News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Classes for Aprilia RS250 / Yamaha RZ396 hybrid

Started by 50Joe, December 14, 2010, 09:19:48 PM

50Joe

Long time WERA racer here and I have RTFRB.  Last winter  I built a hybrid using an Aprilia RS250 chassis and Yamaha RZ350 engine with big bore kit at 396cc.  Looking at CCS, it appears this bike fits in a couple of classes.  But, what does this forum say for the best classes to run it in and where is it all legal in?  BTW, I'm over 40 yrs old so if it would be competitive and legal in Lightweight F40 I would be interested in that too.  Let me know your thoughts.
Cheers,
Joe Pomeroy
WERA Expert #2
CCS SE Expert #25
ASRA Pro #25
WERA Expert #2
AHRMA # x22
Motul, Bridgestone, Fast From The Past, Cycle Gear, Foothills Motorsports, Integrity Tool

roadracer162

Joe- I took a look at doing the same and I must say that I am envious of your build. Yes your bike will be legal and competitive in LW GP and GT lights at least for the 2010 year. If you never said it was a hybrid I am certain that no-one would have known or even cared that it was an RZ350 motor.

In 2011 your bike may be legal in Lw F40 but I would have to say that under the current 2010 rules it would be a HW F40 machine. I am guessing though with the advent of the 250GP bike inclusion into LW F40 then your bike will be the same.

I am curious. What kind of power are you producing? I had planned on using one of those ultra trick motors from Aus that produces some 120HP.

Mark
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22
Mark Tenn Motorsports, Michelin tire guy in Florida.

Cowboy 6

Hey, if it only makes 120hp its definitely a lightweight bike. Unless it would be tossed into Ultralight..    :rollseyes:
C6

www.NeedGod.com  ....   www.TPOParts.com  ....   www.Christiansportbike.com.com ....  www.woodcraft-cfm.com ....  www.ebcbrakes.com ....www.baxleycompanies.com

50Joe

My engine is not a Two Stroke Shop engine.  Their's is 485cc and uses a trick ignition and powervalves.  The engine cradle kit was sourced from them though.  My engine is pretty easy to duplicate.  It's simply an RZ bottom end with 4mm stroked crank and 66mm bore Trinity Racing Cheetah Cub kit.  This works out to 396cc.  It is the non-powervalve kit.  PVL ignition and Mikuni 38mm carbs.  So, nothing really special.  But, it does matter how you put it all together with carbs, pipes, and proper porting.  I estimate low 80's in HP arena.  Wet weight is just under 300lbs. so I'm not close to 250GP bike territory.  Since a decent running 250GP should be putting out 80 HP easily and weigh around 250 lbs., a good rider should still beat me based on weight and handling of the bike.   

I'm pretty sure I'll be checking out the CCS scene for a change of pace while still doing WERA.  WERA has no CMP scheduled this year and I really like that track since they made the changes to it and added the garages.
CCS SE Expert #25
ASRA Pro #25
WERA Expert #2
AHRMA # x22
Motul, Bridgestone, Fast From The Past, Cycle Gear, Foothills Motorsports, Integrity Tool

50Joe

Oh yea, I'm always up front with what I'm running and always want to be 100% legal.  I hate cheaters and believe the rulebook is black and white and everyone should adhere to it.  That's why I want to get clear clarification on my bike before I bring it out in CCS.  I'll most likely get written confirmation form a CCS official as well.  I don;t wnat grief from fellow racers come racing day.
CCS SE Expert #25
ASRA Pro #25
WERA Expert #2
AHRMA # x22

gpz11

Hey Joe, I believe we met down at Barber for the AHRMA finals. My buddy had the blue Aprilia / Banshee motor bike. This style of bike is legal for LW GP.

That's what I ran my TZR/RZ350ish in. Same 4mm stroker crank but with only .040 over cylinders, 35mm TMX, V-Force reeds, PVL ign, custom pipes, Mine made about 77HP but it had a 280 lb gorilla on it's back so it wasn't too competitive.

Not sure what other classes it'd fit into.

roadracer162

Joe-the only place to get the proper clarification is from the CCS officials. I don't think you will have anyone complainig about what you have. The package you have seems very interesting and competitive depending on how much you weigh. The Aprillia by itself is a really good Ultralight machine but only with a small dude or dudette on it.

300# and 80hp is pretty clost to a well set-up SV such as Ed Key's SS SV. Of course the characteristics of the two stroke will be quite different than a 80hp SV.

Good luck with your racing in CCS.
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22

50Joe

Mark,
Thanks for the feedback.  I weigh between 150 and 155 lbs.  I've e-mailed Kevin Elliott for official clarification.  The bike is ready to go for 2011 so I plan to make it out to RRR in March.  I wish I could use my WERA number since it is simply #2.  Oh well, I guess I'll have to go back to a 2 digit or 3 digit number again. 
CCS SE Expert #25
ASRA Pro #25
WERA Expert #2
AHRMA # x22

f3racer

Will
Former CCS MW Novice #81, WERA Novice #81
AHRMA Heavyweight SBK #81, DD's Racing Endurance Team #773
2020 Tuono Factory, 2000 RC51, 1980 CB750/823

50Joe

I am in Upstate South Carolina.  I'm looking at running the Southeast rounds.
CCS SE Expert #25
ASRA Pro #25
WERA Expert #2
AHRMA # x22

roadracer162

Joe,

I believe you will do well there. RRR will be a pretty good test where it is many times the first race of the season for many participants. It is a multi regional race and it draws some fast folks. You just may be running against some very fast Bimotas and 250GP bikes and riders, but there are very fast SV guys too.

Good luck and I hope to see you at probably Jennings.
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22

50Joe

Cool.  What times do the fast guys turn at RRR in the LW classes?  Last summer I turned a high 1:19 and that was with shitty forks and too short gearing.  I was rolling off the throttle at the start / finish line so I wouldn't over rev the engine.  Traxxion has reworked the forks and I've improved on the bike set up since then.  I'm hoping to get down to at least 1:18's. 
CCS SE Expert #25
ASRA Pro #25
WERA Expert #2
AHRMA # x22

roadracer162

18's are excellent times no matter who you are. I noticed back in 2007 Steve Wenner aboard his RS125 would do those times. steve is a very fast Ex on his 125GP and has been riding for some years now. Typically some of the fast SV riders would be in the 22's but I wouldn't know about the extreme built SV's.

With that said I am told that in 2010 when CCS visited RRR Kevin aboard his extreme built LW class Bimota acquired some 15's which is pretty good for even the Middleweight group. In contrast I noticed that Steve Wenner in 2007 was capable of(I suspect on his 250GP) 17's. Kevin and Steve typically compete in the LW GP class.

What it sounds like to me Joe is that you will be a very strong front runner in whatever class you choose.
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22

stickboy274

Joe always puts a good effort in. I'll see you there joe.
Stickboy Racing 803-413-0721
Bridgestone/Dunlop Tire Rep.
www.stickboyracing.com
FB: Stickboy Racing

50Joe

Derek,
I didn't know you were on this forum too.  I've decided to branch out and give CCS a try.  Their classes give me more options for the hybrid than WERA does.  Hey, any differences in B'stone contingency versus WERA?  Also, I'll need a set of slicks for that first event in March at RRR. 
CCS SE Expert #25
ASRA Pro #25
WERA Expert #2
AHRMA # x22

apriliaman

At RRR in lw supersport we were doing 1:21. LW superbike most were doing 1:18-1:22 in that range.I'll look for your bike there.
Winner of at least 50 CCS Lightweight Regional Championships
3 National Championships
Top 10 plate holder since 2006

50Joe

My hybrid is certainly not SS legal and it is also not Superbike legal due to the mixed origin engine/chassis.  I may request a provisional approval to allow my bike in LW Superbike but I haven't decided yet.  I know it's already legal in LWGP, LW F-40, and GTL.  That may be enough classes for me to have fun in.  Top end rebuilds start to get pricey if you put major miles on this thing.
CCS SE Expert #25
ASRA Pro #25
WERA Expert #2
AHRMA # x22

stickboy274

Cont. should be the same. I've always asked for it to go across the board the same. It makes it easy for everyone.

I'll be there for sure. I'll bring a tire or two. They have some fun folks hanging out at these races also. It'll be a good time. 
Stickboy Racing 803-413-0721
Bridgestone/Dunlop Tire Rep.
www.stickboyracing.com
FB: Stickboy Racing