Because I just can't get enough smites..

Started by Farmboy, January 19, 2011, 08:54:39 PM

Farmboy

So we took the motor on my '96 Monster 944 apart this week. A little history: The bike had 7000 street miles on it when I bought it in '04. I did 3 track days that year (my first); on the last day, it was smoking on decel, so that winter, we installed a DP 944 kit and new con-rod bearings, massaged the heads a bit, and threw on a set of 39mm flatslides and a lightened flywheel and called it a day. Since then, I've done 7 seasons worth of trackdays and racing on the bike, including 2 BHF, 2 RA, and 1 Daytona Team Challenges. It was my only bike in '08; in '09 it was my backup to the S2R, but I still rode it every weekend (Actually, now that I think of it, the S2R wasn't sorted out until the 3rd event. So there.) The bike really felt down on power this year in the RA TC, so we thought it might just be a good idea to have a looky-see. Really, we were mostly concerned about eventual piston failure...

The verdict? Greg over at MCC said it looked excellent. In fact, he said that if we could get rings (we probably can't, not that it matters) he'd be tempted to just put it back together. Even the cylinders were fine. So, a new set of Pistal pistons from DucShop in 1-2 weeks (they just sold their last set yesterday - Dammit!), new con-rod bearings, and new belts, and we're back in business - yippee!

My point? Well, every year, there are like 8000 discussions on here about how Ducatis are ruining the lightweight classes, and how only us rich guys (Puh-leeze. I am but a lowly turd-herder) can afford them, and so on. Now admittedly, this is not a DS 1000 motor, but I'd guess that it puts out around 85 HP (I'm finally going to dyno it when we're done - I simply must know), and it was a damn fine & very competitive Amateur level ride, and with this kind of longevity (did I mention a COMPLETELY STOCK, ORIGINAL BOTTOM END???), I think it kinda blows the whole $$$ argument outta the water. Furthermore, I think it'll be an excellent Expert bike, especially on shorter tracks. I'm fairly sure (extremely hopeful) I can eventually drop a coupla seconds on it at BHF...We'll see. Furtherfurthermore, I built the motor in the S2R to a comparatively similar state of tune, so I'm looking forward to that bike lasting 4 or 5 or even more seasons. Again, we''ll see. Anyway, yes, the buy-in absolutely can be higher for the Ducs, but over the long run, I think it really balances out, especially if you neither overbuild or overrev them. At least, that has been my experience.

OK, go to town, you little imps. Oh, and see you MW/GP guys in Topeka.. I'm looking forward to hanging with you all! 

PS. I'll update with the dyno #'s when I get them, probably 2-3 weeks. Peace.
Jim Berard CCS MW#904

backMARKr

Damn Jim...you drink a buncha coffee or something???  :biggrin: 
NFC Racin',Woodcraft, Pitbull,M4, SUDCO,Bridgestone
WERA #13

Team Spalding

Quote from: backMARKr on January 19, 2011, 09:41:10 PM

I think the "or something" is more accurate.

Jim text me your email and I will send you what you asked for the voice mail. My phone is syncing right now.
Joel Spalding
CCS & ASRA #36

Sponsors: Michelin, Ducati Of Indy, Wife Cindy, Held Gloves, Southeast Sales.

Farmboy

Quote from: backMARKr on January 19, 2011, 09:41:10 PM

Nah, I'm just totally stoked that I can afford to race this year!

Quote from: Team Spalding on January 19, 2011, 09:54:36 PM
I think the "or something" is more accurate.

Jim text me your email and I will send you what you asked for the voice mail. My phone is syncing right now.

C'mon, man, awards banquet notwithstanding, you know I'm on a health kick. It's all wheat germ and water over by here. Text sent; thanks!
Jim Berard CCS MW#904

kawtipping

Hey Jim, we know that you don't have to put a bunch of money in a Ducati to make it quick....just because people think you do is a moot point!  Hell, if they would rather pay less money for a bike up front and then stick a bunch into it to make it competitive, let them.  When your beginning with a better package, you are going to pay more initially. 

Good luck this season!
Moto Union - Ducati & MV Agusta of Milwaukee

Who wants a pasta ride?

MELK-MAN

wheat germ..  shouldn't you take some antibiotics for that?? LOL..
2012 FL region & 2014 South East overall champion
Pro Flow Tech Performance Fuel Injector Service
MICHELIN, EBC, Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice

backMARKr

Quote from: Farmboy on January 19, 2011, 10:10:44 PM
Nah, I'm just totally stoked that I can afford to race this year!

Very cool! glad to hear it.

Ben is building a motor for me right now and hopefully will have this superbike complete sometime before summer.

good luck this season.
NFC Racin',Woodcraft, Pitbull,M4, SUDCO,Bridgestone
WERA #13

GIGOLO

for anyone that doesnt know Jim, he isn't rich.  Bitch owes me $100, and a backrub

MACOP1104

I owned a 95 Duc 900SP.  The thing was a beast of a street bike.  hi comp 944 pistons, carillo rods, cams, flight slides, Marchesini wheels, Fox shock etc.  It ended up chunking a main bearing and I parted it out.  Anyway, that bike had a lot of coin in it...
I raced against a stock motor 800ss with my stock motor SV650 and no kidding the bikes were dead even going down the front straight at Roebling.  I did outweigh the Duc rider by about 40 lbs.  If an 800ss has a supersport build on it would it be comparable in HP to a supersport built SV?  In 2010 I only raced against one supersport Duc1000ds and the rider was way better than me and my motor was bone stock.  Anyway, I really don't mind the Ducs in Supersport because they are pretty chunky.  Heck, even is SBK the Ducs aren't too bad.  My SBK SV is a nice bike and with HP in the upper 80s yes I get motored but I can accept that.  My big issue is the Bimotas.  Too much bike for the class.  I can see them in F2 and Thunderbike but too much advantage for LWSS.
When it comes down to it, it's pretty much a waste of timing bringing an SV down to Daytona except for ULWSB or if you build a ridiculous one race motor with 100HP.  Whatever...  I'm just blabbing

benprobst

Why not just build a 100 hp motor that lasts all year? Freshen it up before Daytona and give the bimotas a run for their money.
BP Performance_Team Dreaded_Motul_Michelin Tires_SLU Machine_Midwest Cafe Racing_FastbyEnrico_Outlaw Kustomz_BS Design
Home of the GSXR 565

Farmboy

Quote from: benprobst on January 23, 2011, 05:06:10 PM
Why not just build a 100 hp motor that lasts all year? Freshen it up before Daytona and give the bimotas a run for their money.

Good question. About the time the s2r motor needs freshening up, say 2-3 years, I figure I'm going to have developed as a rider pretty much as much as I ever will. At that point it'll be fairly simple to take that bike to 115-ish, if there's even any point to it. Until then, though, I figure I'll get way more out of racing right now if I try to be as competive as I can on what I got.

BTW, are you running lightweight this year?

Edit: Just realized you were responding to MacoP. Whatever, my answer stands in the other context.
Jim Berard CCS MW#904

MACOP1104

Quote from: benprobst on January 23, 2011, 05:06:10 PM

Unfortunately, it's not in the budget for this year.