News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Guess i wont be going to RA.

Started by Steviebee, April 20, 2003, 04:44:37 PM

Steviebee

Well, chief blackhawk decided he wanted me to see what its like to cartwheel down the front stretch at 100mph today !!  

Lucky me !  I crashed pretty bad at the nesba day today. so I wont be going to RA.

But i made it back home, and the couch is calling my name !

EX#996

Owch!!!

Ok, we need details...

...  How did you cartwheel down the front strech?

Plus - it seems that you came out of it OK, but how are you really feeling?

Dawn   :-/
Paul and Dawn Buxton

dave333

The real question is, did you maintain proper form while cart-wheeling?  What score did the judges give you?  ;D ;D ;D  

Rest up, heal up, the bike can be repaired a lot easier than you think, trust me...

Steviebee

well

It was wet, just stopped raining.

On about the 5th or 6th lap (of the first session i might add)

Coming down the front, get off to the side, pop up and hit the brakes about the start finish line.  Which i had done the same the first several laps,  gave me plently of time to slow way way down and off the brakes for the turn.

Well this time, after i started to brake about the 4 marker i think i hydroplaned it.   The front end started to tuck( when i was going straight, maybe i locked up the front tire since i was hydroplaning ???),  then i did was K3 told me to do when the front end tucks,  and i saved it,  i brought it back.

Unfortunately by this time i had angled off to the left and went screaming into grass at proable over 100 mph.  Made it about 60 feet and then went tumbling,  me  the bike, me the bike me the bike.

Poop.   No broken bones nothing dislocated, nothing bleeding,  covered in mud and grass.

I destroyed the subrame and pretty much everything in it.  Nocked the part off the frame that the subframe bolts to.

The frame might be a litte tweaked, Im hoping the swingarm is fine (looks ok).  Didnt even break the clipons.  

I goota get a subframe, seat, battery, fairing stay, windscreen, brake resivoir, get the things that bolt the subframe on welded back on to the frame, get it checked out for straightness.

Well im still learning.  Now i know to take it easy the week before racing.  Even k3 told me to take it easy too.  (which i thought i was).  Well i felt like i was in controll.  

I should be back ready for the next blackhawk in may.

:-[  :( :( :o :( :( :o >:(

stumpy

Sorry to hear about your wreck Steve-o.  I :'( was looking forward to hangin out with you at RA.  But the important thing is you are alright!  Hope we see you in May at BHF!!!
Greg "Stumpy" Steltenpohl
www.teamstumpyracing.com

MightyDuc Racing

Sorry to hear that Stevie.  I'm sure you'll have it fixed and be back out there in no time.  I know what it's like to have to miss a round cuz the bike's broke (actually 2 in a row).  Sorry man. :-/  This first year thing is all a learning experience for us. :)
MightyDuc Racing
CCS AM #944 - Florida Region
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:
Tomahawk Tires, Dunlop, AGV, Superbikes & Ski, SW Medical Supply, BCM

Woofentino Pugrossi

Well Steve, you were not the only one here who did the Flozbury Flop off the bike. Ask Kim how her TLR is doing. ;D For some reason she doesnt get along with turn 6. ;)

Back to your gixxer. Defiantely get that frame checked. That area near the neck would worry me with how wavy it is right now. Might be normal, but just to make sure.
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

Steviebee

oh noooo..

she was doing so good.  hope shes ok.

my neck is pretty stiff.  gonna be sore tomorow.

Woofentino Pugrossi

Shes fine. Bike, from what I saw, needs a new rear caliper or a new banjo bolt (leaking), new windscreen, maybe upper and lower bodywork?
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

Super Dave

Well, that answers my questions about how Kim did....

Steve, those little lugs break off the frame on the GSXR's.  

I did two of mine in at the end of 2001 when I hit the wall at Gateway.  Made my bike a little flat.  OOPS!

There are places like Street and Competition that keep R&R subframes in stock.  Cheaper than the stock ones.  But e-bay is an option.
Super Dave

Pierre - Team PMR

Steve, Man, Am I glad your ok...that was one hell of a crash!  Keep your chin up...you'll have her back together and be back racing soon.  If there anything I can do to help, just let me or Greg know.

Good luck

Kim, glad your ok too...Sorry I didnt get to check on you....when i was leaving I couldnt find you.  Are you going to be able to make it to RA???
Pierre Montsion
Team PMR
CCS EX# 280

K3 Chris Onwiler

I'll hook you up with my welder, dude.  He's a miracle worker.  Just let me know.
Hey, you were railing this weekend.  Don't lose hope.  You've got the gift, but right now you lack the experience to use it to it's fullest.  Although it would seem that you're gaining experience at an alarming rate...  You'll eventually be very good at this, I predict.
K3
PS, How's the wife taking all this... :o
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

KBOlsen

Stevie... I'll keep my fingers crossed that you will be able to make it to RA.  It was so much fun riding/talking with you over the weekend.  It absolutely sucked to see your bike come in on the truck.  I'm glad you're okay tho... better take some Advil before you go to bed tonight.

As for me, I'm fine... finally found out what I've been doing wrong in 6 all this time.  Unfortunately, I now have a full page of parts and stuff to take care of between now and Thursday (although not nearly as extensive as yours!)

LOL, Pierre... John has this thing about going home - I can spend all weekend socializing... except at the end of the day Sunday.  He's been known to start driving out without me because I'm such a "chatty cathy".  He was especially worried because now we've got to scramble to get the bike ready to go again.
CCS AM 815... or was that 158?

Super Dave

Six, huh?

What are you doing there?
Super Dave

Steviebee

Glad were all ok.

Yep those little lugs went snappy poo.
both tires went flat, man is it alot harder to push the bike with flat tires.

Im pretty much decided im not going to try to make RA.  That way i can use the money ill get back from pre-entering to fix it.  Plus it will give me time to take it someplace to have them check out the frame and swingarm.

Thanks for all the help and advice K3 its not me thats fast, its the bike.  I really was thinking about taking it easy.  or at least trying too.  I felt in control, i was taking it pretty easy on the corners.  

The wife was at work, i called her after i got in the house.

Wife"  How was riding? Your back early ? was it raining? "
Me  "err, it was ok, till this morning"
Wife "Did you fall down ?  Your not suppose to fall down"
Me "ahh yea, i crashed pretty hard"
Wife "You ok?  You crashed again ?"
Me, "im fine, just sore, how much advil can i take ?"
Wife "dont take a bunch of pills! Are you still going next weekend?"
Me "err, proabbly not, cant ride the bike right now, its needs fixing"
Wife "Well, at least i got next weekend off to spend with ya!"

So far this new "hobby/obsesion" is new to her, so she not mad when i crash and have to spend money to fix stuff.

Super Dave

Give yourself some credit, Steve.  You do ride well.  So, face it, you ride well.

4and6 has a Computrack machine in Chicago.  That would be the most accurate way to do it.  They shot my R6 before Blackhawk, and we set up the basic geometry there.  I only had to make a small change...before I went out and wadded (my fault...nut on the handle bar...)

http://4and6.com

Drop me a note, and if you do talk to them, tell them that you went to one of my schools too.
Super Dave

TZDeSioux

hey Steveibee, it was nice meeting you mang. This must have happend on Sunday eh? Glad that you are okay and hope to see you out there soon.  :)

Oh and Kim... it was nice meeting you and scary John.   :D

lbk

Well, what a weekend.

Steviebee that sucks man, I was over talking to you about it and that's always difficult. Because it's upsetting and a lot of times I'm not sure if people are in the mood right then and there to discuss it. Just for the record though it did look spectacular, bike in the air plastics flying off whole nine.

Started to head down that way but saw you standing so knew you had to be ok. You got up pretty quick. Also side note I wouldn't be to concerned about that spot in the frame by the steering head. I looked at mine although it's a 97 and it's hard to tell with the VIN plate being right there, but it appeared to have a slight dip in it. Wonder if it might not just be something from the manufacturing process, because to my knowledge my bike has never been down. Of course I could've been seeing things too. You know saw yours looked at mine and went oh yeah it's the same. :D

Pierre, it was nice meeting you. Hope you do enter some of the HW classes because I think it would be fun to run with you. We seemed to be pretty close in pace. Sometimes you were a little faster which is a huge compliment because I'm sure your bike is a little lower on power, so that says something about your corner speed and braking points.

Kim, Kim, Kim what can I say, I was sorry sad when I saw you in that turn. But you were up so that was a good thing. TLR looked a little crunchy but you got the man himself on the job so don't underestimate his ability to get it fixed in time. :D By the way you looked great the session before that, I was behind you and you really did look like you were doing good and you were comfortable.

It was great meeting some of the people from here, and hope  to see some of you again at the May 10th - 11th dates at Blackhawk.

Super_Duck, ignore me if you see me over by that TZ just drooling, I promise not to get any on the bike itself. Personally I think it looks pretty cool with that just plain white out of the box look to it. :D

Pierre - Team PMR

QuotePierre, it was nice meeting you. Hope you do enter some of the HW classes because I think it would be fun to run with you. We seemed to be pretty close in pace. Sometimes you were a little faster which is a huge compliment because I'm sure your bike is a little lower on power, so that says something about your corner speed and braking points.

LBK - Thanks for the compliment....It was a blast running with you too.  I think I'll be more in the MW classes, but I'm sure we'll run together sometime in the future!
Pierre Montsion
Team PMR
CCS EX# 280

Jeff

Don't feel bad...  I crashed 2 years ago on the straight at BHF in the rain.  Downshifted a little early and the rear came around on me.  I slid from the start/finish all the way through turn 1.  Pretty fun :-)

As for alignment, there's another choice now available!

MD-Racing has a Kyle-Gordis system which measures chassis as well as GMD.  

I had my bike shot a few weeks back.  I'm not done with my write-up on the experience, but here's what I have so far...

http://www.cbr600f4.com/secondary_pages/mdkg.htm

Like I say, it's another option...  www.mdracingstp.com
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

Steviebee

lbk you should have come over to chat.  I was ok, usually i dont get p'ed off and throw temper tantrums when things go bad.  One guy saw me tuck the front on the straight and save it, then watched me go off into the grass and tumble.  Guess I did one of those end over end over end several times !!  Well at least i got the big crash out of the way early in the season !

Its nice meeting people from the board irl.  I got to see the pristine white TZ meet Super_Duck and a few pthers.

Jef4y Matt was there and i talked with him after too.  The only problem is his shop is 4 hours away from me.  Im going to try a few places here to see if they can weld up the tabs on the frame.  I dont have a plan of what im going to do yet.  We'll figure it out

lbk

Quotelbk you should have come over to chat.  

I did ;D

Did I leave that bad of an impression LOL!

Yeah I was over talking to you a bit and looking over the bike. I was the one that was trying to figure out if the swing arm was bent or not with you. :D

tshort

Sorry to hear about your get-off, Steviebee.  Don't think we met on Saturday, but I am looking forward to meeting more of this BBS gang as the season progresses.

And Kim - you, too eh?  Sounds like you're not letting it slow you down any, what with RA a few days off - I'll see you there  - I'm running in the GT race on Friday, and then four each Sat and Sun - should be fun - hope the track is dry.

And I was highfiving Kim in the pits Saturday after I had my very first crash - just a tiny lowside in 3b....just some Krylon on the fairing, and some new stickers, and I should be good to go for RA.  See you all there.
Tom
ThinkFast Racing
AFM #280 EX
ex-CCS #128

lbk

tshort, were you the one with the burgandy SV?

tshort

No - all yellow SV.  Yellow/black helmet, leathers are white upper, red/black lower - and very clean (touch wood ;))
Tom
ThinkFast Racing
AFM #280 EX
ex-CCS #128

Pierre - Team PMR

Quotetshort, were you the one with the burgandy SV?

Your thinking of Johnny....He went down in 6 (I think)
Pierre Montsion
Team PMR
CCS EX# 280

K3 Chris Onwiler

My wife is not too amused when I crash.  She's about over the fact that I have become a racing gypsy, but the crashing thing...
So how do you feel today? :o
K3
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

Steviebee

sorry lbk,  

next time tell me your on the board!!.  hehe
I guess i was thinking you were someone else.
A bunch of people came over to see the bike.

On another note, last Nov when i decided id try racing.  One of the things i decided i needed to do was to get back into shape.  So i bought a home gym, and a treadmill.   And started working out and jogging, and stretching several times a week.  I spent about 1600$ on the gym and 1000$ on the treadmill.  AFter this crash im glad ive been working out.   I think i would have been hurt more if i hadnt been working out. Or would be in a lot more pain today!  Just my opinion, mybee i was just lucky.

Dawn

QuoteMy wife is not too amused when I crash.  K3

I'm not 'amused' when Paul crashes either.  Last year we had such a stretch of bad luck I almost told him he had to quit.  Fortunately I got over it.  

There is a reason I watch for Paul on the front straight only.....

Dawn   :-/

Super Dave

QuoteThere is a reason I watch for Paul on the front straight only.....

Because you want to catch him on Video crashing there and you can have the best view for AFV?  $15k
 ;D
Super Dave

Dawn

QuoteBecause you want to catch him on Video crashing there and you can have the best view for AFV?  $15k
 ;D

No.... I don't think so....

Dawn   :)