News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Racing a 675 with CCS

Started by Chaotic, January 05, 2011, 09:17:47 AM

Chaotic

I am looking to also race with CCS this year and I am unfamiliar with the class structure. Which classes should I race my modified Triumph 675 in? Or I guess I should say, which classes will my 675 have a fighting chance in?  :biggrin:

It isn't SS legal (it has aftermarket wheels etc).

Thanks
Chris
WERA Expert #16
Riders Discount - Spyder Leatherworks - Vinylsaurusrex

mikendzel

Chris,

The following are where the bike would be mixed in with like-powered bikes:
MW Superbike
MW GP
GTU
HW Superbike  (very few 750's, basically a 600 class)
+  the ASRA 600 class if you are attending and ASRA weekend

SoudersD

Very Competitive:
Middleweight Superbike (~7 lap sprints)
- 2 cylinder up to 855cc
- 3 cylinder up to 980cc
- 4 cylinder up to 660cc

Middleweight GP (~7 lap sprints)
- 2 cylinder up to 855cc
- 3 cylinder up to 1000cc
- 4 cylinder up to 650cc

GTU (25 minute races)
- 2 cylinder up to 855cc
- 3 cylinder up to 980cc
- 4 cylinder up to 660cc

Somewhat competitive:
Heavyweight Superbike (~7 lap sprints)
- 2 cylinder up to 1150cc
- 3 cylinder unlimited
- 4 cylinder up to 820cc

GTO (25 minute races)
- Unlimited

Unlimited Superbike (~7 lap sprints)
- Unlimited

Unlimited GP (~7 lap sprints)
- Unlimited
Dave Souders
CCS AM #412 / TPM Blue
'06 SV650

Chaotic

Thanks for the replies guys.

I obviously should just RTFRB :D.

I assume "Superbike" means unlimited modifications. I am unsure about "GTO" and "GTU".

I know my 675 won't be legal in any Superstock Classes, I just need to figure out if any of the mods deem it illegal for any of the SB or GP or GTO or GTU or whatever else there is.
Chris
WERA Expert #16

Chaotic

Uh oh, i gotta get new numbers. My front numbers are 6" (or they might even be 4" or 5", im not sure...the bike isnt here).

But i know they aren't 8".
Chris
WERA Expert #16

SoudersD

Superbike requires a production-based frame with a production-based engine similar to the one it came with that is not de-bored nor de-stroked. Otherwise, mods are completely open so long as you stay within the displacement limits.

The GT classes are completely open with regards to mods (basically GP rules, any frame and any engine, mix and match as you please) so long as you stay within the displacement limits. The GT races tend to be about twice as long as the others.
Dave Souders
CCS AM #412 / TPM Blue
'06 SV650

Chaotic

Ahhh ok, easy enough.

Thanks again.
Chris
WERA Expert #16

SoudersD

Actually I take that back. The frame and engine must be as supplied from the OEM for street use. Frame strengthening and engine mods are completely open, though.

Production-based implies one could reverse engineer a production engine and build one from scratch. I don't think CCS allows this in Superbike.
Dave Souders
CCS AM #412 / TPM Blue
'06 SV650

Chaotic

Ok, i gotcha.

My frame and engine are OEM. The only things i have changed are the wheels, triple clamps and calipers (aside from normal stuff like the exhaust etc).
Chris
WERA Expert #16

Chaotic

Ok, so for the guys who race with WERA and CCS, is there anything special i should know that is different from WERA (Tech, grid procedures etc).

I dont want to be the guy people are pointing at and saying "WTF is that guy doing?  :err:".

Thanks  :biggrin:
Chris
WERA Expert #16

mikendzel

Chris,

I can't speak for the differences, I've never raced WERA, but they way a CCS weekend works is pretty simple:

Register - the registration office has 2 lines; Pre-Enteries and people who haven't pre-entered.  You sign your slips and you are given a transponder.

Tech Inspection - Bring your pink slip, your bike (lower removed but present with you), your helmet and leathers/boots/gloves.  You must have your CCS and ASRA stickers on the bike.  Also bring your Contingency form (available at Registration)

Practices - See weekend schedule

Grid Positions are posted after practice on Saturday, during the lunch break.  On Sunday they are posted after Riders Meeting.  USUALLY!

Gridding - There are 3 calls for races, you are let out onto the track per the race director where you do a warm up/sighting lap and you take your grid position.  2 board, 1 board, sideways 1 board, GREEN FLAG for starts.

I really can't imagine that the procedures are very different from WERA.  And no matter what 'Canolli' says over on the WERA bbs, I've never found the CCS paddock to be anything but very relaxed, good-natured and helpful!  I've made plenty of friends just walking around and talking to people I don't know!   If you make it to a Mid Atlantic round this year, come find me (or Bob Michael, Mike Jordan, Bill Sylvester, Bill Hubbard, Brian Jordan, Rob Barth, Nicky, etc...) under the orange KTM tents; we'll have a beer waiting for ya!!!

mikendzel

OR water/gatorade if we're still racing during the day....   :)

Chaotic

I appreciate the feedback.  :thumb:

Yeah, it sounds pretty much like a WERA weekend and im sure the paddock atmosphere is great. I am yet to be at the track with any org (racing or track days) that didnt have a good pit atmosphere.

I assume they are pretty strict on the numbers. I will have to figure something out. You know how tiny the front of the 675's are. My windscreen is my number plate (except for the very top part, so i can look through it). I know i can probably fit some 6" numbers and maybe some 7" numbers, but 8" will be pushing it (unless i want them to take up the whole screen).

So you are given a transponder? I won't need to bring my personal AMB transponder?

Is there someplace where I can see an actual schedule of the day (race listings/order)? I am trying to figure out which races I will enter.

Thanks again,
Chris
Chris
WERA Expert #16

spyderchick

Chris 6 or 7" numbers will be fine as long as they are legible and san serif.
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

Chaotic

Chris
WERA Expert #16

spyderchick

Hey, at least you're riding expert so we don't have to go over the whole yellow thing.  :biggrin:
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.redflagfund.org

Chaotic

True :biggrin

Now if i can just find someplace to see if the #16 is available in the SE (or get a response from CCS). Unless i am missing it, i can't find a place to see what numbers are currently taken.

I need to find out while you have my suit. Where the "16" is on my back hump, you might have to go below it and put "or 61".  :lmao:
Chris
WERA Expert #16

spyderchick

We can put the 1 and the 6 on individual, spinning, solar powered panels.
19, 16, 61 and 91 can all be yours!  :thumb:

Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.redflagfund.org

roadracer162

Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22
Mark Tenn Motorsports, Michelin tire guy in Florida.

spyderchick

But Mark, that would be easy and ruin the mystery!
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.redflagfund.org

Chaotic

Quote from: spyderchick on January 06, 2011, 09:52:18 AM
We can put the 1 and the 6 on individual, spinning, solar powered panels.
19, 16, 61 and 91 can all be yours!  :thumb:

Awesome :lmao:
Chris
WERA Expert #16

ahastings

couple of differences between wera and ccs. no vintage with ccs so on sat you will have the GTL,GTU,GTO races which are the same as wera solo 20s, plus you will have a few sprint races usually mw gp, F40 and a couple others. tech is a little different if your bike is wired for wera it will pass ccs but youhave to bring your lowers to tech and they also check your stickers for contingency then instead of after the race like wera. Transponders are provided and need to be mounted in the back not on the fork leg.
Arnie
A&M Motorsports
Mid-Atlantic VP Fuel Vendor

Chaotic

Thanks Arnie, that is good info :thumb:

Question: Do the points earned in the GT races count towards the Overall Championships? Or do only Sprints count?

Thanks
Chris
WERA Expert #16

spyderchick

Chris, I believe that GT classes do count towards the regional Championships. It's classes that specify exclusions of machines or riders that do not, for example, Supertwins or F40.
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.redflagfund.org

antirich

I've raced mine in SS middleweight and heavy, SB middle and heavy, GP middle and unlimited, GTU, GTO, and F40. To be honest, no one is runing a true Superbike or Unlimited bike in the non SuperStock classes. Same guys in pretty much all the classes, just less of them in the SBK and GP. Still, it's mainly middleweight and it can get packed (especially at NJMP).

I found most guys are running 600s or 1000s, so Heavyweight is kind of moot. Still don't understand why there's a GP class, but hey, it's more racing for all of us  :ahhh:

I prefer to stay out of MWSS and MWSBK because of the crowds, especially turn one! Just getting old I guess.

Chaotic

Thanks Rich.

Mine isn't SS legal, so that rules out those classes. If I try to avoid the chaos in the MW-SB class, that leaves me with HW-SB and the GP/GT classes.

That might be a good plan.
Chris
WERA Expert #16

mikendzel

Quote from: Chaotic on January 10, 2011, 09:35:15 AM
Thanks Rich.

Mine isn't SS legal, so that rules out those classes. If I try to avoid the chaos in the MW-SB class, that leaves me with HW-SB and the GP/GT classes.

That might be a good plan.

I think right now, it would be tough to make the case that crowds were a reason for not racing a certain class as an expert.  Unfortunately there are not many crowds on the  track these days in any classes.