News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

suspension choices

Started by racenrub, January 29, 2011, 07:41:09 PM

racenrub

What would you folks claim is the best suspension for the buck?
There's always worse things then dying

Super Dave

Well, where are you located, what are you riding, and how fast are you?

Stock generally leaves something to be desired.  Specifically, the spring rates and geometry are often not good enough to handle race track use:  too much actual traction and cornering load to support some consistent chassis geometry that allows your reaction/input to work in a way that is consistent.  This is NECESSARY even if you buy the most expensive suspension components available.  And it is the most neglected area of club racers/track day riders.  Parts are bought and installed, but the spring rates or geometry are all wrong.  So, they gained "nice dampening" and "lots of adjustments", but there isn't a change in the chassis that really makes it "work right".

If you don't know how to get the bike sorted out, then working with a good local suspension guy is important.  Not one that just took some class on shim stacks, but someone that has a handle on how spring rates, shock lengths, oil heights, fork heights, tire differences will all affect YOUR chassis.  They may have a starting point, but it does still require some work to develop a bike.

I think Roger Penske's irritation with the rest of the suspension world is evident when he moved toward setting up Penske in the suspension business.  Seems like their quality has been pretty much outstanding, including their less expensive options.  Ohlins is a consideration, but I believe that at times they can make things a bit more complicated.  Some items like shocks coming from some distribution with incorrectly labeled shock springs and shock springs that are shipped based upon two up riding.  The internal quality of OEM shocks, in general, isn't so good.  Save your money on making something out of nothing there.  The other aftermarket shock opportunities out there can be enticing.  Can be lower cost alternatives, but there can be some issues.  Parts availability and general set up knowledge.  It's not that they are bad, but one almost needs to be a bit more self sufficient and knowledgeable about set up to operate with one of the other brands. 

I really haven't had a whole ton of experience with a lot of replacement cartridges as I was regularly beating most of the field with stock cartridges.  A proper spring rate with proper valving, oil, and a shim stack change is probably all that is needed until you're right there trying to win expert manufacturer contingency races where one's riding is refined and half seconds count.

As of late, I've been using Trackside Engineering here in Wisconsin because of the products and experience they have.  Over the years, I've used suspension guys from both coasts and places in between. 

Should give a start...
Super Dave

racenrub

Springfield,il, running a 06 600rr at the moment, I've only got 2 years track time,  and 2 races under my belt so not to awfull fast. Something i'd like to figure out is how to translate what i feel the bike is doing and make it into an adjustment. So far my brain hasn't worked that one out yet.

TracksideS&E

Everything Dave said is spot on. OEM setup works for some on the street - But when you put the bike on the track - Everything changes... Springs are most important - then valving to control the spring and what the bike is doing.

Best bang for your buck - Penske 8987 Triple and Penske 20MM Fork Piston Kit/Springs....

The Penske Shock is built specifically for you and the Penske 20MM kit gives you all the control as a comparable 20mm cartridge kits - without spending the extra money on the cartridge. The Penske 20 kit installed with springs is about half what the cartridge kit costs.

Give us a ring - we can talk more in depth.

mattg

Quote from: TracksideS&E on January 30, 2011, 05:51:50 PM
Everything Dave said is spot on. OEM setup works for some on the street - But when you put the bike on the track - Everything changes... Springs are most important - then valving to control the spring and what the bike is doing.

Best bang for your buck - Penske 8987 Triple and Penske 20MM Fork Piston Kit/Springs....

The Penske Shock is built specifically for you and the Penske 20MM kit gives you all the control as a comparable 20mm cartridge kits - without spending the extra money on the cartridge. The Penske 20 kit installed with springs is about half what the cartridge kit costs.

Give us a ring - we can talk more in depth.

That's the setup I had on my 05 600rr, it worked great!  And Scotty's help is always fantastic!

racenrub

So where's your buisness located at ye ol trackside?

spyderchick

Quote from: racenrub on January 31, 2011, 05:28:28 PM
So where's your buisness located at ye ol trackside?

Click the TSE logo in his response to navigate to their site.

BTW Mark and Scotty rock the casbah!
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

TracksideS&E

Yeah - Sorry bout the delay.... Darien,Wi Which is right across the IL/WI border. Our site is under construction - as it has been for a few years now - Should be up and running soon here I hope.... The only useful information on the site now is phone numbers and address I believe...

LMsports

Scott and Mark do a great job. We are also an Ohlins, Race Tech, and Traxxion Dynamics service center. We also sell and service Penske, Elka, K Tech, and GP suspensions products as well. We have used every brand that we sell and know our products well. Feel free to give me a call to discuss options within your budget. 712-255-7955, ask for Rob.
Rob Oliva
Lithium Motorsports, Inc.
Suspension Solutions
712-546-7747
www.lithiummotorsports.net

MELK-MAN

How much do you have to spend? That will be a determining factor in your quest for speed. As a beginning racer, you might want to talk with your suspension guy (whoever ya choose) about revalving your stock stuff, even the stock shock vs. buying a high dollar aftermarket shock. Will be considerably better that stock valving that is designed to use in a huge range vs. track/racing specific valving.. Yes, an Ohlins TTX is nice and looks friggin COOL but it is not cheap.
Your speed will improve, your bike is going on 6 years old. Spend a little now and work on going fast.. then if you find your REALLY hooked on this stuff (like so many of us) search out a well sorted year old or so bike from a reputable racer. Building from new is fun.. once.. ill tell ya all about it as many of us can. If you have a day job it is often much easier to get a race ready bike used, and pimp it out to look the way ya want.
Just my thoughts.
2012 FL region & 2014 South East overall champion
Pro Flow Tech Performance Fuel Injector Service
MICHELIN, EBC, Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice

racenrub

It's certainly a reasonable thought to. I'm always riding on a budget. I figured i would upgrade the year before doing anything drastic. I can't say i have a suspension guy sadly. I've always done with the thought process "If it ain't broke". well i'll give those two guys a call and c what they have to say to me. Thanks for the imput.

JCP636

+10 on Penske. As good as anything else out there if not better and inexpensive.
Some may never live, but the crazy never die...

ccs#188