Help!!!!

Started by f3racer, March 24, 2011, 09:05:09 AM

f3racer

I have an 07 cbr 600 rr. So i prepping to go overseas and i put the bike back together. There was nothing wrong with it but i pulled the forks off to send to Rob @ Lithium and ended up getting orders to go overseas. Bike hasnt been started in about 3 months. I fired the bike up and all of the sudden there is hot water filling up the belly pan. I looked to see where it was coming from and it is coming from the front of the cylinders. Bike runs fines still so i am assuming its just the outside of the cylinder. I need a new cylinder and was wondering what other things i should replace while i have it apart. it has 20k miles so i will definately be replacing the rings, probably going with total seal rings. I am thinking about decking the head to bump up compression a bit. I plan on running Middle weight and heavy weight superbike when i get back so i need to stay within regulation.
Will
Former CCS MW Novice #81, WERA Novice #81
AHRMA Heavyweight SBK #81, DD's Racing Endurance Team #773
2020 Tuono Factory, 2000 RC51, 1980 CB750/823

GSXR RACER MIKE

Is there a possibility the coolant froze at some point?
Smites are a cowards way of feeling brave!   :jerkoff:
Mike Williams - 2 GSXR 750's
Former MW Region Expert #58
Racing exclusively with CCS since '96

f3racer

well its all water so it is possible. the garage isnt heated.
Will

GSXR RACER MIKE

Something to be aware of is if your cooling system froze you may have an internal leak as well, if that's the case you will have coolant in your engine oil causing your oil level to be high and discolored as well (possibly milky looking if the engine has been cranked over or run). This can turn dangerous to your engine if you run the engine because even though it may seem like it's running OK the crankcase can fill up with coolant and over heat the engine from the cooling system getting low, cause a reduction or loss of lubricity to your bearings / cylinder walls / cam lobes / etc, or if enough coolant gets into the crankcase the pistons could start hitting the fluid in the crankcase and possibly cause a catastrophic failure.

There's a tool called a 'cooling system pressure tester' which has a small hand held manual bicycle type pump with a built in pressure gauge that's connected by a hose to a radiator cap type of connector that you lock onto your radiator, once connected you build up pressure in the cooling system by using the pump and watching to see if the pressure stays in the system. If the leak is substantial you could always use compressed air (thru a regulator that allows you to reduce the air pressure down to whatever your radiator cap pressure is rated for) to supply a constant source of air, this way you can try and identify where the leak(s) are at in your engine thru listening and using your hand to feel for leaking air if external. Be cautious if you do this though because too much air pressure (much beyond your radiator cap pressure) could potentially cause damage to your cooling system including blowing out the radiator, hoses, and or gaskets.
Smites are a cowards way of feeling brave!   :jerkoff:
Mike Williams - 2 GSXR 750's
Former MW Region Expert #58
Racing exclusively with CCS since '96

f3racer

Thanks ill look into it
Will