SV 650 Superbike classes (Winter Dreaming)

Started by gkotlin, December 31, 2010, 11:54:14 PM

MACOP1104

Quote from: HAWK on January 03, 2011, 06:20:20 PM
George, there are tracks where your bike has an advantage over my SV and there are tracks where my Sv has an advantage over you. I think you know that I don't have an issue with your bike in LW but I do have a big issue with some of the bike that are petitioning or even being let into the class. Your quote above shows that whether you realize it or not you see the writing on the wall and when some of these bikes get in not even your beast will be safe.

Yep,  and a 10-15 year old TZ 250 with a good rider is going to be a tough bike to beat in Thunderbike.  Not only that, but you could probably pick up a 95 TZ for 5 grand...

HAWK

Quote from: MACOP1104 on January 04, 2011, 12:32:11 PM
Yep,  and a 10-15 year old TZ 250 with a good rider is going to be a tough bike to beat in Thunderbike.  Not only that, but you could probably pick up a 95 TZ for 5 grand...

Now that they are allowed in the SB classes I am seriously considering adding one to my stable.  I think the ongoing maintenance costs of properly caring for a 2 stroke is going to be more $ than I can handle though.
Paul Onley
CCS Midwest EX #413

benprobst

Quote from: HAWK on January 05, 2011, 05:46:53 AM
Now that they are allowed in the SB classes I am seriously considering adding one to my stable.  I think the ongoing maintenance costs of properly caring for a 2 stroke is going to be more $ than I can handle though.

On the 250's a lot of that can be mitigated by backing the tune down a bit. Especially if you start off with a fresh one. The bikes extra speed, if prperly developed, should be devastating in the right hands.
BP Performance_Team Dreaded_Motul_Michelin Tires_SLU Machine_Midwest Cafe Racing_FastbyEnrico_Outlaw Kustomz_BS Design
Home of the GSXR 565

Peter998

I am fairly new to racing 2010 was my first year. I race a Ducati 1000. So I guess I am biased, but here is my opinion about all of the talk about the LW class.
The Bimotas, Ducati's and the Buells definately make more horse power than the SV ,that is clear. I have only ever seen a Bimota on track in Florida and yes they are fast as hell, but I don't mind racing against them. Don't we see HP disparities in other classes? In the HW classes don't 600's compete with 750's, on a regular basis? In super twins don't 848's compete with 1098's and now 1198's. My team mate won a national amateur supertwins championship on an 848 against much faster 1098's.
To me at the end of the day it comes down to rider ability much more so that equipment. I think at the expert level there are a couple of guys that are going to win on whatever you put them on. Just because you go out and spend a bunch of money on a Bimota it doesn't mean you are going to hang with  the fast guys.
In reading about the Homestead races in December, there was an SV from New Hampshire that beat all the Bimotas except the #4. And the #4 was at his home track and is reigning multiple national championship winner.
I don't mind a rule change as long as I have a place to race my bike with a decent sized grid. Maybe a weight rule like there is in ASRA Thunderbike would work?
Peter Meringolo 2010 Expert/ASRA # 998
ECS Racing

MACOP1104

Peter,  Any new racer is a good thing these days.  No one likes small grids and the more riders the better everything is.    There are HP disparities in other classes but your example of a 600 racing a 750 is a rider on a 600 signing up for hvwt class which is for 750s.  Obviously the 750 rider can not race in middleweight.  I race up classes also.  My SS SV650 is no match for true LWGP machines but I do enter the class.   I'm not saying we should ban the air cooled v twins from all lightweight classes.  I do think the air cooled 1000s/1100s are too much bike for Lightweight SS, for sure the Bimota. 
Yes, all the Bimotas are in FL but they do venture up to Roebling and VIR.   Very impressive machines...   

Peter998

MACOP1104,

I understand. Do you think if the 1000s/1100s were out of the LWSS class there would be enough bikes on the grid?

I personally think that something needs to be done to bolster the Thunderbike class. It was the class I looked forward to most, and was the most disappointed with the grids. Up at LRRS it was me and 1 other bike a 748.
Peter Meringolo 2010 Expert/ASRA # 998
ECS Racing

MACOP1104

Peter,
In this day of shrinking grids it would be hard to pull them out.  The Ducati 1000s in LWSS aren't too bad.  They do have a HP advantage but they are heavy. 

I think Thunderbike, LWGP, and GT Lights  are perfect for all of the air cooled twins.   Build em as big as you want!

If Suzuki upped their game and made the SV a 700 or 750 from the factory the playing field would be pretty even.

twilkinson3

Make it a sv800 and lets call it good.....hell I'd buy 1 or 2 right there to go racing hehe

Farmboy

BwaHAWHawhahahahha. Haven't been on the board in probably 6 months and it's SSDY. Back to the original question, Greg, a 744 SV wouldn't run in any classes, period, cuz it would be blown up, HA-HA. Just kidding. Nice big hole to shovel money into, though. Probably cheaper to just get a Duc, ultimately. Plus, think of all chicks you'd score points with to boot.

OK, neg rep away, kids.

Incidentally, and seriously, AGAIN, it's the rider, not the bike.

I predict Kevin Van Engen is gonna tear up MW LW on his 85 hp SV this year. He was this  >< close to running 13's @ BHF last fall, and he's making some improvements to the bike this winter. Hell, I figure I'm gonna drop 2 seconds just pitting for him. (14's....Ha, talk about winter dreaming...)

We'll see.

Ow. I'm gonna be up there with Rick.

Happy New Year, ya'll!!!
Jim Berard CCS MW#904

Kurlon

Kawi just redesigned the Ninja 250
Honda is bringing over an all new CBR 250R
Suzuki is still making the GS500F
Yamaha has the WR250X vs the Kawi KLX250SF vs the Honda CRF230M...

Seems like there are proper 'ultra lights' on the market or coming onto the market again in the US?

benprobst

Quote from: Kurlon on January 06, 2011, 04:07:00 PM
Kawi just redesigned the Ninja 250
Honda is bringing over an all new CBR 250R
Suzuki is still making the GS500F
Yamaha has the WR250X vs the Kawi KLX250SF vs the Honda CRF230M...

Seems like there are proper 'ultra lights' on the market or coming onto the market again in the US?

Only if you want to get lapped multilpe multiple times on any of the bikes you have listed. Unless of course you plan on kicking ALL of the current ULW bikes out of ULW.
BP Performance_Team Dreaded_Motul_Michelin Tires_SLU Machine_Midwest Cafe Racing_FastbyEnrico_Outlaw Kustomz_BS Design
Home of the GSXR 565

Kurlon

Quote from: benprobst on January 06, 2011, 04:50:05 PM
Only if you want to get lapped multilpe multiple times on any of the bikes you have listed. Unless of course you plan on kicking ALL of the current ULW bikes out of ULW.

Or you rename the classes to match what they really are and slot in a 5th class for the true Ultralights?