the web.  I picked up some Valvoline grease, it's black, very sticky, and says it's Moly-fortified.  I think NLGI-2M or something like that.  I'llkeep an eye out for the Royal Purple.  Thanks again.
Tom
ThinkFast Racing
AFM #280 EX
ex-CCS #128

tcchin

Tom - You're quite welcome. I don't know if you can tell, but grease seems to have become a really intense obsession lately, mostly because of some surprisingly bad experiences with some under-performing formulations. And yes, I am in the process of having a batch custom-blended to my specifications. Trust me, it's a sickness.

tcchin

The only way to order RPUPG directly from Royal Purple is by the 30-tube case. However, their website has links to other companies that retail their various products. Many other online racing supply stores offer excellent prices on RP products, too. Also, NAPA auto parts stores seem to have a distribution agreement with Royal Purple, so they tend to stock quite a few of their products.

BTW ceesthadees, you might soon be upgraded to a four-grease operation...

Pit_Girl

QuoteDid he have any particular recoommendations re which one to use on Saturday nights? ;D

geeeze tshort  ::) lol ..... i would say which ever one doesnt dye your skin crazy colors.....  ;)

-jennifer