News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

New Rookie class in 2011? Details?

Started by antirich, December 11, 2010, 02:27:39 PM

antirich

I saw in the newsletter that a new Rookie class is planed for 2011. Great idea, wish we had something like that last year to make the transition easier.

Anyone with some details on what the classes are, and how they'll operate (third wave, separate class, etc.)

And how do they define 'one year of racing experience'?. It is just time based on how many races you did last year. Thinking that someone with only two races in two years would be the same level as two races in 6 months.

tug296

In the old days it was simple, Novice, Amateur, Expert.
Henry Madsen CCS Expert #396 
2004 Am. Super Twins Champion
Florida Region,  
Moto ST #96, Corvette #6, Patriot Guard Rider

Super Dave

Quote from: tug296 on December 11, 2010, 02:51:01 PM
In the old days it was simple, Novice, Amateur, Expert.

I think before that it was, "Do you have a bike?"   :biggrin:
Super Dave

Cowboy 6

I believe the LRRS series uses 10 races.....
C6

www.NeedGod.com  ....   www.TPOParts.com  ....   www.Christiansportbike.com.com ....  www.woodcraft-cfm.com ....  www.ebcbrakes.com ....www.baxleycompanies.com

SVbadguy

The only problem with a Rookies class is the prevalence of trackdays these days.  You'll have some guys that have been doing them for years and have tons of track time with lap times comparable to experts vs a some guy whose first time on the track was during the race school at the beginning of his first race weekend.  This class doesn't change how things exist already.
Mid-Atlantic Region 
MARRC Exec Committee at-large & Radio Committee Chair

Super Dave

Quote from: SVbadguy on December 12, 2010, 02:10:26 PM
The only problem with a Rookies class is the prevalence of trackdays these days.  You'll have some guys that have been doing them for years and have tons of track time with lap times comparable to experts vs a some guy whose first time on the track was during the race school at the beginning of his first race weekend.  This class doesn't change how things exist already.
Might.

Is there going to be contingency in the rookie class?  If there isn't, as I proposed in a three tier structure a few years ago, then it would be in the best interest of a rider to go where there is contingency for them to get some return on their racing.
Super Dave

blankwall

Its only select evens i personally dont like the idea. Race novice expert or go home.

Super Dave

Super Dave

apriliaman

One of my friend that I know does like 10 trackdays a year but never raced before.He can do 1:16 at summit on a bone stock R6 with only race tires and better brake pads.So if he started racing,he would be winning alot of races.Thats why there are so many fast first year racers now then lets say 10 years ago when I started.When I started I didnt even know about any trackdays,and I never did one.I went straight to the races.I actually rode the bike to summit point,took the lights off,raced it,put the lights back on and rode it home.Thats a real rookie!! what I did.
Winner of at least 50 CCS Lightweight Regional Championships
3 National Championships
Top 10 plate holder since 2006

blankwall

Exactly. Track days are the reason grids arent full. I dont think a rookie class will help anything. A lot of people have no desire to race. They love track days.

gkotlin

So what are the details?  Who's a rookie and who's an amateur?
Greg K.
CCS MW Expert # 12
2000 SV 650 - 1989 FZR 400
Vinylsaurusrex.com - Cyclepath Racing - Safety First Racing - STT

TrophyGal

Quote from: gkotlin on December 20, 2010, 01:30:20 PM
So what are the details?  Who's a rookie and who's an amateur?
I talked with Kevin while he was thinking up this class and believe I know what it will be about.

A Rookie is racing his/her FIRST RACE ever .. a newbie who has just signed up for an Amateur license.  Can never enter this class again after the 1st time.  [EDIT: Mailer says "open to Amateur riders with less than 1 year's experience" -- makes much more sense to keep the class going]

Trophies will be given for 1st place only and divided like GTO, GTU, GT Lights, but I don't know if they'll actually be called that.

Until more info is announced by the boss, tho', it's not written in stone.

kvanengen

gkotlin

Very interesting to say the least.

It will be interesting to see how this and the normal amateur grids are.  Patiently waiting for details.  This may be what we needed to get those people that are on the fence, out for racing. 
Greg K.
CCS MW Expert # 12
2000 SV 650 - 1989 FZR 400
Vinylsaurusrex.com - Cyclepath Racing - Safety First Racing - STT

roadracer162

I like the idea of this class.

Not to sound negative but if trophies are given wouldn't that be more expense? I know one plaque doesn't seem like much but plagues accross all class' can be quite expensive especially if there is no participation. Maybe a VIP pass for the winner's next race. Heck I wish I got a VIP pass for each time I won.

After rereading an earlier post three class' doesn't seem too much. One can even take a LW bike and race all three class'.
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22
Mark Tenn Motorsports, Michelin tire guy in Florida.

roadracer162

Quote from: SVbadguy on December 12, 2010, 02:10:26 PM

If they possess the skill and are that fast maybe they can be bumped to the next level.
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22
Mark Tenn Motorsports, Michelin tire guy in Florida.