SV 650 Superbike classes (Winter Dreaming)

Started by gkotlin, December 31, 2010, 11:54:14 PM

gkotlin

So if you had a 744cc bored out SV 650, it would run in the following classes?
Any exceptions or mods that wouldn't be allowed in these classes?  It's winter, so bench racing / dreaming.

Super Twins
Lightweight Grand Prix
Thunderbike
GT Lights

A stock SV could run in all those as well and:
Lightweight Super Sport (with DOT tires)
Ultralight Superbike

How's my interpretation of the rulebook?
Greg K.
CCS MW Expert # 12
2000 SV 650 - 1989 FZR 400
Vinylsaurusrex.com - Cyclepath Racing - Safety First Racing - STT

roadracer162

You don't have to be stock to run Ultralight or SS. Modifications cn be done-no ovebore for ultralight and no high compression pistons for SS.

There is also LW SB and LW F40 if you are of age.
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22
Mark Tenn Motorsports, Michelin tire guy in Florida.

George_Linhart

Quote from: gkotlin on December 31, 2010, 11:54:14 PM
So if you had a 744cc bored out SV 650, it would run in the following classes?
Any exceptions or mods that wouldn't be allowed in these classes?  It's winter, so bench racing / dreaming.

I don't think you could do this just with an overbore, you would need a stroker motor to reach 744cc.  Would the cases even stand up to this without substatial gusseting or other modifications?  It would be an interesting build though....

George

gkotlin

It was more the logic then the feasibility of the build.  I just wanted to be sure if I increased displacement past 650cc or 700cc, I wouldn't be restricted to one class. 

Greg K.
CCS MW Expert # 12

Cowboy 6

QuoteI wouldn't be restricted to one class

Not a chance. You will still be 300-500 cc less than everything else in LW
C6

www.NeedGod.com  ....   www.TPOParts.com  ....   www.Christiansportbike.com.com ....  www.woodcraft-cfm.com ....  www.ebcbrakes.com ....www.baxleycompanies.com

George_Linhart

Quote from: Cowboy 6 on January 01, 2011, 03:59:20 PM
Not a chance. You will still be 300-500 cc less than everything else in LW

I think we have done this before, but, what the heck - its a new year...

Liquid cooled, 4 valve per cylinder motor = much better than air cooled 2 valve motor.  It isn't just displacement, it is about the potential to be thermally efficient.  There is no reason that a well built SV superbike, with sufficient investment (money and development) can not be more potent than the other built LW superbikes. 

Realy, I don't think your problem is cubic inches, it is cubic dollars.  Feel free to spend more if you want to keep up.

George

roadracer162

There are a few 744 SV's outthere and yes they can last. Extra cooling is needed.

If it were all about the displacement then the SV650 should be in middleweight. And you think the FZR400 and the SV650 is an even match?
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22
Mark Tenn Motorsports, Michelin tire guy in Florida.

Cowboy 6

Quote from: George_Linhart on January 01, 2011, 04:31:19 PM

Liquid cooled, 4 valve per cylinder motor = much better than air cooled 2 valve motor.  It isn't just displacement, it is about the potential to be thermally efficient.  There is no reason that a well built SV superbike, with sufficient investment (money and development) can not be more potent than the other built LW superbikes. 

George

I am not going to argue with you. I only have two things to say.

1)  LOL
2)  I can tell you are from the MidWest

So, say whatever you want. I am telling you in advance, I will not respond.
C6

www.NeedGod.com  ....   www.TPOParts.com  ....   www.Christiansportbike.com.com ....  www.woodcraft-cfm.com ....  www.ebcbrakes.com ....www.baxleycompanies.com

gkotlin

Uh oh.  What have I started.  haha

Everything I've heard is that cooling is sufficient in the SV with the overbore.

What would winter be without some bench racing.
Greg K.
CCS MW Expert # 12

HAWK

If you go 3mm over (700CC) you lose a lot of the clamping area so your head gasket becomes marginal to begin with and if you don't run a bigger radiator then you run a serious risk of head gasket failure.
Paul Onley
CCS Midwest EX #413

MACOP1104

Quote from: HAWK on January 02, 2011, 12:06:49 AM
If you go 3mm over (700CC) you lose a lot of the clamping area so your head gasket becomes marginal to begin with and if you don't run a bigger radiator then you run a serious risk of head gasket failure.

There's a set of BILLET SV cylinders for sale on the WERA Forum that takes care of the thin cyl walls/ clamping issues with the 3mm kits but, I think it puts you out of SBK.  Then again, this is CCS, the things are probably supersport legal...
Do yourself a favor and just race a 600.  It's cheaper than building/racing a ltwt bike with CCS.  OR....
Do yourself a huge favor and just race WERA with your SV.  You won't have to deal with 100+HP air cooled 1000s 

MACOP1104

Quote from: George_Linhart on January 01, 2011, 04:31:19 PM
I think we have done this before, but, what the heck - its a new year...

Realy, I don't think your problem is cubic inches, it is cubic dollars.  Feel free to spend more if you want to keep up.

George

What the heck, I've said this before but it's a New Year....

Yep, and that's the LTWT class that has evolved with CCS.  LTWT should be the place for the budget racer to get his feet wet without spending a ton of cash.   With CCS, that no longer exists.   Oh wait, yes it does, the new Ninja 250 Class.  Give me a break....